Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W license

• 04-08-2008 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

i will be applying for my W license next month and i want to know what vehicles come under "work vehicle" other than tractors.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

it just covers tractors as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

Unimogs and Cherry pickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Tractors, and most other farm machinery such as self propelled sprayers, harvesters, mowers and combines. Also plant machines such as teleporters diggers, dumpers and other plant machines registered for road use as work vehicles. Unimog if its registered as a tractor.

Might allow you to drive a quad bike but they can be registered in different ways so i'd double check that one.

by the way a "JCB" can be anything, its a brand name,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

"JCB" stands for J.C. Bamford, the inventor of the "backhoe" type digger. Other companies such as CASE, Massey Ferguson, Ford etc. also produced or have produced the same sort of machines, but JCB has become the generic term for them. I believe the W licence is for the machines listed by MrFoxman above, and basically covers agri/plant machines that don't fit any other categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

il gatto wrote: »
    "JCB" stands for J.C. Bamford.

wow the J actually stands J and the C for C. He must have got an aweful slagging at school:D

they should have named him Joseph Cyril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A useful rule of thumb I once heard was that the 'W' licence entitles the holder to drive vehicles on the public road that can legally run on marked gas oil (green diesel).
    Might not be absolutely 100% accurate, but I can't think of any exceptions at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

emaherx wrote: »
    wow the J actually stands J and the C for C. He must have got an aweful slagging at school:D

they should have named him Joseph Cyril

As opposed to Jay Cee?:D It could've been worse. The guy who started the Case company was called Jerome Increase Case:D

Advertisement