Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be comfortable getting a massage from a masseur?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Masseur: male masseuse (just in case anyone was confused)

I've booked a couple of treatments in a hotel spa, one of them being a Hot Stone Massage. I was booking over the phone and the lady in the salon asked me would I be alright if a man preformed my massage for me. She said he is excellent and one of their best professionals. I faltered for a moment but said "Yeah, ok, sure....". I mean, its only a back and neck massage. I'd feel weird if it was a full body.

I think I'm fine with it, but after asking a few friends who said it was a big no-no for them, I was just wondering what the ladies here thought?

Edit: Actually, also, would any men get a massage from a masseur?

Comments

My answer is obvious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

I've had plenty of massages from masseurs, actually enjoy them more because of their extra strength, I feel more massaged.... or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Lol, I don't know if it's relevant at all to the situation, but I do have a boyfriend. I told him about it, and he didnt say much about it and hasnt said anything since so I don't think he's bothered.

I mean, he wouldnt be comfortable getting a massage from a person the same sex as himself (male obviously :rolleyes:) and would nearly automatically get a woman in a lot of spas, so it shouldn't really be a problem that I get a massage from a male, should it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have has two massages by a male masseur at a sports/alternitive medicine centre for neck and upper back tension but would have no problem with a female masseur doing same ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd have no problem with it :)
    My OH wouldn't either, he's trying to send me on a spa break soon.

Dunno if this is O/T, but Would you mind letting me know what you think of wherever you are going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I would, and have done. Certainly for a back, neck and shoulders massage. But I've had a full-body massage from a masseur before too. Felt a little bit weird initially, as paranoia flares briefly, but they're professionals. No weirder than getting a smear or breast exam from a male doctor. Slightly uncomfortable, but you just get over it.

Ok, if a masseur was obviously rubbing up against me, or getting aroused or something then obviously I'd freak out, but I wouldn't assume they're going to be unsavoury or anything. Bodies are just bodies, yeah?

A friend of mine is a highly-qualified masseur though, and can't get hired anywhere, because they won't hire male therapists because they'll lose custom. So he's stuck just doing housecalls, which isn't really paying the bills.

nouggatti wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with it :)
    My OH wouldn't either, he's trying to send me on a spa break soon.

Dunno if this is O/T, but Would you mind letting me know what you think of wherever you are going?

Yup! I'll see what I think of the place before I name it though!

I'm going in about 3 weeks

Just fyi, only other Spa I've been to was the one in the K-Club, bleedin' fabulous! :D Was my first Spa experience and I'm in love now! :D

microgirl wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a highly-qualified masseur though, and can't get hired anywhere, because they won't hire male therapists because they'll lose custom. So he's stuck just doing housecalls, which isn't really paying the bills.

I did wonder if that was why the Spa lady kinda pushed that idea forward, I was thinking it must be hard for fellas to get that kinda work.

When she said it, I had images of Samantha from Sex & The City :rolleyes: (apologies to anyone for whom that reference means nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I have had 2 massages full body from 2 different woman 1st one was fine was great but felt uncomfy with the 2nd one as she pulled shorts down a bit and reached up my legs a bit to far i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I recomend a good massage to anybody male or female regardless of age or physical complaint .You dont even have to have one (a physical complaint ) to enjoy but you will come out feeling a hell of a lot better afterwards imo .

If i could massage my own back i would :)

• Advertisement

I just adore massages. I'm always getting my OH to rub my back and my head! And he loves doin' it, yay! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Prefer massages from men to be honest, once they look after their hands and don't have hands like sandpaper, which isn't a great experience, did massage in college so got massages a couple of times a week, guys were always able to give the nice deep massage I liked so it was always better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Never even thought about the gender of the person giving me a massage, tbh. I've had full body massages from males and females, and it's always been great. I love massages. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I rented a room from a lady from the Philippines, she had a problem with her car and I offered to fix it for her. She didn't have a jack really suitable and so I had to use ramps. I still had to lie on my back under the car and really hurt my back. She suggested she gave me a massage, and then even walked on my back!

