Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Vai Vs Satriani

• 04-08-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Who do you reckon is the better guitar player?i know satriani is very jazzy and bluesy,and vai more of the showman with the shredding etc,but who do you reckon has the most technical skill?Or can they be compared?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

its hard to say. if you're basing it on pure technicality then vai gets it, ditto for showmanship and for being well.....out there.

but i'd take satch any day as he sometimes writes actual decent songs without having to **** all over them....he's a musician. (and a nice bloke too)

and if you're picking albums, my personal preference would be vai's alien love secrets (the least all out wanky vai recording) and satchs joe satriani or crystal planet....stopped listening to him after engines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Joe Satriani gets my vote. What a legend.

Although the guitarist from Dream Theater is also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

its hard to say. if you're basing it on pure technicality then vai gets it, ditto for showmanship and for being well.....out there.

but i'd take satch any day as he sometimes writes actual decent songs without having to **** all over them....he's a musician. (and a nice bloke too)

and if you're picking albums, my personal preference would be vai's alien love secrets (the least all out wanky vai recording) and satchs joe satriani or crystal planet....stopped listening to him after engines...
    Yes,engines went a bit too far really,though the new one professor satchafunkilus wasnt too bad,he seems a really nice bloke alright,iv seen some pod casts and he really goes all out for the fans.
    Whereas vai seems very preoccupied with image and how hes looking etc with his leather and fishnet and fan blowing his hair:D,satch just has jeans and t-shirt on!
    Fav album satriani,probably surfing with the alien
    and vai,passion and warfare is up there(its what got me into him in the first place),though i do like the ultra zone also.
    Some G3 vids....
    Vai with a 3 neck guitar...12string/normal and fretless i think..?

And satch playing satch boogie(love that song)!

:D

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Joe Satriani gets my vote. What a legend.

Although the guitarist from Dream Theater is also very good.
    Petrucci,yes hes good,but not on the same level as the vai and satch IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

This should be good....Satch for me. Petrucci still too young. What about Vaughan and Hendrix.

• Advertisement

What about Vaughan and Hendrix.
    I wouldnt say they were anywhere near as technical as vai and satch,suppose you could throw paul gilbert into the mix too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly, I love 'em both. You can debate it until you're blue in the face, but you still got to admit they've both got their own unique styles that are almost instantly recognisable, and they are great musicians and composers.

Sometimes I'll feel like listening to Vai and sometimes Satriani, but I don't have a particular preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

Saw Vai in Vicar st. about 6 years ago, lov' watchin him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Both fantastic imo. Gotta take my hat off to Satriani though. He did teach Vai how to play afterall (and helped Hammet polish up his style and skills!). Plus i find Satriani puts so much soul into his music...whereas Vai can sometimes get a little crazy and push the shredding a bit too close to show-offiness.

So it's Satriani for me!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭shredmaster777

LOL, I stopped asking this question years ago. A few years later I stopped trying to answer it.
    Right now I'm recking my head on this one: which is better, apple or orange?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Seen them both a cupla times, Satch for me!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Both...have a nice fruit salad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The age old question of if the student is now teaching the teacher.
    But i think it's a case of personal preference at the end of the day. I prefer Satriani to be honest, although i'll never take anything away from Vai, but some of his stuff is too "out there" for my tastes.

While other names are being thrown into the mix, surprised Michael Angelo Batio or Jennifer Batten haven't been mentioned.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

not to rain on the parade, but when I hit 15 I realised it's a load of w@nk. "look at me...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Personal choice for sure, and mine is Satriani. It's a pleasure to listen to his music while driving or relaxing:D:D

I know there's a seperate forum for Blues, but as guitarists go Joe Bonamassa is definitely worth a mention:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

Prefer Satriani because he's a better sound, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Steve Vai - mainly because of For The Love of God, the only song by either of these two i listen to regularly. Boston Rain Melody is another good tune.

Y'know what would be interesting? Next time a G3 event takes place, get Vai to cover a Satriani song, and Satriani to cover a Vai song! :D

(or has that been already done?)

Changed my mind...Paul gilbert rocks!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭shredmaster777

Steve Vai - mainly because of For The Love of God, the only song by either of these two i listen to regularly. Boston Rain Melody is another good tune.

Check out my cover of FTLOG. I'm currently learning "Juice".

http://www.myspace.com/projectgnosis

BTW, in the battle of Vai Vs Satch, Petrucci wins :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 G-izzles

BTW, in the battle of Vai Vs Satch, Petrucci wins :)

Hahaha! Genius! But what about Malmsteen? (that was a joke btw)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Vai did do the music for most of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey didn't he?
    Is that or a bad thing?!
    I think its very hard to make a call between the two of them. They are at the extreme of technical complexity, something fantastic to watch, but somehow not as incredible as simply an aural experience. You need to see those fingers fly to really appreciate what they are doing IMO.

You need to see those fingers fly to really appreciate what they are doing IMO.

Ding ding! we have a winner.
    And that is why the G3 DVDs were created, watching those is the best way to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Satch for me. Crystal Planet is Brilliant
    Strange Beautiful Music is one of my favourite driving albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

mmm I vote for Satriani..

Satriani all the way. He has more feel than any other superguitarist IMO.

Advertisement