Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi - Bang + Olufsen system - is it worth it?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I was wondering whether is it worth paying for the Bang + Olufsen sound system for the Audi A4.
    Has anyone got it?
    I got the Bose sound system for my A3 but was not that impressed with it.

Any comments welcome,
    Charles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I delivered a car with the B&O system in it the other week, after not hearing one for a while, and I have to say that it is definitely one of the bits that I'd put in "my car" if I ever had to spec one up.

I was listening to a few pieces of music that I know really well and I was hearing things I hadn't heard that well before - really good separation of the instruments and a good soundstage.

If you listen mostly to talk radio or just pop radio, then you won't get any value out of the B&O system, but if you listen to music with dynamics and depth and harmonic intricacy (from classical music to Led Zep) then you'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

AudiChris wrote: »

If you listen mostly to talk radio or just pop radio, then you won't get any value out of the B&O system, but if you listen to music with dynamics and depth and harmonic intricacy (from classical music to Led Zep) then you'll love it!

Well said, AudiChris.

But I would prefer to get the standard audio system and rip it out replacing it with something even better. I did this with my old Bora and upgraded to a system with 3 separate amplifiers. I replaced all the speakers and added some more. Soundstage is terrific and the system is far ahead of anything that could be offered from factory level.

I suppose it depends on how far you want to go. The B&O will be way ahead of the standard kit but it won't be outstanding.

How much is the B&O option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of putting a new sound system into my weekday car, a Seat Ibiza, it actually has a really good stereo already but I wouldn't mind something with more depth.

Where should I look and what price should I pay for something decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of putting a new sound system into my weekday car, a Seat Ibiza, it actually has a really good stereo already but I wouldn't mind something with more depth.

Where should I look and what price should I pay for something decent?

It all depends - what do want your new sound system to do?

Same question is one the OP should consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bang & Olufsen is the pinnacle of audio systems in terms of functionality, design and quality. If you have the means, opportunity and you will actually appreciate it then don't hesitate - go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Out of interest how much extra would a B&O or Bose system cost on a new A3 or A4??

Iirc it's about €1,200 in the A4. Not available in the current model A3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

crosstownk wrote: »
    It all depends - what do want your new sound system to do?

Same question is one the OP should consider.

I think to put it simply i just want it to be louder with more bass and clarity.

*Tripper* wrote: »
    I think to put it simply i just want it to be louder with more bass and clarity.

Head over to Halfords and check out their stuff. Read a few car magazines to get a feel for the best brands and models for your budget. Also look online for better pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bang & Olufsen is the pinnacle of audio systems in terms of functionality, design and quality.
    But not sound quality, you pay mainly for the name and design.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    But not sound quality, you pay mainly for the name and design.

I disagree whole-heartedly - the sound quality from the B&O system is worth every penny you pay and is very, very good.

I'm not sure if I'd stump up €40,000 for one of B&O's TV/Stereo combos, although when we had a lend of one it was probably the best sound system I'd ever heard.

Pay for name and design, but no-one can dispute that the sound quality is stunning from a B&O system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I disagree whole-heartedly - the sound quality from the B&O system is worth every penny you pay and is very, very good.

I'm not sure if I'd stump up €40,000 for one of B&O's TV/Stereo combos, although when we had a lend of one it was probably the best sound system I'd ever heard.

Pay for name and design, but no-one can dispute that the sound quality is stunning from a B&O system.

But could you match it with a seperates system with other top brands for less money is the question!
    I dunno about paying for a good system in the car. You pay a lot, you get a very good system, and for a fraction of the money you can blow that system out of the water in terms of sound quality with a good living room hifi.

Iirc it's about €1,200 in the A4. Not available in the current model A3.

Thats not as bad as i would have thought actually.Thats for a B&O system right??Do audi not use Bose any more??I always thought you had the option of both...

Biro wrote: »
    But could you match it with a seperates system with other top brands for less money is the question!
    I dunno about paying for a good system in the car. You pay a lot, you get a very good system, and for a fraction of the money you can blow that system out of the water in terms of sound quality with a good living room hifi.

OK, to take it back a step, I'm talking about B&O in an Audi A4...