She had a boyfriend and said to me, 'what would he think if he walked in now?!' But she was very professional and I had no worries she would try anything. I have been looking to get a massage in Dublin, but haven't been anle to find anywhere except that new barber's in the Jervis centre. But they are pretty expensive, so might have to wait until after my holls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Tee hee, you should try a Turkish bath! A few of us went this summer and our faces were a picture when we realised we would be exfoliated, soaped and massaged by fella in lion-cloths! What was even funnier to be honest was that they was one guy in our group, and he wasnt comfy at all with the idea of a guy doing that to him.

In my opinion I wouldnt be too bothered over here, but if I had a preference I would choose a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wouldn't really care what gender someone who was giving me a massage was, as long as they did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Say no to a man rubbing me down?

Eh i doubt it! lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I wouldn't really care what gender someone who was giving me a massage was, as long as they did a good job.

+1

I'd prefer if it was a woman, smoother hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

omg I'm booked in for a hot stone massage in a bout three weeks too :D It's my first time in a spa, no idea if it's a man or woman as I wasn't the one who booked it. Might like a male one a bit too much :D

Go for it Cathooo it will be fun even if it was a woman doing it to you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Cathooo wrote: »
    omg I'm booked in for a hot stone massage in a bout three weeks too :D It's my first time in a spa, no idea if it's a man or woman as I wasn't the one who booked it. Might like a male one a bit too much :D

I remember sending my girlfriend for a hot stone massage, she loved it but the masseuse covered her in oil from top to toe... including her hair!! and told her not to shower for a day after it.

Also the day before you go you should only drink water, no coffee or soft drinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

One of the best massages I've had was from a male masseur. I wouldn't worry at all as they are professionals and probably went through a bit more vetting to work in a spa around semi naked ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Onkle wrote: »
    I remember sending my girlfriend for a hot stone massage, she loved it but the masseuse covered her in oil from top to toe... including her hair!! and told her not to shower for a day after it.

Also the day before you go you should only drink water, no coffee or soft drinks

Aw nuts, it's for a hen weekend and I'll be paintballing the day before and most likely be on the beer!! might have to rethink my choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

WindSock wrote: »
    One of the best massages I've had was from a male masseur. I wouldn't worry at all as they are professionals and probably went through a bit more vetting to work in a spa around semi naked ladies.

+1 Me too. I only just went for a Swedish Massage with a masseur at Sanas last week. Really good and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in going back to him. Very professional.

I've also been to another salon and I've had Aromatherapy Messages with masseuses and I've also been very happy with them. As long as they do a good job and are professional, I'm happy regardless of the genders.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Aw nuts, it's for a hen weekend and I'll be paintballing the day before and most likely be on the beer!! might have to rethink my choice :D

Ahh going to massage all your bruises from the paintballing.

Now you should get the guys in charge of the paintballing at the end to take the bride gun and tell her to run while you all run after her shooting her :D Done that on some stag do's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Depending on what i need to get done i will get either a male or female. Male for deep tissue/injury related stuff ( sorry ladies, they normally just have strong hands and if you ignore your muscles for long enough the knots can get pretty thick ) and the female touch for when i just want to destress.

I also know plenty of MT's so have a decent pick of people at all times which is nice.

I don't think any Ladies should feel odd about dealing with a bloke in such circumstances. Professionalism tends to abound far more with the males than the females to be honest.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

When i used to play rugby we had a male and female physio on the team. While the woman was great for doing arms and legs, the bloke worked wonders on my shoulders/back. Dosent bother me in the slightest if its a bloke doing it, as long as he dosent try to reach around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't you like happy endings? :P

It's funny though cause I didn't have a problem with it until someone asked me did I have a problem with it....then my mind went into overdrive. At one stage I very nearly came to the conclusion that if was to get a massage from a man that I was a bonafide slut :pac:

As long as he's not too firm :eek: I'm a sensitive soul!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I had a sports massage from a guy once, I went with a group of mates when we were on a break. He was brilliant, as has been said, men are very strong and good for deep massage,(although a friend of mine, female, gives the deepest massages of anyone I know, shes almost too tough.:)) he also gave lots of advice on an injury I was dealing with, because of his sports background. None of us had a problem or were embarrassed, and obviously he was professional and used to working on women.

As for it being an issue with boyfriends, I cant see why, hes a masseur doing his job, not a gigolo.:D

Advertisement