Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lee enfield rifles - ireland

Options
  • 04-08-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

lee enfield rifles

can you get them in ireland, what would the criteria to get them be?

just cause i am a gun enthusiast, but have an interest in hunting as-well,

if u can get them any one have an idea of prices?

thanks guys:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Saw 2 for sale yesterday at the Midlands range (I think they were Lee Enfields). Give Jim a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

cool any idea on prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

enda50 wrote: »
    cool any idea on prices?

No it wasn't my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

enda50 wrote: »
    lee enfield rifles

can you get them in ireland, what would the criteria to get them be?

just cause i am a gun enthusiast, but have an interest in hunting as-well,

if u can get them any one have an idea of prices?

thanks guys:cool:

Bought a really great .22 BSA Martini Mark III Bull Barrel Rifle, cost 395.00. I tried it on the 50meter range, shoots great groups.

I bought it from Jim Griffin of the Tackle Shop, he has some lovely secondhand BSA Martini's .22's and Anschutz .22 rifles also Lee Enfield .303 Mark 4's for sale.

If you contact Jim or Mary Griffin, the Tackle Shop, 05793-55979 I sure they will be more than helpfull.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Saw them advertised in Irish Shooters Digest retailing under 700, that was last year and I think it was Halpin in kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sikamick wrote: »
    Bought a really great .22 BSA Martini Mark III Bull Barrel Rifle, cost 395.00. I tried it on the 50meter range, shoots great groups.

Pics required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PMS

"A second-hand .22lr BSA Martini Mark III Bull Barrel Rifle from Jim Griffin of the Tackle Shop, also lovely second-hand BSA Martini's .22's and Anschutz .22 rifles also Lee Enfield .303 No 4 Mk 2's at the Tackle Shop, 05793-55979".

Saw these rifles at the Midlands last Sunday, very impressed with excellent condition of them all, some guys were allowed to test fire some of them, very accurate, if I had a few bob and space in the gun safe I would have bought one, they were goin' for a song.

They will not last long on the shelf, never mind the pics, if you want one you better hurry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Whats the availability and cost of .303 ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I have a Lee Enfield .303 that I've been shooting for years (brought it over from UK after restriction was lifted in '04).

I use the FNM ammo from Portugal in 174 gr FMJ BT, very good target ammo, which seems to be the most widely available. There is also a very good hunting round available in Soft Point but not being a hunter I forget the details but is available from the Tackle Shop. The approx cost of a box of 20rds is around 28 Euro, give or take. I buy mine in bulk and get it a bit cheaper.

For those that collect old spent cases etc, here's a good website on .303 Case Headstamps.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

V Bull wrote: »
    I have a Lee Enfield .303 that I've been shooting for years (brought it over from UK after restriction was lifted in '04).

I use the FNM ammo from Portugal in 174 gr FMJ BT, very good target ammo, which seems to be the most widely available. There is also a very good hunting round available in Soft Point but not being a hunter I forget the details but is available from the Tackle Shop. The approx cost of a box of 20rds is around 28 Euro, give or take. I buy mine in bulk and get it a bit cheaper.

For those that collect old spent cases etc, here's a good website on .303 Case Headstamps.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

Have you shot in any classic military rifle competitions here or have you
    to travel abroad to get involved in this type of target shooting.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Pics required.

Do you have a loan of a camera.

Go to BSA Martini Mark III International web sight there is plenty of pictures and info there.

Sikamick.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club.

Red Renard wrote: »
    Have you shot in any classic military rifle competitions here or have you
    to travel abroad to get involved in this type of target shooting.

I think the Mid-Lands have one each Year. It would be great if this type of competition was held more regularly.

I am thinking of asking the committee to purchase a Lee Enfield .303 and a 6.5.55 Swedish Mauser for this type of competition, it would be great crack and not to expensive.

Sikamick

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club

The Midlands (MNSCI) have a Classic Rifle Shoot every year and most of the shooters dress up in period dress, great fun, great company and like Sikamick says, "great crack and not to expensive".

All the old timers start off their stories with "Sure I remember when..........."

The old stories of the Lee Enfield and other types of Ex-Service Rifles kicking like a mule is a load of rubbish. Like any kind of shooting, if you don't hold the firearm properly it will kick back and if it has a scope on it..........watch out for the scope eye victims..:eek:.....well enough said about the "expert riflemen".....:D

It would be nice to see a League or Division set up for all Classic Rifles to shoot in proper competition...........but who's gona organise and run it........which umberella (NGB) will it fall under...........:rolleyes:

The Midlands (MNSCI) have a Classic Rifle Shoot every year and most of the shooters dress up in period dress, great fun, great company and like Sikamick says, "great crack and not to expensive".

All the old timers start off their stories with "Sure I remember when..........."

The old stories of the Lee Enfield and other types of Ex-Service Rifles kicking like a mule is a load of rubbish. Like any kind of shooting, if you don't hold the firearm properly it will kick back and if it has a scope on it..........watch out for the scope eye victims..:eek:.....well enough said about the "expert riflemen".....:D

It would be nice to see a League or Division set up for all Classic Rifles to shoot in proper competition...........but who's gona organise and run it........which umberella (NGB) will it fall under...........:rolleyes:

I would say you would need the biggest Umberella on the stand set this
    up, great Idea V Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Have an SMLE myself:D Great gun. Bought it from THE GUNSHOP in portglenowen NI he has a selection up there of alot of old classics. Good on price and condition. Mine is a 1916 Enfield

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's fullbore rifle, so it'd be the NRAI.

