Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into IT...

Options
  • 04-08-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

First post in this forum, great source of knowledge. I'm getting back into IT after a 5 year absence (I'm now 28). I was in 1st level tech support and that where I'm starting again (Eircom broadband, it's not much but it's a start). I didn't get any MCPs etc and am wondering how much they help now in terms of getting a better salary/job/conditions?

In other words, are they worth it? I suspect the answer is a resounding yes, but I might be wrong. If it's a yes I'll start self-study straight away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Well, experience and knowledge are more important than any piece of paper, but you still need to be able to prove this experience and knowledge to prospective employers. Industry qualifications are important for employability, and if you don't have a degree or similar qualification, they're essential. MCPs are as good a place to start as any, but you would most likely be best off looking at general networking certification as well (i.e. minimum Network+, preferably CCNA).

What area of IT are you looking to get into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What area of IT are you looking to get into?

I'm aiming for onsite desktop support first, then junior admin and work my way up from there. Hands-on is my favourite.

Any suggestions on the best qual route (Which MCP/MSCA/E?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Some certs are better for getting your foot in the door, others for getting a payrise.

Depending on what part of the whole IT Admin arena you want to get into, this will help you decide what ones you need and what are the quickest/easiest ones to achieve.

-First one I would pick up is the MCTS in Vista (70-620). The main reason for this is that is a very easy to achieve exam, gets you an MCTS straight away. MCTS by the way are the new generation MCP titles.

From there you can use it as an elective towards the MCSA/MCSE on 2003, as part of the MCTIP: Enterprise Admin on 2008 (tho I would probably aim at the Server Admin cert) or MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician

I would go for the MCITP: EST exam (70-622) after that. That is a cert aimed at Junior System Admin/Sr. Client Support

Backed up with experience it should allow you to get yourself in a position to get into the System Admin/Network Admin space and work on your MCSA/MCSE/MCITP

Hope this helps..

Thanks Ginger, that's a huge help! I'll get started on 70-620 right away - if I can find a copy of Vista!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Try here

Its a preconfigured VHD with Vista from MS

• Advertisement

Darn, none of those links work - MS seems to have gotten rid of eval/VHD Vista. Thanks again, I'll have another look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

did you find a eval/VHD Vista?

Not yet. Still looking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Ok,
    how are you going to study it, u gonna buy the book??any idea where's good

im thinking along the lines of those MCP's, but I have been told not to bother with them but I think they are good and its the higher up cert like the MCSP that employers like to see.

now to find the training materials and books!

Advertisement