Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Ski Advice

• 04-08-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Looking to buy a used Jet Ski, any advice on where best to look? preferably in Ireland.

Apologies if this is not in the appropriate forum it's the closest i could find!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ciaranmul wrote: »
    Looking to buy a used Jet Ski, any advice on where best to look? preferably in Ireland.

Apologies if this is not in the appropriate forum it's the closest i could find!

Try www.powerboat.ie and www.apolloduck.ie Also read the post Jet Ski Help Plz from 1/6/08
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevinoneill

Did you get your hands on a ski in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My advise if you want a ski: Think LONG and HARD about it.

It's only a matter of time before ski's are stricly regulated, or banned completely in Ireland (I am campaigning to save them but some County Councils are just being ignorant and banning them outright)

JetSki's are seen as the nuisance on the water. The reason being for this is because people with no prior experience/education go out, don't realise that they're p1ssing people off etc. etc. - So for example, you go out any buy a Ski next week, launch it WAHOOO! great craic, flying around the place, zooming in and out of moorings, waving at everyone watching you etc. when infact those people would love to see you drown.

Get some training, spend a day doing an ISA course and get a feel for a ski, learn the do's and don'ts before spending your hard earned cash on one.

JetSki's are great for a few weeks, then it's the same oul sh1te day in, day out, and to add they're damn uneconomic.

Don't take it the wrong way, i'm not anti-jetski - I owned one myself up to last summer, but decided to move onto other things. I much prefer the RIB/Powerboat Racing/Cruising aspect of the water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

As a sailor, I've never had a single positive experience when a jetski was involved.

COLREGS states that a jetski is covered by COLREGs so GO LEARN WHAT IT SAYS in COLREGs.

(COLREGs = International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea).

I'd happily see them banned. And as mentioned above, I'd happily see anyone being stupid on them drown. :mad:

Sorry for stirring, but they're a pet hate of mine. Everyone else seems to be able to abide by COLREGs (most of the time) and to have some idea what they're at but I've NEVER seen a jet-skier behave responsibly - and that includes doing a safe speed. They also have a tendency to duck and weave around boats, which is outright dangerous, especially when they do this in narrow channels. They're the scurge of the seas.

Don't buy one, get something that you won't be ostracised for owning.

miss no stars - While I can feel your frustration, your post is nothing more than a silly raggy rant. I have spent some time on various types of vessel (inc. sailing - granted nothing major) and your argument sucks tbh. I've seen almost every type of vessel break some sort of SOLREG or another over the past few years, incl. Mobo's and raggies.

I guess you've bad luck on your location, if you've only ever had bad experiences with ski's. Infact, you say you've never had a positive experience - What do you want them to do, bow down before you as they pass you? :confused:

I would like to make a suggestion, which of course you probably won't take heed of: Don't tar everyone with the same brush. Yes, the majority of ski's in this country are eejits, but there's a minority out there that are responsible. Why should that minority be bullied our of their sport? Your attitude sucks. To give you a comparison or your argument, it's like me saying that all raggies are stuck up cnuts who think they own the water and have right to everything..... because that is the opinion i've formed from every raggie i've seen before

-Edit- I've just re-read your post, and i'm utterly shocked. You're obviously not much of a water user (however profound you're trying to come accross as) as you've just stated you'd like to see someone drown. As a rescue volunteer for various water organisations, i'm just glad that your narrow-minded ignorant attitude is rare. Karma is a bitch, and some day you're going to regret saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

What about sailors who motor sail without the correct signals? Highly iritating worse then jet skis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Actually I was saying I'd like to see people who put others lives' in danger drown. And I didn't say it completely in earnest, I'd just rather they were not on the water. I'd rather they maintained a safe speed (legal requirement), didn't break harbour speed limits (yes they exist).
    As for what do I want them to do...
    Lets see... hold a qualification of some sort, which would imply that at the very least they're COLREGs aware (I'm hoping you do), obey harbour speed limits, not impede the safe passage of vessels restricted in their ability to manoeuvre/constrained by their draught, not pass within 2 feet of a sailing vessel (which can cause SERIOUS damage to it). Is that unreasonable? Seriously? And no, I don't want them to bow down. I'd rather see MORE people out on the water enjoying themselves but I'd rather see it done responsibly. Why should you be allowed out on a jetski without a license, obtained by proof of your ability to understand COLREGs and behave accordingly (similar to driving test). I'd like to see this in place for ALL types of vessel that aren't under instruction by a qualified instructor. That's not being unreasonable, that's being safety concious.

My post wasn't just a rant either, it was warning that jetskis are covered under COLREGs and should be aware of this and behave accordingly. As I said, I've NEVER seen this occur. Yes, it bothers me when I see motor boaters and sailors completely ignorant of COLREGs too, motor boaters can do a lot of damage, too, but the damage a sailing boat (that seldom has to avoid you btw) is very limited by the fact that their speed is very limited. I've seen sailors blatently ignorant of COLREGs too (and deliberately disobeying). Regulation and enforcement is what's called for :mad:

It looks like we're pretty much in agreement here in the long scope. I'm not looking for an internet argument, yes i've got plenty of textbook qualifications and a filthy amount of practical mobo experience (not to much sail) for my age so let's leave it at that - We could argue all night claiming that we have X qualification and X experience, but it's pointless as we could be lieing through our teeth. You're damn right about basic tuition/qualification. I wrote various local and national articles (One even made it to a UK magazine!) during the summer with regard to Jetski regulation, and to summarise, my main argument was not to ban PWC's, but to regulate and enforce training (Which you may have gotten the jist of from another post that I made in this thread)

I like my water toys, I race powerboats during the summer, like doing both inland and coastal cruising, aswell as just floating about and watching the sunset. However my one hate about this country is that any cnut who has a big bank balance can go out and buy a monster of a boat just like 'that', without even needing to identify their boat oficially (Except on the Shannon where a WI registration is needed to moor at WI piers). In general, with the boating community in Ireland, there is a minority that is ruining it for the rest of us.

miss_no_stars - As i've stated before, i've sold my Jetski last year and moved onto bigger and better things, but please don't tar them all with the same brush. Do a bit of research on Lough Derg Jetski Club and get in touch with those guys. I can *guarantee* that these guys have as much, if not more textbook and practical experience than a lot of sailors around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rhit5

There's a fella in DELETED who has a rake of used skis! SPAM is the name of his place, have a look there. Anyone where i can buy Traction mats in the Uk or ireland for a GP1200r??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Jet ski are seen in a very negative light by many water users due to the behaviour of some of the jet ski users. I like to think this is down to ignorance on behalf of the users and that if some training was taken they'd be much safer and less of a nuisance. Some other types of boats also cause the same types of problems going through moorings and swimming areas at speed but the majority of this type of behaviour appears to be done by jet ski. There have been a number of high profile incidents in the past few years due to jet ski but incidents have also occured with other boat types. Training is needed to operate any type of boat, it is not currently legislated for so it is up to the idividual to ensure they are safe.
    At the end of the day alot of people do silly things on the water. I will still go out and get them if they need help. They may get a stern lecture if what they've done is stupid and they're not hurt too badly. I do think jet ski have a use and some operators are excellent(I know of one group who help out with disadvantaged children to get them onto the water) but there are idiots as with everything else in life. Personally I'd love some surfers/kite surfers to get a few jet ski to provide their own safety cover off season. They do get a boring very quickly unless there's racing organised or some other purpose other than going at high speed.
    @OP get a thundercat as they're more fun, having a racing league and can be used as a normal boat if you get bored of high speed slamming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement