Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caliper for 318TDS BMW

Options
  • 04-08-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hey,

the drivers side caliper on the front of my car is sticking. Causes a vibration in the steering, constant braking feeling on the car and it wears the discs down.

Car is old and has high mileage and isn't worth spending a lot on. I was hoping there was somewhere i could buy spurious calipers. I cant find any in Ireland on the net and the BMW one's are seriously expensive.
    I have tried Traynors and they dont have any TDS's. Would they be the same as any other BMW's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

caliper service kit should be available. Includes new seals and pistons easyish diy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

stratos wrote: »
    caliper service kit should be available. Includes new seals and pistons easyish diy job.

I didn't know the service kit included a new piston but it definitely includes all the seals...

It's probably a bit of corrosion on the piston, that's why its sticking... if you have it apart you should be able to remove the corrosion from the clipper with some back sand paper, be careful of the grade of sand paper you use so as not to score the piston...

There must be places that re-furb them too, can't imagine it would be mad money to get a re-furb.

Found this link after a quick google...
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/caliper/RebuildBrakeCaliper.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I would buy second hand rather than spurious,in my experience factors stuff isnt worth buying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have seen the odd one with pistons, I agree I would sand down the corrosion off the pistons myself. but being brakes and all caution is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Thanks for the replies guys. Is the repair kit only available from BMW or is it likely to be sold in motor factors?

I don't agree on the comment about the quality of spurious parts. Obviously some parts will be made badly (I'm looking at you China!!:D) but a lot of the time the OE parts are made by a third party (Lucas, Mintex etc) but sold at twice the price.

At this stage i'll take anything!! I'll try sanding down the piston at the weekend and if i can get a repair kit i'll bang it in..

Cheers

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. Is the repair kit only available from BMW or is it likely to be sold in motor factors?

I don't agree on the comment about the quality of spurious parts. Obviously some parts will be made badly (I'm looking at you China!!:D) but a lot of the time the OE parts are made by a third party (Lucas, Mintex etc) but sold at twice the price.

At this stage i'll take anything!! I'll try sanding down the piston at the weekend and if i can get a repair kit i'll bang it in..

Cheers

It looks like you can buy the piston, seal + outer boot from bmw:-

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CC52&mospid=47440&btnr=34_0369&hg=34&fg=05

The prices are from a few years ago in dollars, but typically equate to the euro value, so it would be about €24. Give your local dealer a shout and ask them how much p/n 34111153202 would be, they may need to order it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It looks like you can buy the piston, seal + outer boot from bmw:-

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CC52&mospid=47440&btnr=34_0369&hg=34&fg=05

The prices are from a few years ago in dollars, but typically equate to the euro value, so it would be about €24. Give your local dealer a shout and ask them how much p/n 34111153202 would be, they may need to order it in.

Cheers man. That should sort me out. I have a feeling that piston is fcuked on mine so i don't think the seals would have been enough.

Thanks,

ibh wrote: »
    Cheers man. That should sort me out. I have a feeling that piston is fcuked on mine so i don't think the seals would have been enough.

Thanks,

No worries, remember the rubber gloves when your stripping it down :D

Advertisement