Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers or Bruxelles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Fibbers.
    Jack Vegas wrote: »
    That statement is ridiculous, you say that it's not the clothes yet you seem to be able to define people as "emo kids" by what they wear? Thus assuming that they are twats? By that logic you're no better than some 13-year old pikeys who decide they don't like "the rawkarz" in their class. How embarassing for you, sir.

Actually he was saying that it's not the clothes that annoy him, it's the people themselves. He didn't try to define them by what they wear either. He defined them by saying they're all twats. Get some reading comprehension.

Also I'd just like to point out that it was you Jack Vegas who first mentioned clothes. No-one else had mentioned it until you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Badkitty

Stop fighting on my first thread! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Badkitty wrote: »
    Stop fighting on my first thread! :(

Sorry Kitty. Thread's been done to death
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054877440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

personally, i found bruxelles too loud, too crowded, and, didnt have a problem with the crowd, but didnt find the buzz to be too great. fibbers, on a thursday night, well, i just love it. i love the atmosphere, most of the music, the smoking sections nice, the dancefloor, pool and €3 drinks all deserve a mention, plus it's just where i always get to see my mates. the soundsystem works so that if you wana hear music and only music, you can, or you can also just find your own little spot where it's well easy to chat and stuff. <3 fibbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Actually he was saying that it's not the clothes that annoy him, it's the people themselves. He didn't try to define them by what they wear either. He defined them by saying they're all twats. Get some reading comprehension.

Also I'd just like to point out that it was you Jack Vegas who first mentioned clothes. No-one else had mentioned it until you did.

Here, my reading comprehension is class.

Well, if you don't mind me asking, how do you identify an "emo kid"? If you want to seriously state that every "emo kid" is a twat, and can somehow pick them out of a large crowd in a popular pub, you'd want to have a surefire way of identifying the little rascals. For some reason I have a niggling feeling that he might be labelling these people on...no...never...appearance? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've only been to Bruxelles once and that was a Tuesday afternoon outside and it was relatively quiet but yeah it seemed to be ok.

Fibbers is alright, nothing amazing now but it has gotten very downhill. They really have to stop making the smoking area so small by moving the barriers in.
    I think they've stopped that now.

If you're gonna judge a place on €3 a drink then your standards must be very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

... standards or bank account? if you're going out to have a few drinks, it helps if you can actually afford them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

i see where you're coming from Lady Froo of the Crumble. the last two times i was in fibbers they didnt end too well in the long run, and it made me realise something. (should have copped it the first time but you know me, i only play with matches until i get burned.) Need to go to fibbers with a good group of friends or else i find the place to be fvery hostile.

havent been into Bruxelles since my 18th, i dont really remember it after the three initiation shots. but i remember it being small and cramped. good atmosphere although you get some of the most pretentious ****ers from dublin swarming in the bar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

jaysus!!! bruxelles is a right expensive kip these days. was there tuesday night meeting some fellow metallica freaks and i swear they added 40c to the price of a pint every hour:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

Goat Mouth wrote: »
    good atmosphere although you get some of the most pretentious ****ers from dublin swarming in the bar...

which bar are you talking about here, upstairs or downstairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

Argh, I used to go to Bruxelles all the time when I was 17 (am 22 now) and the Indie bar used to be fun and rock bar too good mix of people, went there on Saturday last week and it was just so lame, €3.80 for half a glass of coke?!

Plus the staff were really hostile, the people were in their late 30's 40's, hard to have a laugh when you feel like your parents could jut out at any moment.

Fibbers does smell and they do let let far too many kids in, but the drink is cheap on Thursdays and there is usually a good crowd outside smoking, perfect for smoke flirting :cool:

Fibbers any day over Bruxelles. Damn it's sad that there are only two choices. Hmmm, although Foggy dew is pretty good too, good music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

Well im a Corkman so both are only visited when theres a gig on in the capital, but in my experience anyway both are ok for a few gatts but,a couple of weeks back (round the time of Metallica) Bruxelles was jam packed and quite a portion of the crowd were utter eejits.. And plus the fact that one of my mates was absolutely twisted drunk and nobody behind the bar took a second look at him. Quite easy to judge a bar by the staff and theyre attitude toward the customers, and not giving a flying **** about someone who's pissed enough to cause himself or others some harm is not a good attitude. So my vote on this is Fibbers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Teh Russ

I was always a Fibbers man myself. I like Bruxelles, the crowd are, on the whole, a bit nearer my age than the Fibbers lot and mostly a nice bunch, but it's too crowded and prone to nutters - I sat down in there one night next to some dodgy bloke who proceeded to tell me about how he'd just got out of jail for killing his girlfriend... I was straight out the door and off to Fibbers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I've only been to Bruxelles once, and I found while the music was way too loud, it was rather quiet and a bit boring. However, it could just have been a one-off.