It could be run at Midlands National Shooting Centre Ireland (MNSCI) by the National Rifle Association Ireland (NRAI).

Where else could it be run that would have a multiple of different distances to shoot.

Sikamick

Michael O'Connor

That's all well and fine, if the NRA of Ireland are willing to manage a Classic Rifle event and supply qualified persons for CRO duty and Butt crews.

I think it would be similar to what Sparks has said many times before in other threads about organising things, it would be left to a few to do it all.....

So let's put it out there to all the other Classic Rifle owners..........would you be willing to support, help to organise, run and participate in a Classic Rifle event if organised by the NRA of Ireland at the Midlands Range (MNSCI) ???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Crescent Sports in Monkstown definitely have one or two in good condition. I have fired one of them - think it was Mk III.
    Give Neil McVeigh a call:
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Gun_Dealers#Crescent_Sports

"So let's put it out there to all the other Classic Rifle owners..........would you be willing to support, help to organise, run and participate in a Classic Rifle event if organised by the NRA of Ireland at the Midlands Range (MNSCI) ??? "

Good job I or even someone else didn’t go wasting their time or that of the NRA of Ireland or a club committees time trying to set up or organise a regular Classic Rifle league or competition.

Not even one reply to Post # 19………………

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean it won't fly VBull. It's just the 98/2 rule in play.
    To organise and run a match, you generally just need one or two people (plus range officers on the day obviously, and those are easier to get when you have details of when, where and for how long).
    If you want to see it happen, start working on it and grab folks as you go. Between yourself and sikamick, you've enough manpower to make a start right there. Just get the snowball's kernel together and start it rolling, the rest of the time you spend working on trying to hold on.

I would recommend starting small though - don't try starting a League just yet, and don't try planning out the entire management structure needed for a full Classic Rifle scene; just run one small match.

And don't forget to hang on tight when it starts rolling :D

Oh, and you might try asking round the dealers selling these things - if you get one who's forward-looking, they may step in with backing by providing prizes in return for advertising or something along those lines. Good for you - great prizes; good for them - more active scene meaning more customers and if there's a name tied to the only classic rifle match out there, then that's a serious boost to business.

Sorry Sparks, but I won’t be doing anything anymore or asking anybody for anything, that’s why I asked the question in Post # 19. I’m gona sit back and enjoy my later years, been there - done that - bought the T-shirt, enough is enough.

I’ve been around far too long to know that it’s the same guys doin’ absolutely everything, with the be-grudgers and knockers in the back ground doing their very best to criticize everything that you do or try to do for the Sport of Shooting.

Don’t want to hi jack the thread……………..'nuf said.........

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

I understand your feelings V-Bull. I went through a phase of organising and encourging in a club I was with, but the lack of interest was astounding. Happier with my current club.

I for one would like to see classic rifle shooting get started. I for one would volunteer to help out in running things. I dont mind whose range it is being shot at or who is involved.

I could also come up with interested shooters. None of us yet own classic rifles, but would be very interested in trying this out.

I think the attraction for me is, no technology involved. No scopes or bipods or gadgets. Just one man/woman, a rifle, iron sights, shooting at 200 and 300 yards. Real back to basics stuff.

Kryten wrote: »
    I understand your feelings V-Bull. I went through a phase of organising and encourging in a club I was with, but the lack of interest was astounding. Happier with my current club.

I for one would like to see classic rifle shooting get started. I for one would volunteer to help out in running things. I dont mind whose range it is being shot at or who is involved.

I could also come up with interested shooters. None of us yet own classic rifles, but would be very interested in trying this out.

I think the attraction for me is, no technology involved. No scopes or bipods or gadgets. Just one man/woman, a rifle, iron sights, shooting at 200 and 300 yards. Real back to basics stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMsU8__AGs

Nice Rifles very Good Videos, do you eat the Vegemite before or after you shoot the Lee Enfield.

Do you have anything on the Swedish Mauser.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 b52

Hi Lads,
    Some good news for all ye classic rifle buffs.
    Have been watching this thread for a while so I took it upon myself and rang the midlands at the weekend.
    Every year, they hold a classic rifle shoot and this year is no different.
    The 3rd of September has been given as a date for this years event.
    It will be shot under NRAI rules and will be open to all competitors.
    No match details are available yet but I believe John Paul will sponser a 303 LEE ENFIELD rifle for the match.
    When I have more details, I will post them here.

Vbull, don't lose heart. The 2% is getting bigger.;)

I knew that you would jump in and save the day. Well done "C", we will have a chat on Saturday.

Is there any former members of The Irish Antique Firearms Society using boards.ie, if so could you PM me please. I was a member in the Seventies and there was great interest in Old Military Rifles including the Lee Enfield.

Michael O'Connor
    aka Sikamick

• Advertisement

Sikamick wrote: »
    Nice Rifles very Good Videos, do you eat the Vegemite before or after you shoot the Lee Enfield.

Do you have anything on the Swedish Mauser.

Sikamick

G'Day Sports, I have some more ridgy-didge links for you to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltAm62kmGmk

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserswedish/index.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXy_9__xEf4 Schmidt-Rubin K31

Advertisement