Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers or Bruxelles?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Acacia wrote: »
    Same here. And kind of dead too. I just prefer Fibber's, it has a great atmosphere, love the place!

Depends really. There was a great atmosphere there last Saturday. Packed full of people heading to the AC/DC gig. There are times I despise it though but more often than not I've had a great night in there.

Bruxies is ok for a quiet pint with someone during the day or something. Nicer surroundings in Bruxies but just not great at night time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

That_Guy wrote: »
    Depends really. There was a great atmosphere there last Saturday. Packed full of people heading to the AC/DC gig. There are times I despise it though but more often than not I've had a great night in there.

Bruxies is ok for a quiet pint with someone during the day or something. Nicer surroundings in Bruxies but just not great at night time really.

Yeah, Fibber's on an empty night's not great (even so, I've managed to have a fairly good time even when it's dead). I just like how there's two levels and a nice warm smoking area ;)

Bruxelle's has disappointed me more often than not, though.

Yeah, Fibber's on an empty night's not great (even so, I've managed to have a fairly good time even when it's dead). I just like how there's two levels and a nice warm smoking area ;)

Bruxelle's has disappointed me more often than not, though.

The smoking area is great in Fibbers now. Much more open and more space. Inside needs a bit of work.

The smoking area is great in Fibbers now. Much more open and more space. Inside needs a bit of work.

It's like a little extension onto the place really.

Yeah, but in a way Fibber's grottiness is what makes it great,gives it character, I love reading all the graffiti in the girls' downstairs bathroom ...then again, I'm weird.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, i think it's the only place ive ever written on walls, the girl's bathroom there. wrote there on my last night there before moving to nz, and twas great to see it still there 10months later when i was back for a holiday.

• Advertisement

ha, i think it's the only place ive ever written on walls, the girl's bathroom there. wrote there on my last night there before moving to nz, and twas great to see it still there 10months later when i was back for a holiday.

That's pretty cool, like leaving a little part of you there...or something.:) Don't mind me, I get a little poetic sometimes!:p

Yeah, it's funny reading them when you're drunk, my favorites are "Men are sh1t" and "DJ's are pr1cks...when they don't play your song."

:pac:

It's like a little extension onto the place really.

Yeah, but in a way Fibber's grottiness is what makes it great,gives it character, I love reading all the graffiti in the girls' downstairs bathroom ...then again, I'm weird.:p

I love reading it too whenever I'm in there. ;)

That's pretty cool, like leaving a little part of you there...or something.:) Don't mind me, I get a little poetic sometimes!:p

Yeah, it's funny reading them when you're drunk, my favorites are "Men are sh1t" and "DJ's are pr1cks...when they don't play your song."

:pac:

haha, man, i was there basically every single thursday that i was in the country and not working (and i usually finished my working week on wednesdays), and even when i was working starting 10pm on thursdays, i got in there for about 4hrs before heading off to work... mate bought me a fibbers tshirt when i moved away, which i thought was really sweet, it doesnt fit, but it is hung in a place of pride over the bed.

haha, man, i was there basically every single thursday that i was in the country and not working (and i usually finished my working week on wednesdays), and even when i was working starting 10pm on thursdays, i got in there for about 4hrs before heading off to work... mate bought me a fibbers tshirt when i moved away, which i thought was really sweet, it doesnt fit, but it is hung in a place of pride over the bed.

I was given one of those t-shirts too. I don't ever wear it. I don't feel I have to publicly announce that I drink there. If I did that I'd have to buy a t-shirt for every place I've ever drank in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I was given one of those t-shirts too. I don't ever wear it. I don't feel I have to publicly announce that I drink there. If I did that I'd have to buy a t-shirt for every place I've ever drank in. :)

And one would be wary of admitting they liked Fibbers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Bruxelles lost it's identity when metal took off again a few years back.
    It's not the same small crowd, or the same music for that matter.
    Much better place pre-smoking ban.

And one would be wary of admitting they liked Fibbers. :pac:

I don't mind it. It's a fantastic place for new metal bands to play. They often hold some great gigs in there too. Not just a drinking hole.... but a hole were gigs and drinking are combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

kowloon wrote: »
    Bruxelles lost it's identity when metal took off again a few years back.
    It's not the same small crowd, or the same music for that matter.
    Much better place pre-smoking ban.

While i still like bruxelles i've found lately i spend more time up on the street smoking and talking music with people than downstairs trying to talk over the sounds!

Aw, that's really sweet:) ...yeah, I would miss the auld place , alright. Then I havn't really been to rock bars in other countries so I can't compare Fibber's with other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Fibbers is far better, bruxelles is just boring and the music sucks.