I've been in Fibber's a lot more, and I prefer it. Good music, €3 drink, and to answer one of the OP's original queries, there are plenty of nice rocker boys there. :D

Though, there is of course the infamous smell that takes a bit of getting used to, unfortunately. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

bruxelles was amazing untill i got banned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BAsTid

i'm in the middle on this one, i generally a fibbers guy but have been to brux's quite abit over the years and i have to say both have pro's and con's. End o day if you've got a good group of peoples with ya it dont matter where you are you'll have a good time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Wheres the poll? Bruxelles is better due to its lack of sweaty fat people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Bruxelles, because of its prime city centre location and up market prices, is aimed at working professionals and those in their early to mid 20s onwards whereas Fibbers is aimed at anyone who can afford £3 a drink, namely those who go into town every Thursday night from the age they're old enough to fool the doorman that their fake ID is legit

Fibbers is, however, acceptable relaxation after any metal gig in the Ambassador and does serve as a good meeting point to discuss the performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Bruxelles, without a doubt. Good location, great people and metal, what more could you want!
    Fibbers smells like piss and it's full of emos. Not even €3 a drink could entice me to Fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Practically lived in both places in the early 90's

Dont like the new layout of Brux at all, just doesnt seem right

Was at the Megadeth gig with my 17 yr old nephew and he was itching to go to Fibbers. Thought sure why not for old time sake etc.

Felt about 90yrs old and left feeling verrrrrrrryyyy depressed. Nobody is mentioning Charlies Rock Bar though!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Cathy666 wrote: »
    Bruxelles, without a doubt. Good location, great people and metal, what more could you want!
    Fibbers smells like piss and it's full of emos. Not even €3 a drink could entice me to Fibbers.

Aye, but the piss smell gives Fibbers its 'rustic charm'...or something. That , and the numerous Buckfast bottles littering the floor by closing time. I don't know, it just has a better vibe than Bruxelles to me .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

population wrote: »
    Was at the Megadeth gig with my 17 yr old nephew and he was itching to go to Fibbers. Thought sure why not for old time sake etc.

Felt about 90yrs old and left feeling verrrrrrrryyyy depressed. Nobody is mentioning Charlies Rock Bar though!!!!

I felt that way in 1997, and I was only 21 then!!
    It's a great apprentice rocker haunt, after that, forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

both gone to the dogs |(literally)....sad but true.....

now its like comparing two types of ****e....dark and smelly or dark and smelly with more nuts lol

both gone to the dogs |(literally)....sad but true.....

now its like comparing two types of ****e....dark and smelly or dark and smelly with more nuts lol

I actually still enjoy Bruxelles. Music is still decent and it's not full of kids. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

One thing I don't like about Bruxelles is the very loud music, now I know it's a metal bar and Fibbers can be loud at times too but I'd rather not roar at somebody who's 3 inches away from my head ! You know how it goes "DO YOU LIKE THAT SONG BY XXXX ?!?!"..."WHAT ?!?!"..."YEAH THATS THE ONE !!"..."WHAT ?!".

Ah that only adds to the charm! Bruxelles without loud music would be like Pizza without the cheese! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Definately Bruxelles. By far the more enjoyable of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Neither. I always prefered Charlies Rock Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss_lady

well whatever happened to variety? hahaha Ive been to both and still go to both :)
    I like Fibbers for gigs, my mate used to go every thursday and raved about it but I never made it in... might do on one occasion to see what the fuss is about.
    Bruxelles is nice in summer when you can sit outside in the sun, or whatever little glimmer of light we can call sun in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Fibbers FTW - €3 drink on thursdays, gigs/karaoke on fridays.. all you could want. Although admittedly i had a bad first time experience of brux so i wont be going back... might make me biased!

Advertisement