Yes, I'd pay the money for the B&O system in the A4, I think it's good value and it sounds great.
    No, I wouldn't put a mix-n-match system in that same car, I wouldn't want to be pulling apart door panels etc. for fear of introducing rattles/squeaks in my brand-new car.

Yes, I think the B&O livingroom system is incredible.
    No, I don't think it's worth €40k (or even close).
    Yes, I'd prefer to put together a separates system for my living room because it gives me the ability to pick the best amp, CD transport, TV etc. without being tied into a particular manufacturer. It also allows me to upgrade a specific part of the system without needing to upgrade the rest.

No, I don't think you can compare a livingroom system and a car system, they'll never, ever match each other for sound quality - the car is a compromised listening area (for starters, you're offset from the centre of the speakers!). Even with the best system, all you need is a garbage truck beside you in traffic and you'll lose your perfect acoustic environment.

Horses for courses...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thats not as bad as i would have thought actually.Thats for a B&O system right??Do audi not use Bose any more??I always thought you had the option of both...

You can get a BOSE stereo as an option in the A3 but as AudiChris said, the B&O is not an option.

€1,200ish is for the B&O system - amps & speakers etc.
    Bose is still available in some cars, but it's being replaced by B&O. You don't get the choice, just one or the other depending on when the car was designed (current A3 has Bose, A3 Cabrio has B&O, for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

OK, to take it back a step, I'm talking about B&O in an Audi A4...

Yes, I'd pay the money for the B&O system in the A4, I think it's good value and it sounds great.
    No, I wouldn't put a mix-n-match system in that same car, I wouldn't want to be pulling apart door panels etc. for fear of introducing rattles/squeaks in my brand-new car.

Yes, I think the B&O livingroom system is incredible.
    No, I don't think it's worth €40k (or even close).
    Yes, I'd prefer to put together a separates system for my living room because it gives me the ability to pick the best amp, CD transport, TV etc. without being tied into a particular manufacturer. It also allows me to upgrade a specific part of the system without needing to upgrade the rest.

No, I don't think you can compare a livingroom system and a car system, they'll never, ever match each other for sound quality - the car is a compromised listening area (for starters, you're offset from the centre of the speakers!). Even with the best system, all you need is a garbage truck beside you in traffic and you'll lose your perfect acoustic environment.

Horses for courses...

Fair post there, ta. I'd agree with most of it! I suppose €1,200 isn't too bad considering it's an Audi upgrade, which usually cost a good bit more for less! :D

Biro wrote: »
    Fair post there, ta. I'd agree with most of it! I suppose €1,200 isn't too bad considering it's an Audi upgrade, which usually cost a good bit more for less! :D

Absolutely, how much extra is MMI/Satnav on an A4 or or an A5??I'm guessing about 4000e. I really do think audi should have made the MMI as standard on the A4/A5.i think the cabin looks way classier when thats in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Did B&O design the sound system specifically for the A3, A4 etc., or is it just standard B&O components fitted by Audi? I think Lexus have a Mark Levinson system custom designed for each model, though I could be wrong on this.

If they're standard components then it probably isn't worth the premium - you could probably get better parts for cheaper. If B&O optimised the system to fit the A4, the €1200 seems pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

€1,200ish is for the B&O system - amps & speakers etc.

Wow, that is VERY reasonable. Can it be retro-fitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Charles Gamble

Thanks for the comments so far.
    How much difference is there in sound quality between the Bose system in A3 and the Bang + Olufsen system in A4?

Charles.

If you look at it in terms of consumer products, cd players and the like, B&O is the best in the business judging on price.They are really expensive.Afaik, Bose products arent quite as expensive but still pretty dear.How much extra is the Bose system in the A3??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

How much extra is the Bose system in the A3??
    In the UK the Bose system is £440. Not sure about Ireland... AudiChris will know but I'd like to see the comparison.

"BOSE surround sound system. 8 high-performance loudspeakers, 6-channel amplifier, total output of 195 Watts with specially tuned acoustics"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Back in the mists of time I worked part-time in a shop selling hifi products of all sorts including B&O. I got on well with the repair guy who worked there, as I was studying for an electronics degree at the time. Anyway, according to him, B&O was the biggest triumph of style over substance going. The designs (from an electronics perspective) were all fairly primitive, and on the whole were much more unreliable than any of the other makes they sold (all Japanese). Emperor's New Clothes in short.