You dont get bruxelles playing Motley Crue or WASP over the course of the night, i find fibbers to be a better mix of tunes, although the live acts are all cookie monster crap, they should get a better mix of acts.
    Also my indie mates go bruxelles, they didnt last 1hr in fibbers:D:D:D

Bruxelles is heading towards Eamonn Dorans market.:o:o

Both places coud take a lesson from the Roxy in vancouver though ,thats a proper club with a house band playing covers all night!

well, the place is pretty close to my heart. had so many great nights there with great people, it's just one of those things. i don't wear the tshirt though, like i said, it's hanging up on my wall.
    Aw, that's really sweet:) ...yeah, I would miss the auld place , alright. Then I havn't really been to rock bars in other countries so I can't compare Fibber's with other places.

where im living now, there's a LOT less metallers, but a whole group of sub-genres/scenes that are almost non-existant in dublin... the dub, punk, crusty, skater and surfer scenes... gotten into the punk one a good bit since moving here, but generally don't have the funds (or the mates :o) to go out to pubs like i did back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

kona wrote: »

Not at all. Dorans doesn't seem to attract any metal heads any more. Sure they play dance and R&B now :eek:
    I prefer Bruxelles to Fibbers.....but have ended up in Fibbers a lot recently as a lot of my friends don't like Bruxelles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

kona wrote: »

No way! Granted Dorans hasn't been the same for years, there's no way Bruxelles is even remotely near that direction!
    Both places coud take a lesson from the Roxy in vancouver though ,thats a proper club with a house band playing covers all night!

Only there the once when I lived in Edmonton a while back and we went there for a weekend. Was entertaining enough, but at the same time, I could live without dodgy cover bands night in and night out. I'll go to Karaoke bars if i want to hear iffy covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Cathy666 wrote: »
    I prefer Bruxelles to Fibbers.....but have ended up in Fibbers a lot recently as a lot of my friends don't like Bruxelles.

Well did ye but yer man that pint yet??:D

Passenger wrote: »

Lol! Passenger ain't gonna let this one drop, are ya?
    The soap opera continues!

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    Nope. Turns out he wasn't quite as nice as I thought. He seemed to think he was God's gift. But you witnessed the rest of that story last night :D
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Lol! Passenger ain't gonna let this one drop, are ya?
    The soap opera continues!
    And concludes as an epic fail with respect to that guy. :p

Nope. Turns out he wasn't quite as nice as I thought. He seemed to think he was God's gift. But you witnessed the rest of that story last night :D

And concludes as an epic fail with respect to that guy. :p

Aw man, the good sh*t always happens when I'm not in the damn bar. :(

Aw man, the good sh*t always happens when I'm not in the damn bar. :(

If you're not in, you can't win :p
    By the way, once you're finished your exams, we're going to Bruxelles. :pac:

If you're not in, you can't win :p
    By the way, once you're finished your exams, we're going to Bruxelles. :pac:

Hah, I was there on AC/DC night, where were you?! :)
    Sounds like a plan though, be warned, i'm off alcohol as of a week ago, which means i'm actually worse, lol. ;)

Hah, I was there on AC/DC night, where were you?! :)
    Sounds like a plan though, be warned, i'm off alcohol as of a week ago, which means i'm actually worse, lol. ;)

I had to pay my ESB and car insurance that weekend. So, unfortunately, that meant no Bruxelles for me :(
    Duly noted hahaha :D

I had to pay my ESB and car insurance that weekend. So, unfortunately, that meant no Bruxelles for me :(
    Duly noted hahaha :D

You missed nothing that weekend anyway, place was dead (although was starting to fill as I was leaving) but there were somewhat strange characters in the place at the beginning. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Richy165

My mates girlfriend calls the people who go to Fibbers and Bruxelles "Sewer People". I'm a metal fan but find both places intolerable, they can be nice but 99% of the time they are stuffed with ass holes, deluded weirdos who still live in 1987, trend kids (metal heads, sceners, emos, etc.), who are to metal music what pill head chavs are to dance music. But I will say that you can get a nice pint in Bruxelles and it's relatively clean, while Fibbers stinks of **** and the pints are rough on the guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Prefer Bruxelles for the music but tend go to Fibbers more for the metal gigs and cheaper drink.

Zerroth wrote: »
    Prefer Bruxelles for the music but tend go to Fibbers more for the metal gigs and cheaper drink.

Only be a matter of time before you realise that you get what you pay for.
    That said, Fibbers will always win out for the gigs part. One of the few places left for up and coming metal bands to play in Dublin, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I've only been to Bruxelles once, but I've been to Fibbers a load of times at this stage. Absolutely love the place, but I've only been there on Thursdays.

Advertisement