Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers or Bruxelles?

• 04-08-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

So I'm a little of obsessed with Bruxelles - the rock bar that is although I'm not much of a metal head. The people and the atmosphere is beyond any other place I have drank and its become kind of like a second home.... and not just because I love rocker boys- the best kind of boy.

I don't like fibbers as much, then again I haven't spent as much time there. I don't mind the lack of live music in Bruxelles also the crowd seems a little older.

Should I give fibbers another chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Fibbers is full of emos and smells of piss.

Bruxelles is far too loud to the point you can't even hear yourself think. And it's always packed on Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm getting old. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last time I went to Fibbers it felt like it was wall to wall 16 year old emo kids, I wouldn't bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Badkitty

Those damn emo kids! Don't they have some hanging around central bank to be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ToolFool

All i know is, i have, at one stage or another, been barred from both places. Not saying why!!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I've only been to Bruxelles a few times, I did have a good night most times, but it depended on the company.

I really like Fibbers, well on Thurs + Fridays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

for a drinking, social point of view, both are smelly dives. fibbers has a clientelle of average age 16, and a dress code that excludes anyone not wearing eye make-up (regardless of gender) and some emo bands' t-shirt.

bruxelles has a better group of people, but they're all packed in tight into the place, and can often be ignorant when moving through to the toilet/bar.

the biggest problem with both is that neither of them actually serve nice alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

bruxelles every time,just a pity it's so poxy small:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Played a gig in Fibbers a few weeks ago on a Saturday night and I quite liked it. Didn't see too many emos around but I heard from others that some nights you can't move for side fringes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Other than before 1 or 2 gigs, haven't been to Fibbers properly in about 10+ years, however in the last month or so, a few mates of mine have taken to going to Fibbers on a Thursday night & are raving about it. They keep trying to persuade me to go some week & one of them was even trying to get me to go there for my birthday (a step too far me thinks) :eek:!

Can't see myself being arsed tbh going in any Thursday, but my mates would be between 25 - 35, so hardly a younger crowd, but for any of you older people, maybe it's improved (although I'd imagine it still smells of piss)!

Bruxies is pretty much the only place I drink in, although seriously bored at the mo. Have been trying to mix it up a bit - go to the foggy / porterhouse etc. first or as an alternative, because it just gets so repetitive, but it's really hard to get many people to budge from Bruxelles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sugarman wrote: »
    some nice girls, some slutty girls
    Slutty goth girls ftw!

=-=

Bruxelles is expensive, but if H is on the decks, always a good mix of metal. The crowd is usually friendly, but it's usually very hot in the place.

Fibbers is cheap. Been there for a few gigs, and I like it. Like the smoking area in Fibbers more so than Bruxelles. Crowd is friendly, and once you're not too near the stage, it's cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

i was doing the inter rail across europe, years ago, and we stopped in rome. whilst there we went to a 'rock hard' bar (thats what it was called), it was fvckin immaculately clean(compared to irish/english places anyway). it was filled with italian metal heads- who, it must be said, are a damn sight more suave and stylish than their english/irish counterparts.no frizzy unkempt mops, they all had well combed slick long hair- think antonio banderas. all had clean clothes on with well trimmed beards, they were still metal- but not crusty. I think I saw two lads in there drinking coffee! kinda weird but definitely one of the most striking examples in the differences in culture.

we looked like fvckin tramps- there was almost one of those wild west man walks into a bar and everything goes silent scenes going on.

I dont go to either fibbers or bruxelles- simply 'cos the smokin areas are sh1t.

anyone remember the da club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Id go with Fibbers, as I think i know the manager.

[Mind you i have never been in either of them, {yet! turned 18 yesterday so sub par pubs here I come}]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

ZakAttak wrote: »
    i was doing the inter rail across europe, years ago, and we stopped in rome. whilst there we went to a 'rock hard' bar (thats what it was called), it was fvckin immaculately clean(compared to irish/english places anyway). it was filled with italian metal heads- who, it must be said, are a damn sight more suave and stylish than their english/irish counterparts.no frizzy unkempt mops, they all had well combed slick long hair- think antonio banderas. all had clean clothes on with well trimmed beards, they were still metal- but not crusty. I think I saw two lads in there drinking coffee! kinda weird but definitely one of the most striking examples in the differences in culture.

we looked like fvckin tramps- there was almost one of those wild west man walks into a bar and everything goes silent scenes going on.