Absolutely, how much extra is MMI/Satnav on an A4 or or an A5??I'm guessing about 4000e. I really do think audi should have made the MMI as standard on the A4/A5.i think the cabin looks way classier when thats in it

MMI's standard (as in everything you do with the dials is graphically represented on the MMI screen). The colour screen comes with the Concert or Symphony radios (€500 & €1000ish respectively).

Sat Nav is €3-4k, but would be a mental option in a €40k car - buy a TomTom instead!
    Did B&O design the sound system specifically for the A3, A4 etc., or is it just standard B&O components fitted by Audi? I think Lexus have a Mark Levinson system custom designed for each model, though I could be wrong on this.

If they're standard components then it probably isn't worth the premium - you could probably get better parts for cheaper. If B&O optimised the system to fit the A4, the €1200 seems pretty reasonable.

Custom designed and individually tuned for the A4/A5/S5/R8 cabins.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Wow, that is VERY reasonable. Can it be retro-fitted?

I wouldn't think so, and it's only for the new model A4 so unless you bought one in the last 6 months, don't worry about it.
    Thanks for the comments so far.
    How much difference is there in sound quality between the Bose system in A3 and the Bang + Olufsen system in A4?

Charles.

I'd consider there to be a decent difference, the B&O is brilliant!
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    In the UK the Bose system is £440. Not sure about Ireland... AudiChris will know but I'd like to see the comparison.

Bose in the current A3 is €900ish, A6 is €1,200ish, A8 is €1,800ish - A8 is obviously far more advanced than the other two.

MMI's standard (as in everything you do with the dials is graphically represented on the MMI screen). The colour screen comes with the Concert or Symphony radios (€500 & €1000ish respectively).

Sat Nav is €3-4k, but would be a mental option in a €40k car - buy a TomTom instead!

Sorry, i should have phrased my question better.I actually meant the whole control set up below the gearbox on the centre console but judging by your post, you would have to get the satnav to get that.I just think the A4s without that look a bit cluttered around the radio

Without
    CB4_1146134_6_600819.jpg
    Vs
    With
    CB4_1057518_2_359782.jpg

Sorry, i should have phrased my question better.I actually meant the whole control set up below the gearbox on the centre console but judging by your post, you would have to get the satnav to get that.I just think the A4s without that look a bit cluttered around the radio

Without
    CB4_1146134_6_600819.jpg
    Vs
    With
    CB4_1057518_2_359782.jpg

Yep, the A6, Q7 and A8 get the MMI controls under your hand on the transmission tunnel, below the gearstick, while the A4 & A5 get it on the upper part of the centre console (unless you go for SatNav).

I personally prefer the transmission tunnel positioning, but even on the upper centre console I find the MMI concept to be a worthwhile addition to the car compared to the old model A4.

Yep, the A6, Q7 and A8 get the MMI controls under your hand on the transmission tunnel, below the gearstick, while the A4 & A5 get it on the upper part of the centre console (unless you go for SatNav).

I personally prefer the transmission tunnel positioning, but even on the upper centre console I find the MMI concept to be a worthwhile addition to the car compared to the old model A4.

Now that you've mentioned the A6, when will be be seeing the facelifted model with the 170bhp 2.0TDI???In a choice between that and a basic 520d, the A6 wins hands down IMHO.Do you think it'll get into the 150e tax band??I sure hope it does.Then, it should nicely undercut the 520d

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

agree totally on this, the general interior let down and the pedal positioning is what really put me off the A4. They both make the rhd/no sat nav model seem like an afterthought. All the pics were making me really look forward to the A4 but then you sit in one without 10k worth of optons and it looks nothing like any of the marketing pictures.

The whole central console of bare plastic if you don't go for nav looks cheap and nasty imo.

Another thing to note in the pic is the well specd one has the triple zone climate control which is an option. You have to go for it to get the local displays also, which of course appear in all the marketing pics! It's shockingly priced also for something that should be in one of the packages like on the 3 series or is220.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Now that you've mentioned the A6, when will be be seeing the facelifted model with the 170bhp 2.0TDI???In a choice between that and a basic 520d, the A6 wins hands down IMHO.Do you think it'll get into the 150e tax band??I sure hope it does.Then, it should nicely undercut the 520d

First pics released next week afaik.

Advertisement