Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lee enfield rifles - ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

John Kavanagh of Fingal Target Sports is doing them at a very good price. Think around 400 or thereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

I have to say I am trying to do the same. I just can never seem to burn the roof of my mouth with the hot tea at the firing range like I used to back in the 1980. How much did you get your No4 MKII for. I am looking at one on line for auction currently.[/quote]

I remember the scalding tea.. soggy sandwiches and hard boiled eggs at camp. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 caponord

I remember the scalding tea.. soggy sandwiches and hard boiled eggs at camp. :)[/quote]

Ya, did Finer camp a few times Buncrana cold & Wet, Castlebar NCO's course, the Glen (mortor's) a few times and the Curragh. 1984-1992

Who would think that one could become nostalgic about Ballincollig, Collins Barracks, Murphys in Tralee (during Puck fair), cold wet days at the range with no effin earplugs (wft were they thinkin)...a real Dads army...although the boots were great

For Sure, da boots were great. How are you doing on finding ammo for your .303. Do you do any reloading? I am reloading my own ammo currently. Seems to be hard to get .45acp and .308 win these days. I make my own bullets from car wheel weights (lead) for the .45 for plinking.

• Advertisement

I reload almost all I shoot...much cheaper than store bought stuff. In this political climate all ammo prices are on the moon... have you looked at what .22s are selling for these days. At this rate our ammo prices will be in line with Irelands....people are hoarding....

Ammo-currency.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭-boris

I thought it was forbidden to own military standard rifles here?seeing as the lee enfield was used by the army?

seems to be perfectly legal as long as the boys in blue give you a cert for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Malaga2 wrote: »
    seems to be perfectly legal as long as the boys in blue give you a cert for it...

and so it does seem legal you know,sure take this lot http://www.vcrai.com/ mad about about anything service rifles and the history of it all:p

• Advertisement

brilliant to see...I would look to the Swiss k31/Swede Mauser for comps though....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

-boris wrote: »
    I thought it was forbidden to own military standard rifles here?
    Nope, no such law. We've seen a few supers decide they wouldn't licence .223 rifles because they were supposedly a "military calibre" (even though .223 Remington is not the same as 5.56mm NATO and using one in the other can ruin your entire day). But while one or two supers think that way, 180-odd others don't.

(It would be illegal though to own some modern military rifles because they're fully automatic - therefore they're class A firearms under EU law and basicly banned).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Other countries in Europe have such ridiculous laws with regard to "military" calibres. We, fortunately, do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Yeah, the classic rifles are in military calibres, but obsolete military calibres. The ammo can be hard to get sometimes. The rifles are usually bolt action and we are interested in the historical aspect of such firearms. The rifles I have been lucky to try out so far are .303 SMLE, .303 No4 Mk1 Enfield, .303 Martini enfield, 7.92mm Mauser K98 K, American M1 .30 Carbine , Schmidt Rubin K31 in 7.5mm CG63 Swede and the Moisin Nagant 7.62 from the Tula arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Other countries in Europe have such ridiculous laws with regard to "military" calibres. We, fortunately, do not.

ASFIK only France and Italy,and even France will accomadate you on this,it just involves more paperwork that is somwhat bothersome to do for the average gun owner.Plenty of .222 AR 15 and Ruger minis over there,as well as 10mm 1911 style pistols.;)

Italy really is totally mental about military calibres.Even the US secret service UZIs had to be rebuilt to 9X21 in the 1980s for issue to US personel in Italy.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

Classic and vintage rifles are great fun to shoot.
    Personally I have fired a SMLE .303, No4 MK1 & 2 .303, Schmidt Rubin 7.5x55 (K11 / K31 & 1896/11), CG63 6.5x55, Martini Lee .303, SVT 40 7.62 x 54R, Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62 x 54R and the 8mm Mauser.
    Ammunition is all surplus and can be sourced at reasonable prices.

TMC

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Please go to, Upcoming Competitions/Events (announcements only!) Thread for full details.

Hope to see you there Grizzly 45.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭devil dog

Hi sikamike;)

Just wondering is it all at 300:rolleyes:

And how many rounds:rolleyes:

Also what cal:confused: 250 down or all types:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Looks like my Hornet will be useless at 300 yards ringe for the fox shoot. Bullet drop at that range is about 4 foot :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

devil dog wrote: »
    Hi sikamike;)

Just wondering is it all at 300:rolleyes:

And how many rounds:rolleyes:

Also what cal:confused: 250 down or all types:)

Hi could you please go to Upcoming Competitions/Events (announcements only!) Thread for full details.

All queries to Johnpaul, you get the details there.

