Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleetwood Mac

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rumours is without a doubt one of my favourite albums ever. From start to finish it's pure class with barely one duff track on it. Amazing album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Passed down by the mother,Rumours is indeed amazing. No, make that Amazing. Capital A and all. Fantastic band, get plenty of time on the Mp3 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The LP released by FM before rumours called ' fleetwood mac 'was equally brilliant but less commercial .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Agreed, Rumours is a masterpiece. Pity there was so much so-so material before and after but I reckon they just hit the right lineup in the band with enough internal turmoil to create it.

I remember the first time I heard Rumours thinking 'I know that song!' almost all the way through. I never get sick of going back to it every few months.

Rumours aside everyone should appreciate this performance of Big Love live now:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGQKuUeQC8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭yummycake

quarryman wrote: »
    Pity there was so much so-so material before and after

I disagree there I think that before 75 their stuff was less commercial and just as good just for a different audience maybe and stevie's stuff in the 80's was good enough [not everyone will agree there tho :p ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yummycake wrote: »
    I disagree there I think that before 75 their stuff was less commercial and just as good just for a different audience maybe and stevie's stuff in the 80's was good enough [not everyone will agree there tho :p ]

i actually went back through their catalogue there and take back what i said a bit. I guess what i mean is that they didn't have such a complete album without throwaway filling as they did with Rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Tango In The Night is my fave album by them, really good pop/rock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Rumours was a staple in my collection when I was about 16. On cassette of course. Adored it. Now Ive transferred to cd and dont listen to it as much, but think I'll pull it out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I love the Stevie/Linsey era of Fleetwood Mac.They were the perfect band.It's a shame that they got a little self-conscious about their commercial appeal in the late 70's.I think Tusk suffered a little because of that.
    Linsey Buckingham has got to be the most underrated guitar player in popular music.Great producer too...

Anyone familiar with the Buckingham Nicks record released before they joined Fleetwood Mac?
    It's absolutely brilliant.A lost classic...
    It dissappeared without a trace but Mick Fleetwood heard a song of it called Frozen Love and the rest is history.I read somewhere that Rhiannon was written for a 2nd Buckingham Nicks record before they were dropped by their record label.
    Download it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I heart Rhiannon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't have their studio albums, all I have is their Best Of. But they had some fantastic songs.

My favourite song by them (that I've heard) is "Tusk" - weirdly brilliant and brilliantly weird! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I <3 Rumours too, especially Gold Dust Woman.

I love Oh Well too. Who doesn't? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Yeah Buckingham is long overdue some credit. His guitar playing is special.
    His solo stuff is not really that commericial
    he likes a lo-fi approach at times
    Rumours is great but Tusk is mad (in a good way)
    Buckingham gone mad on cocaine makes the bands white album (literally)
    Tusk itself is a crazy track and it was a HIT by a mainstream act.
    Imagine a coldplay or the likes releasing something like that today, people would think they've gone mad.
    If you've only looked at Tusk in light of Rumours go back and re-examine it in it's own context, all the group rate it as there fav album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

The best era of Fleetwood Mac is without doubt, the original lineup. Peter Greens Fletwood Mac as they are known.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Anto McC wrote: »
    The best era of Fleetwood Mac is without doubt, the original lineup. Peter Greens Fletwood Mac as they are known.

+ 100 !! A wry smile came over me when I noticed it took 14 posts before Peter Greene was mentioned in a thread about Fleetwood Mac. :rolleyes:

Without doubt IMO he is one of (if not, the) most talented people ever to play in "Mac". During conversations with Mac "fans", when I've mentioned his name I'm met with a curious glance.

To me Peter Greene was Fleetwood Mac. It's a shame he does n't get the credit he deserves. :(

If were talking about the peter green /mick feeltwood mac era compared to the 80s mac it's two different types of bands and music .Peter green still tours occasionally but was a victim of to much acid during the 60s hence his depature from the music scene for many many years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Murray: I’ve told you when you’re in a band, you don’t get with your bandmate's girlfriends, past or present. You get in a love triangle, you know? You get a Fleetwood Mac situation. Although there was four of them so more of a love square, but no one gets on. They did do some of their best music back then.
    Bret: Rumours.
    Murray: No, that’s all true.

Rumours is superb, but the preceeding "white Fleetwood Mac album" (as Christine refers to it on the Live album) is very impressive, and even Mirage (from 1983), which often gets forgotten about, has some real gems too.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

latchyco wrote: »
    If were talking about the peter green /mick feeltwood mac era compared to the 80s mac it's two different types of bands and music .Peter green still tours occasionally but was a victim of to much acid during the 60s hence his departure from the music scene for many many years

Yes, he is a victim of drug abuse from back in the 60's. It does n't mean that his genius should be forgotten though.