Hah ****ing lol!

well combed slick long hair
    clean clothes
    not crusty
    drinking coffee

You sure ya didn't wander into a gay bar by mistake!:pac:

But back to Brux vs. Fibbers, I've never been to Brux and I've only to Fibbers when a gig was on, but I find it to be grand. Miller is good and the blond behind the bar is quality too. It's really becoming the hub for any local metal gigs, and it looks like the management are trying their best to improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Frequented both over the years. It really does depend on your scene.
    Bruxelles for decent enough beer, even better jukebox, and somewhere to hang with yer mates.

Fibbers if you want pisswater for beer, an occasional mosh and to pull Jenny Jailbait at the end of the night.
    But at least Fibbers can bring in gigs for local bands, which is always a plus for the Dublin and surrounding metal scene.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just be thankful you have a choice of Rock/Metal locations. Here in Galway we have the scummy dive that is Sally Longs and not a whole lot else :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ToolFool

Jenny Jailbait still going to Fibbers? After all these years......:D
    Anyone remember City Hall? (Now called Brogans bar, on Dame St), that wasn't a bad place. Bit small, but a good crowd of people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Just get your pint bottles of European beers on a Thursday night in fibbers and you're set! Only really notice the smell in fibbers downstairs by the old pool table, otherwise it's grand and it's smokin area is grand. Couches and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

ToolFool wrote: »
    Jenny Jailbait still going to Fibbers? After all these years......:D
    Anyone remember City Hall? (Now called Brogans bar, on Dame St), that wasn't a bad place. Bit small, but a good crowd of people.

Sure do, was only in there a few weeks ago. You never know who will be in there, very arty place (which is the way it should be). Don't bother with the pub culture of it all anymore, just go for the relaxing, chilled out feel of a lot of the places.Good music, good company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Badkitty wrote: »
    Those damn emo kids! Don't they have some hanging around central bank to be done?

Why are people so bothered that people who wear certain kinds of clothes might be drinking in the same place as them? Pretty pathetic in my estimation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

I live in Bruxelles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Don't like either place really. Fibbers is ok if you're pissed, and I've been going there quite often recently. Mostly because my mates go and you can't beat the €3 a drink tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

It's swings and roundabouts really isn't it?

I used to like Bruxelles but since they've changed the bar around you end up on yer own and not really able to mingle with others if yer a stranger in town.

Fibbers has Thomas Brunkard running gigs now and DME are putting events in there all the time now. I was in there for NFD and had a mighty laugh.

They've put a new PA in there, and as it stands it's the only place to be once Motorhead are done on halloween...

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Bruxies has been going fairly downhill the last while. Most staff are pricks and excepting Averill and H, the DJs are ****e. Not to mention pints of guinness going up to nearly €6 after midnight.

Conversely, Fibbers has become a pretty savage live venue and €3 drinks nights are rather lovely indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

fibbers is my usual pub when im out but thats only because my friends go there. bruxelles IS way too small though downstairs. so they both suck in my own opinion but i suppose 3 euro drinks on thursdays makes fibbers come out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Hope to see some of ya for some beers in Bruxies before Metallica tomorrow. :D Oh yeah, Bruxies for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Only really go to fibbers with my brother and his mates. If there's one thing I've learned about fibbers is NEVER get involved with a fibbers girl, ever *shudders*

Also I've worn my villa jersey in there too, was grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    Why are people so bothered that people who wear certain kinds of clothes might be drinking in the same place as them? Pretty pathetic in my estimation.

It's not the clothes. Emo kids are all twats. It's just that the rest of society is lucky that they all dress exactly the same, so we can spot them and avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

fobster wrote: »
    the blond behind the bar is quality too.best to improve it.

Yes she is. Eva is her name.....quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's not the clothes. Emo kids are all twats.

That statement is ridiculous, you say that it's not the clothes yet you seem to be able to define people as "emo kids" by what they wear? Thus assuming that they are twats? By that logic you're no better than some 13-year old pikeys who decide they don't like "the rawkarz" in their class. How embarassing for you, sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Rockee wrote: »
    Hope to see some of ya for some beers in Bruxies before Metallica tomorrow. :D Oh yeah, Bruxies for me.

Class night. Did Metallica come down for a drink after all?

Advertisement