Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Slugs?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Shot gun slugs in ireland,
    :confused:
    can u get them?
    and are they legal?
    what would they be used for?

short and sweet!
    :D:):D:):D:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

enda50 wrote: »
    Shot gun slugs in ireland,
    can u get them?
    and are they legal?
    what would they be used for?

short and sweet!
    :D:):D:):D:)

yea you can get them
    legal yes i believe,but soon not to be legal
    used for shooting deer and the like in USA (I THINK) ilegal to shoot deer with them here.
    Note: they can blow your gun apart if your gun can't take e'm or if you have a tight choke in your barrel be carefull.i've a 5 pack of slugs for last 2 years or so and i'm still unsure about them and i've a beretta extrema thats make for these loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They're not becoming illegal unless you've heard something different to everyone else? They're on the list of restricted items, which means you've to demonstrate a good use for them, such as perhaps static shotgun target shooting or the like which requires them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IWM's correct, they're becoming restricted not illegal. They are illegal to use on deer though.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

legal yes i believe,but soon not to be legal

As far as I understand it they were legal and now they're legal but restricted.

You can still get them, just they're declared restricted. What that'll mean in the real world remains to be seen but from what I can tell the law says the following about restricted ammunition:
    • If you're convicted of an offence involving restricted ammunition the penalty is higher than it would be if the ammunition was not restricted.
    • Some exceptions to holding a certificate do not apply and a certificate would be needed in the following cases:
      • For humane killers requiring restricted ammunition.
      • Employees of an RFD possessing, using or carrying the ammunition. (A special authorisation is available)
      • Employees of couriers/warehousers possessing or carrying the ammunition. (A special authorisation is available)
      • Auctioneers and their employees possessing or carrying the ammunition. (A special authorisation is available)
      • Use of the ammunition at a shooting gallery at a funfair/amusement hall/carnival/etc without the people involved holding a certificate.
      • Use of the ammunition in theatrical performances.
    • You can't hold it on a training certificate.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

can you use slugs on Fox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup,could be used on fox,wont be much left though!:D.
    There is a myth that you cant use slugs in a full choke.Ihave shot them both in 12and 20 Ga for years,with no problems.ASFIK it is only extreme full chokesAKA Turkey chokes that will not take them.Just read your chokes instructions.
    Wonder how they are going to sort out this restricted slug ammo.Considering back in the 70s /80s they were not for sale either due to the troubles.Yet plenty of folks had them and simply made them from scrap lead and a shotgun slug mould,and reloaded the slug instead of shot in their cartridges.Or made "hill billy slugs".Sounds like another "sounds good on paper,difficult to enforce in the reality." law

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup,could be used on fox,wont be much left though!:D.
    There is a myth that you cant use slugs in a full choke.Ihave shot them both in 12and 20 Ga for years,with no problems.ASFIK it is only extreme full chokesAKA Turkey chokes that will not take them.Just read your chokes instructions.
    Wonder how they are going to sort out this restricted slug ammo.Considering back in the 70s /80s they were not for sale either due to the troubles.Yet plenty of folks had them and simply made them from scrap lead and a shotgun slug mould,and reloaded the slug instead of shot in their cartridges.Or made "hill billy slugs".Sounds like another "sounds good on paper,difficult to enforce in the reality." law
    i know a man that made them in the 70 s by melting lead pellets into a spud they shot deer with them around glenealy and rathrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Moved from For Sale to general Shooting forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Enforceable or not, making your own slugs would be illegal without reloading permit and whatever for of permit needed to use restricted ammo. I doubt the authorities give two hoots about the practicalities of new rules.

Not to mention that, since we are law-abiding sportsmen and not criminals, we tend to obey the laws as written, and therefore enforcement does not arise as a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I still maintain that they should be legal for deer here: big slow moving lead projectile, plenty accurate at the sort of ranges the big majority of deer appear to be shot at in this country, ideal for use in the heavily forested areas most Irish deer inhabit, and a much smaller 'danger area' in the event of a misdirected shot than a fullbore deer rifle.

kowloon wrote: »
    Enforceable or not, making your own slugs would be illegal without reloading permit and whatever for of permit needed to use restricted ammo. I doubt the authorities give two hoots about the practicalities of new rules.

Only when they get around to the practicality of enforcing them.Any LEO will tell you that there is a rake of "laws" on the book that could be enforced,but isnt.Due to time,manpower,paperwork etc.It will be very intresting to see how this restricted ammo will be enforced,if at all.

Any of you ever been done for crossing the street on a red light???A 50 euro offence under the road traffic act.And would make the state millions,but ever hear of a proceeding for jay walking??

Indeed Rovi makes a good point,a shotgun slug is somtimes the only allowed ammo for deer hunting in certain states,if you are within a certain distance of urban areas.Plus they have a better punch through brush as well.Not advocating shooting thru brush mind,but they are not as sensitive to deflection as a rifle bullet.
    But hide bound traditionalism states deer must be shot with rifles.Amazed that they dont require you to be dressed in tweed and sprout a monocle as well.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It will be very intresting to see how this restricted ammo will be enforced,if at all.
    Perhaps I wasn't direct and clear enough, but the concept of enforcing the law doesn't arise here, because as we have always maintained to the Gardai and to the DoJ for the past thirty or more years, we are not the problem they have to deal with because. we. obey. the. law.

If the Gardai had to worry about enforcing firearms laws with all 225,000 of us, then civilian firearms ownership would be illegal within a very short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any of you ever been done for crossing the street on a red light???A 50 euro offence under the road traffic act.And would make the state millions,but ever hear of a proceeding for jay walking??

But processing the fine might cost more that 50 :D

Anyway, back to slugs,
    i think the suffer from scary gun syndrome. They sound scary and evil, certain look scary and evil, they must be scary and evil.
    Now, while this line of thought is crazy to us all, its not the layman with the power, sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's a point about enforcement though, although it's more on a social and political level than on a practical level. In general we love our sport and equipment too much not to go by the book. Chances of getting caught doing anything illegal being high or low doesn't really come into it.

As for slugs, indeed they are fantastic short range ammo for deer. For some reason they're not allowed while they do fulfill the criteria in regards to weight and caliber. Having said that, what about rifled shotgun barrels with the corresponding slugs, that thing for starters would be licenced as a rifle but in technical terms is still a shotgun.

Well,as I read this new law.If it is a "rifle" you can have it with a shorter barrel than 24ins.So that means you could in theory have a gun capable of firing both slugs and shot with less than the shotgun minimum barrel lengthof 24 ins.
    It could also mean you could register an ultra short shot pistol as a big cal handgun as well. Also that would mean that the 50 cal ownership arguement gains a point,as it could be now pointed out that Garda superintendants reguraly liscense firearms with a bigger calibre than a 50BMG every day,without any bother.Namely the 12Gauge shotgun.While not as far reaching,and everyone knows the big fear here is "calibre size" and not the technical aspects of what a certain cal can or cant do.
    Maybe thats why bthey put slugs on the restricted list?:rolleyes:Size.
    Oh well,let them figure out that legal mess,the Man created it,he can go and figure it out.

Advertisement