Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules

Options
  • 04-08-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, We have decided to rent a room and have someone calling to look at it on thursday. What questions should I ask, what do I need to look out for. How are rules usually set and what are normal "house share" rules?

We have never rented a room before and I am pretty nervous about it. What if we don't get on etc.

How is it usually done, like we have an ensuite, but some of our toiletries are kept in the main bathroom, which is the one the tenant would use, is this usual and acceptable to a tenant. There is a cat in the house who is spoilt rotten, has the run of the house etc, (obv not the tenants room) any tenant would have to put up with that, is that acceptable?

He sounds like a nice guy, but I'm pretty nervous about having anyone else in the house. We've had the place to ourselves for nearly 2 years, it's gonna be strange sharing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I can only answer from the tenant's point of view and things I've learned from chatting to people who've let out rooms.

First off, go with your gut instinct when you meet the prospective lodger. If you've any doubts at all, don't rent the room out to him. A friend of mine once let out a room despite her own misgivings (she needed the money) and had to ask the guy to leave.

It's generally fine to have toiletries in the main bathroom, just as long as they're not taking over the entire room.

As for the cat, the lodger will either have to like it or lump it. if the cat's got the run of the house now, that's not going to change.

From sharing houses, things that get my goat are people making noise late at night, people not clearing up after themselves when they do the dishes (me hates draining boards where people just leave their stuff to drip dry) and peeps leaving their stuff all over the place. Perhaps these are things to keep an eye out for.

Also, it might be a good idea to clarify the way bills and other basics will be split. It's common sense of course but I've heard of people arguing over toilet roll and washing powder.

Anyway, after all that, good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I rent a room in my apartment, and have had both good and bad experiences. As the previous poster said, go with your gut instinct, as from my experience, gut feelings are more often right than not. When the tenant comes to visit, let him know about the cat etc. Be clear about bills, deposits etc. I would suggest you draw up an informal contract, as I had one lodger who tried to dispute bills, tried to even get out of the standing charges of gas and esb :eek:, so be very clear about things like that.

I too have the ensuite, but do use the main bathroom, and do tell them that when they visit, as the main bathroom has a bath, and I like to have a bath once a week or if not once a fortnight ;). I have had no probs about storing things in the main bathroom, but have heard from friends where stuff in "communal" areas was being nicked, so just keep an eye out. Also be clear that the room is for one only (assuming that is the case here), as have had experiences where the boyfriend/girlfriend is practically living there too, and being in an apartment, I find there really isn't room for three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Agree with what others have said - go with your gut instinct.

In relation to the toilettries, again I agree, its fine as long as they aren't taking over the bathroom and the tenant has room for their own things.

With the cat - I personally wouldn't move in to anywhere that had pets so just make sure the tenant knows about the cat before they accept.

I agree with irishamethyst on the boyfriend/girlfriend thing. In my experience that has been the biggest issue with househares. Just make sure you are clear from the start. If you don't mind the tenant having someone over to stay 5, 6, 7 nights a week then its not an issue. If you think that will be a problem for you then be clear that you don't mind them having guests but 1, 2, 3 whatever is an acceptable number of nights per week. Also, if they want to (for example) have a friend come and stay for a week do you want them to let you know in advance, that sort of thing.

Be clear about what bills you expect the tenant to contribute to, if you have a landline get an itemised bill etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

BC wrote: »
    Be clear about what bills you expect the tenant to contribute to, if you have a landline get an itemised bill etc etc.

I have had tenants at the outset say no problem about paying their share, including standing charge on a phone line, but when the bill came, they won't, as most people use their mobile etc. Due to this I disconnected my landline, once my area became viable for wireless broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might also have a look at this: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In relation to the toilettries, again I agree, its fine as long as they aren't taking over the bathroom and the tenant has room for their own things..
    Yeah it's not at all bad, just a basket on the windowsill with shampoo/ bath stuff etc. The tenant would also have a basekt, the same size to themselves. As well as two huge wardrobes (which I am going to have to empty :()

With the cat - I personally wouldn't move in to anywhere that had pets so just make sure the tenant knows about the cat before they accept..
    Yep, says in the ad that there are two cats in the house and anybody interested must be ok with animals.
    I agree with irishamethyst on the boyfriend/girlfriend thing. In my experience that has been the biggest issue with househares. Just make sure you are clear from the start. If you don't mind the tenant having someone over to stay 5, 6, 7 nights a week then its not an issue. If you think that will be a problem for you then be clear that you don't mind them having guests but 1, 2, 3 whatever is an acceptable number of nights per week. Also, if they want to (for example) have a friend come and stay for a week do you want them to let you know in advance, that sort of thing.
    Yeah I know what you mean.

Thanks everyone - Victor, very impressed with your doc!

Advertisement