Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easist way to secure a Linksys wireless network

Options
  • 04-08-2008 9:50pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What is the easiest way for me to secure my Linksys WRK54g router - it has 3 laptops, a desktop and 2 iphones that use it.

I've tried playing with the settings but can't do it :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Launch that browser and crack open http://192.168.1.1 (unless you changed it). Log in.

See screenshot and bring up this page:

WPA_instellen.gif

Put in a strong password, use WPA PSK (above) -- TKIP is fine as well. Save settings. Set up all your gear to use these security settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

is mac filtering considered as security?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks a mil that worked perfectly first time!
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

jon1981 wrote: »
    is mac filtering considered as security?

No. It's trivial to defeat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh no. It works fine on 2 laptops but on one of my laptops, when it asks for the passwrod, I get this error:

The network password needs to be 40 bits of 104 bits depending on the network configuration. This can entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 26 hexidecimal characters

Any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Zascar wrote: »
    Oh no. It works fine on 2 laptops but on one of my laptops, when it asks for the passwrod, I get this error:

The network password needs to be 40 bits of 104 bits depending on the network configuration. This can entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 26 hexidecimal characters

Any ideas
    Hmmm, that sounds more like WEP. Are you sure you've picked WPA? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is it an old laptop by any chance? Or is it using a 'b' wireless card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try link below for a random password generator, just enter the settings you want and click.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/

MC

Advertisement