BTW, he has not departed the music scene, but has been touring with his band the "Splinter Group" up to fairly recently.

EDIT : Sorry, just noticed that you stated that he toured recently.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yes, he is a victim of drug abuse from back in the 60's. It does n't mean that his genius should be forgotten though.

BTW, he has not departed the music scene, but has been touring with his band the "Splinter Group" up to fairly recently.

EDIT : Sorry, just noticed that you stated that he toured recently.
    No his genius should never be forgotten and never will i think .Man of the world is a big fav of mine ,he deserves his place, if not there already in the rock n roll hall of fame

Murray: I’ve told you when you’re in a band, you don’t get with your bandmate's girlfriends, past or present. You get in a love triangle, you know? You get a Fleetwood Mac situation. Although there was four of them so more of a love square, but no one gets on. They did do some of their best music back then.
    Bret: Rumours.
    Murray: No, that’s all true.

Rumours is superb, but the preceeding "white Fleetwood Mac album" (as Christine refers to it on the Live album) is very impressive, and even Mirage (from 1983), which often gets forgotten about, has some real gems too.
    The sucess of rumours overshadowd this album .Might be because it wasnt promoted as much but full of great tracks

• Advertisement

Man of the world is a big fav of mine

Same here. Great song. Pity it reminds me of road accidents now. :mad:

( Recently used on RTE advert to prevent road accidents )

Rigsby wrote: »
    Same here. Great song. Pity it reminds me of road accidents now. :mad:

( Recently used on RTE advert to prevent road accidents )[/QUOTE
    Intresting , sounds very autobiographical and sad .

There was a lot of that around in late sixties with the over abuse of substances and the decade coming to a close :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Go Your Own Way and The Chain are remarkable. Stevie Nicks has such a great voice and was hugely inspirational to Courtney Love during Hole's Celebrity Skin period.
    Big Love is a fantastic track off Tango in the Night.

Early Fleetwood Mac: Oh Well is a masterpiece. Black Magic Woman is superb also.

The band's history reads like a soap opera. Apparently there was much in-band shagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I actually prefer the Bob Welch period. Still had some of the earthiness of the original band, and some of the commercial quality of the later band. "Bare Trees" is my favorite FM album.

''Id rather jack ,than fleetwood mac ''

Remember that one off mini hit back in the 80s from some now obscure irish girl band ? Think it was novelty song to cash in on the dancing craze called ' jack 'ing '

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lets not forget "Holiday Road" one of the greatest movie songs ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

''Id rather jack ,than fleetwood mac ''

Remember that one off mini hit back in the 80s from some now obscure irish girl band ? Think it was novelty song to cash in on the dancing craze called ' jack 'ing '

The Reynolds Girls, a manufactured outfit, dreamt up by Stock Aiken and Waterman. The reason; mainstrem radio would not play S A W material even though it was all over the charts, so S AW put together this ditty to get back at them. They were from Liverpool i believe.
    Just on a side note Anyone remember Mick Fleetwoods Brits presenting job with Sam Fox? what a disaster!
    Totally agree on mention of Peter Green

JLemmon wrote: »
    The Reynolds Girls, a manufactured outfit, dreamt up by Stock Aiken and Waterman. The reason; mainstrem radio would not play S A W material even though it was all over the charts, so S AW put together this ditty to get back at them. They were from Liverpool i believe.
    Yes, i remember now and i thought they were from dublin .Thought there was a irish circus connection

Just on a side note Anyone remember Mick Fleetwoods Brits presenting job with Sam Fox? what a disaster!
    Totally agree on mention of Peter Green
    That was a disaster of disaters and a total cock up made all the more funny by mick fleetwood touring over Sam fox .Then Ron wood had a barny with some dj guy from the audience .

You can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GoJ5c2ieyk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I fuppin' loved that Reynolds Girls song! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

I remember seeing a 'Classic Album' type documentary a long time ago about 'Rumours'.

Apparently, when the album was being made, Buckingham and Nicks were in a long term relationship which was breaking up as was the McVies marriage. The two girls and the two boys had formed cliques and were not talking to each other. Mick Fleetwood was caught in the middle of all this which could not have been easy for him as his own marriage was crumbling - he had recently found out his missus was playing away with his best mate.

To top it all, the band were all cocaine users - I think Nicks and Buckingham were heavily addicted. Apparently, each day in the studio, there were fistfuls of coke piled up on a table for the band to tuck into at their leisure.

How the album ever got made is amazing. How it was so good is a bloody miracle.

Advertisement