Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 month old toddler nutrition

Options
  • 04-08-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

my 20 month old eats no sweets or the likes and drinks mostly water, sometimes milk or smoothies. but he is very picky and reserved in what he eats. im hoping if i give a list of his typical day of eatin someone might be tellin me if he's ok. i just need a second opinion really. he's not keen on trying new foods and although i offer them daily i dont want to force him.

breakfast he has porridge made from soya milk and with milled flax and gogi berries. i also give him udos oil. and soon after he has fruit normally banana

mid morning snack - sesame sticks and some raisons and oatcakes or crackers and a plum or apple. to be honest he gets raisons a lot throughout the day. they contain a lot of iron and he's kind of addicted to them so unsure weather or not i should ration them?

lunch - a slice of 2 of wholegrain bread or soda bread or ryvita cracker or rice cakes a yogurt and grapes.

dinner - he doesnt always eat dinner. if he does its only potatoe, veg (normally carrot and a green) and various meat but the ratio is always on that order too. is the ratio ok? he's used to my mams dinners as i work at this time and won't try my dinners. if he doesnt eat dinner il give him another piece of fruit or yogurt or bread until he's full.

and for supper he has brown rice cereal with milk,

you see my problem is that the food i hav listed is literally all the food he eats. thats why the days he wont eat dinner i really dont know what do give him. he wont touch the normal stuff toddlers want, i think its because i spent his weanin time tryin to make him healthy, i think it backfired. im tryin to get him to eat eggs and beans which i can manage sometimes by mixin a small amount in with dinner (the days he'l eat dinner.

i chose to post here instead of parentin as i figure posters here would have more knowledge on the nutritional end of things. thanks for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my 20 month old eats no sweets....
    to be honest he gets raisins a lot throughout the day. they contain a lot of iron and he's kind of addicted to them so unsure weather or not i should ration them?
    They also contain a lot of sugar, around 65% so you might want to watch that. Many would consider them sweets or a treat, better than real sweets but not too far removed.

I am not sure what kids intake should be though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi OP, I can totally understand your reasoning behind posting here, and if you were an adult looking for feedback on the food for your own consumption there wouldn't be a problem at all, but a young child's nutritional needs can be very different to that of a grown up, and methods for getting a child to expand on their food repertoire wouldn't be one of the forum's strong points :) . I'm going to send this over to parenting to see what other posters have to say - if needed it can be bounced back to N&D.
    i chose to post here instead of parentin as i figure posters here would have more knowledge on the nutritional end of things. thanks for your time

Parenting Mods - moved from Nutrition & Diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

From my point of view he seems to be eating an awful lot.Breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner/snack/supper/snack.Maybe cut out some of the snacks and see if he will eat dinner or maybe dinnre a bit later and no supper.Is he still on formulae or being breastfed as well.If your not sure your pnd or doctor will be able to advise you.

Advertisement