Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Bowl 2008

• 04-08-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Don't know if there's much interest on boards about this but said id start a thread just to see..
    The bowl is a week away.
    Just wondering what peoples predictions are for this??
    vikings vs the rebels

i think UL are gonna win this,they didn't play well against the rebels during the season but in the second half of that match they really started coming back and i realy think they have what it takes to beat the rebels, it should be a very good match!
    what do other people think? and are many of ye heading down to cork to watch it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'll be there as will about 500 others. Winner will depend on who's there on the day, Rebels were missing a lot against Cork and if they don't have them back I think Vikings will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

I think losing to the Rebels this year was a good wake-up call for the Vikings. Don't think they will let it happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'll be there Sunday also.

I think the Vikings will take this one, they are a very impressive team.

I reffed their playoff game against the Trojans and the Trojans were simply no match for them - and that is without saying a single bad thing against the Trojans. They themselves are a very strong team and for UL to beat them in such a fashion just goes to show how good a team they really are.

I expect UL to run the ball at the Rebels - and see success with it. The Rebels have a strong passing game but the Vikings defense is probably the best in the league and I think the Rebels will have some trouble moving the ball against them.

Vikings by 2 scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Who won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Vikings won 14-12. Tight game by the sounds of it but I haven't been able to contact any of the vikes yet to find out how it played out. No doubt they're all flaming.
    Vikes were up 14-3 at the half with the Rebels pulling back to 14-12 in the third, and that's how the score ended.
    Two in a row for the vikes and a third final on the trot. Vintage.

Congrats boys, oh how I wish I was there to have witnessed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

UL blocked a field goal late on which proved crucial. Adrian Garvey scored on a run and then one of UL's lbs returned an INT for a TD. UL deserved victory. Rebels did well to come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Any extra details, especially on names who scored (apart from the always reliable Garvey?)

Putting a wee mention of it into my UL column in one of the local papers (deadline today) and I can't remember where I wrote down the phone numbers from the Vikings I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 onesocks

Hope i got this to you in time

Grogan FG for Rebels.
    Adrian Garvey TD
    Darragh O Callaghan INT ret TD
    Seamus Feehan 2 pt
    Dennehy to Smyth td grgan xp
    Glen Carr blocked a 4th qtr FG
    Rebels safety for illegal block in endzone

What paper would it be in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cheers onesocks, appreciate it.

Went into the Limerick Independent, local paper, small column and I only had space for about 200 words of that for the shamrock bowl final but thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PTG

jdivision wrote: »
    UL blocked a field goal late on which proved crucial.

While it proved crucial, it wasnt technically blocked by UL, the Rebels RG was shoved back about 3 yards and it hit his lid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PTG

onesocks wrote: »
    Hope i got this to you in time

Grogan FG for Rebels.
    Adrian Garvey TD
    Darragh O Callaghan INT ret TD
    Seamus Feehan 2 pt
    Dennehy to Smyth td grgan xp
    Glen Carr blocked a 4th qtr FG
    Rebels safety for illegal block in endzone

What paper would it be in?

Grogan FG for Rebels. 3-0
    Adrian Garvey TD 3-6
    Darragh O Callaghan INT ret TD 3-12
    Seamus Feehan 2 pt 3-14
    Rebels safety for illegal block in endzone 5-14
    Dennehy to Smyth td 11-14
    Grogan xp 12-14

Thats the correct order

Glen Carr blocked a 4th qtr FG (nope he didn't, see my post above)

I was going by the official game report online at www.iafl.info
    Either way, Carr and Coen pushed the Rebels player back and it hit one or all three of them on the way to being what it usually called in American Football a "blocked" field goal. I've never seen it anywhere being called " kicking teams lineman deflected the ball with helmet after being pushed back by DTs" field goal.
    So for sake of a 6-7 line scoring summary, I thought blocked field goal was better. Not that I'd be pedantic about it or anything.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

The official game report didn't go up on iafl.info until after you posted your summary. In fact, at that time the only scoring summary/report online was the one on iafs.co.uk, which you copied verbatim (might have been you who posted it there).

While we're being pedantic, like...

I guess the FG was 'blocked', although it shouldn't really be credited to anyone from UL cos it didn't touch them.

Field goal "blocked" it is then.

Cracking good game too. Hope the DVD is good.

Advertisement