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

sorry if i missed this comment earlier, but the rifle in the middle bottom section of the pic is the 'Jungle carbine' version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Lads I'm looking to get an SMLE in the near future and I've been wondering what the situation is regarding ammo. How expensive and how widely available is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

http://www.fingalsports.com/ammo.html

€70 per 100 :cool:

John always has it in stock :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Classic and vintage rifles are great fun to shoot.

There's a redundant comment.

All rifles are great fun to shoot!
    ASFIK only France and Italy,and even France will accomadate you on this,it just involves more paperwork that is somwhat bothersome to do for the average gun owner

Not sure where you're going, ARs are legal in quite a few European countries.

Easiest is to go to Crete. Machineguns are quite common there.
    (It would be illegal though to own some modern military rifles because they're fully automatic - therefore they're class A firearms under EU law and basicly banned).

And no, I don't know how the Greeks get around it.

NTM

Not sure where you're going, ARs are legal in quite a few European countries.

They certainly are,just not in "military calibres".IE 5.56 NATO,7.62 NATO or 7.62X39 Russian/Warsaw Pact. or 9mm parabellum.They are not funny about the looks or action just the calibres. This relates mostly to France or Italy and maybe...???

So in France they simply go down a calibre to .222 Remington or 300win magnum or go for a 1911 model in 10mm.Same type,action,just a civillian calibre. It has to do with more their politics and military/civillian equipment interchange than anything else...
    Easiest is to go to Crete. Machineguns are quite common there.

I really wonder WHY???:rolleyes::D.A island that was invaded by the Germans,who left a fair bit of equipment behind them in the last kerfuffle.
    Between two very nationalistic countries that have been at each others throats for centuries.Both who consider owning weaponary a sign of manliness and independance,not to mind the Crete folks do NOT consider themselves Greek!And never even suggest that to one of them unless you would like your head re shaped at best.Same for Sicilly.Be like somone saying we are English!:eek::P

They play by their own rules down there.Stuff Brussles and the EU!!! Thats for the long finger nailed lot to coin more money and wouldnt be too adverse to buying the odd bit of stuff of the Turks[Who have the most liberal gun laws over all.[Even EX cons can go and buy.... only two mind! rifles or shotguns!:eek:]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I really wonder WHY???.A island that was invaded by the Germans,who left a fair bit of equipment behind them in the last kerfuffle.
    Between two very nationalistic countries that have been at each others throats for centuries.Both who consider owning weaponary a sign of manliness and independance,not to mind the Crete folks do NOT consider themselves Greek!And never even suggest that to one of them unless you would like your head re shaped at best.Same for Sicilly.Be like somone saying we are English!

They play by their own rules down there.Stuff Brussles and the EU!!! Thats for the long finger nailed lot to coin more money and wouldnt be too adverse to buying the odd bit of stuff of the Turks
    :confused:

Erm, grizz, is that not Cyprus you're thinking about there? Crete is the other one floating nearby!:p:D

And the Sicilian's certainly don't consider themselves Greek, Italian maybe (at a push), but not Greek (Well, not since the time of Archimedes anyway).:rolleyes:

(BTW Crete is part of Greece, Cyprus is not)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Grizzlys' correct about Crete, it has the dubious distinction of being the first country to be invaded by airborne troops and they did leave a lot of gear behind. There is a strong tradition of firearms ownership resulting from being invaded and not having the means to fight back. I was talking to a lad up in the hills one day and he told me he didn't like guns, he only had one long one and one short one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

My mistake, from reading this:
    Between two very nationalistic countries that have been at each others throats for centuries.Both who consider owning weaponary a sign of manliness and independance
    and this:
    wouldnt be too adverse to buying the odd bit of stuff of the Turks
    , I assumed it was the more recent conflicts on Cyprus he was alluding to. But given your own name, I'm happy to stand corrected.
    There is a strong tradition of firearms ownership resulting from being invaded and not having the means to fight back.

Pity that doesn't apply to all locations which match that description! :D:D

But anyhooooooo, as you where! Back on-topic with you all!:rolleyes::D

To finish.If you go to any of the large Mediterrianan islands.You will find they all consider themselves a seperate race from their respective countries,and all have very tolerant ideas on gun ownership.Contrary to what officaldom there might be saying about it.:)

And now for somthing completly different!
    In five years time it is 100 years since the rising.Was thinking would there be any market for a limited run of commerative Lee Enfields?
    Basically take a dozen newish Mk1s.Clean them up in the actions,upgrade the wood and metal work,maybe get them engraved with some scenes of the rising or the leaders portraits ?Pop them in a nice looking case with a tri colour and a copy of the proclimation and flog to the Yanks??
    As they are big into buying commerative editions over there on everything,it might be a seller?
    Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The proper gun to commemorate 1916 would be a Gewehr 71 surely?
    If a SMLE was being used you'd want to put a union flag and a copy of the Act of Union in it maybe. :)

Advertisement