Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

female authors

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

Jeanette Winteron's novels, especially The Passion - a postmodern romance (between, among others, Napoleon and chicken ;) ) set during Napoleonic Wars. Lyrical, witty, original. Beautiful :)

Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber - a postmodern, feminist (the good kind!) rewriting of popular fairy-tales. Not for people under 18, though! :)

Anything by Dorothy Allison - a representative of the lesbian white trash 'school' of writing. Her collection of short stories, Trash, is perhaps one of the best books that have come out from the southern states in the last couple of decades. Then again, it's only my opinion ;)

Oh, and for some good, light reading you can't go wrong with Jennifer Weiner. I'd especially recommend her Good in Bed - a good, uplifting, chick-novel, and a must-read for all women who have ever worried about their weight and its impact on their relationships (esp with thinner men ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Roisin89

I really love Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice
    I know it's been said but The Bell Jar, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I read a lot of books by guys too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Lemon wrote: »

Sarah Waters 'The Night Watch'

'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath is an excellent book...

I would add from my favourites:
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Warthon
    Emma Brown by Clare Boylan
    The house in Paris by Elizabeth Bowen
    A guest of honor by Nadine Gordimer
    The prime of Miss Brodie by Muriel Spark
    The mandarins by Simone De Beauvoir

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

Surprised not to see Mary Stanley here. I love her books.

She touches on delicate (taboo?) subjects, but they never get you down. I find her books uplifting and always full of hope.

The first book I read was Retreat. It took me back to my schooldays. I remember one passage, not realising that it was funny, I found myself laughing out loud!!!

I think this quote:
    "'Warm, and even at its darkest, never entirely black. An engrossing read.'
    Irish Sunday Independent"
    says what I want to say, in a nutshell.

:)rla

Advertisement