Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

window LEAKS

• 04-08-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

i have read about the sikaflex, but i was wondering if it could be necessary to replace the rubber seal with a new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Try Captain Tolleys, if it is just a "small" leak or if the rubbers seem to be okay... I've done all my seals this year and it does the job easily and painlessly... It's recommended for leaky window seals, but does the lot.

Google it, or look on ebay - it's relatively cheap... there are 2 sizes for sale - it seems to be the smaller bottle on ebay, but I got the larger one going through captain tolley website.

I just gave some to a guy on a site this week to try out... hope it works for him.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

thanks, i think ill try that, the rubber is probably fine anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Relisix wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Hmmm??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Relisix banned (permanently) from motorhomes

The only proper way to fix a leaking window seal is to take the whole window out and re-seat it in lots of sealant. (the polyurethane type like Sikaflex or Dekalin or similar)

The rubber seal around the window only does part of the sealing, most of it is done by the gunky stuff inside the frame that you can't see. That sealant has to permanently elastic to compensate for the torsion on the vehicle body. After a few years it gets hard and brittle and that's when it starts to leak.

Sealing it with Captain Tolleys or whatever is only plugging the leaks ...others will soon spring somewhere else. The danger is that water will run inside your vehicle walls unnoticed and start the rot there (usually nowhere near the window, but somwhere down near the base of the vehicle)

Best get a professional (a motorhome dealer with a good service department) to do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Ferris

isup wrote: »
    i have read about the sikaflex, but i was wondering if it could be necessary to replace the rubber seal with a new one?

I have used sikaflex 291 for resealing and rebuilding windows on boats quite extensively. Its pretty difficult to do and can leave a messy finish. Also as sikaflex is a powerful adhesive if you get it wrong it will be (very) difficult to undo. On the other hand Sikaflex is excellent once it works.

How are your windows fixed to the campers body, are they installed in a bead or is there a proper window frame that is bolted to the body? Pics of the offending window would help.

Ferris wrote: »
    I have used sikaflex 291 for resealing and rebuilding windows on boats quite extensively. Its pretty difficult to do and can leave a messy finish. Also as sikaflex is a powerful adhesive if you get it wrong it will be (very) difficult to undo. On the other hand Sikaflex is excellent once it works.

How are your windows fixed to the campers body, are they installed in a bead or is there a proper window frame that is bolted to the body? Pics of the offending window would help.

i think they are in a bead, i think most of the panel windows are leaking and even the windscreen a little, some rust too, photos to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Ferris

isup wrote: »
    i think they are in a bead, i think most of the panel windows are leaking and even the windscreen a little, some rust too, photos to come

Well you'll have to fix the rust first unfortunately. I wouldn't use sikaflex to fix your windows. Probably better to use a new bead if you can get it, this of course means that the windows have to come out.

Ahh ..you're talking about a panel van.

In that case it's most likely that the sheet metal under the window seal has rusted away. Welding time, I'm afraid.

peasant wrote: »
    The danger is that water will run inside your vehicle walls unnoticed and start the rot there (usually nowhere near the window, but somwhere down near the base of the vehicle)
    quote]

this is what happened, at least i gutted the van to find the problems now, rather than do all the cosmetic stuff and then find everything is rotten later on, the next van i buy in years to come i will know what to look for, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement