Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers or Bruxelles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 declanx

They are both great. I've been going to fibbers since it opened in 91 or 92 and Bruxelles since the 1990 world cup.
    Haven't been lately cause I moved to the US.

P.S. I was one the A**holes outside Bruxelles at the end of the night on a bike (DT125 RD125LC, CBR1000 and a Fireblade). Made some good friends over the years.
    So Fibbers or Bruxelles. Both I say. Does anybody remember Charlies or The China Man?

P.P.S I miss them both. Anybody got some pic's posted somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

declanx wrote: »
    They are both great. I've been going to fibbers since it opened in 91 or 92 and Bruxelles since the 1990 world cup.
    Haven't been lately cause I moved to the US.

P.S. I was one the A**holes outside Bruxelles at the end of the night on a bike (DT125 RD125LC, CBR1000 and a Fireblade). Made some good friends over the years.
    So Fibbers or Bruxelles. Both I say. Does anybody remember Charlies or The China Man?

P.P.S I miss them both. Anybody got some pic's posted somewhere?

I remember Charlies on Auinger St. It was another place for gigs for new bands too. Tiny stage, smaller bar and very awkward steps to get down from when pissed off your rocker.

Fibbers was a big hangout for me from 92-94 in particular. If you saw the name Spike (with the year beside it) written anywhere, then I'd left my mark.

Course, i was young and dumb then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Richy165 wrote: »
    My mates girlfriend calls the people who go to Fibbers and Bruxelles "Sewer People".

Charming.
    I'm a metal fan but find both places intolerable, they can be nice but 99% of the time they are stuffed with ass holes,

But you will find a certain percentage of ass holes in most clubs.
    deluded weirdos who still live in 1987, trend kids (metal heads, sceners, emos, etc.),

So there's both too many old people and too many kids?

I think it's pretty natural that people who are into metal music (the people you've listed there) would go to a place that plays that kind of music. And how do you know they're all just there because it's trendy?

And just because some people like music from a certain time or dress in that old-skool metal way, it doesn't mean they're deluded weirdos.
    who are to metal music what pill head chavs are to dance music.

:confused: Care to elaborate?

But I will say that you can get a nice pint in Bruxelles and it's relatively clean, while Fibbers stinks of **** and the pints are rough on the guts.

I'll give you that alright. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

My mates girlfriend calls the people who go to Fibbers and Bruxelles "Sewer People". .

Well Me and a bunch of my mates used to call yer mates girlfriend a "sewer slut".... because she was a rotten slut who was full of sh!t.

I go to fibbers, ****ing great place, great crowd. The only people worthy of "sewer people" are the opinionated little ****s who attend the likes of 21s or XXIs as they like to call it.

They wear fake nails, peroxide hair, fake tan, fake tits, fake eyebrows, fake just about everything?? then they call people with long hair and denim freaks??:D:D:D:eek:

Sorry but i think they should look in the mirror, they are worse than frankenstein. ****ing freaks.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Richy165

Well I wasn't looking for a Jacque Derrida style deconstruction there. I don't think that listening to music from a particular era is a bad thing, I was talking about the younger people who dress like it's 1987 who seem to think that they are on the Sunset Strip, this is Ireland, you look ridiculous.

http://www.edshawentertainment.com/artists3/metalboyz/images/mb_promo.jpg

The old cats in the denim are alright, at least they have the luxury of being able to say that they're stuck in their ways. Maybe I'm a little prudish because I come from a rural area where that sort of expression through what you wear is more subdued. Someone once told me that city people tend to have a "gimmick" as it's a lot more difficult to attain any sense of individualism in the city. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree, but it's an interesting thought.

Plus, I'd take what I say with a pinch of salt, I dislike everybody.

• Advertisement

Well I wasn't looking for a Jacque Derrida style deconstruction there. I don't think that listening to music from a particular era is a bad thing, I was talking about the younger people who dress like it's 1987 who seem to think that they are on the Sunset Strip, this is Ireland, you look ridiculous..
    my dear jesus you are deluded! Take a step back and ask yerself what mainstream fashion is influenced by?? Its MTV programmes set in Hollywood!
    Barbie dolls, abercrombie and fitch AMERICAN EAGLE...
    you can say the exact same thing about every other tom dick and harry who is more mainstream, all dressed like poxy californians(thats where sunset strip is:rolleyes:).

POT-KETTLE-BLACK

At least if you dress like your from 1987 you have the confidence to take abuse from opinionated ****s, are probably quite confident in yourself and possibly aint a dick.

Maybe if sombody is dressed like its 1987 they could be taking the piss, I dont believe anybody can take hairmetal style serious, however going out like that for the craic and winding up people like yourself is IMO worth it.

Does anybody have any leather pants, hairspray, cuffs, chains bandanas and well go piss off the rest of the country:pac:

So ****ing what if its Ireland?? If we all had your outlook wed all be dressed like a bunch of backwards gob****es in cardigans wellys and smelling of cow ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Richy165

I can't really say that I watch MTV or know anything about it, but I do know that even the counter cultural fashion trends adherto the same framework as those on MTV (or it's ilk). Essentially it's all an extension of the capitalist. Effectively meaning that there is no real divide between the "mainstream" and the "non mainstream" and those who consciously strive to be "different" are doing no such thing, they are only investing in a different part of the same structure, which is probably the saddest thing of all.

So I wouldn't say that I'm "deluded". Nor would I say that I'm a hypocrite. I, personally, don't buy name brand clothes because I can't afford to and I don't see the point of spending extra money on something that is really insignificant to me. I dress in a way that would probably be called "socially acceptable" but I don't think that makes me any kind of cultural drone. There is nothing wrong with fitting in.

And it's not a case of taking abuse or any of that sort of thing, nor does dressing in a purposefully outlandish way demonstrate any kind of self confidence that the general population lack. If I think that it looks ridiculous then that's to me, it doesn't make me any sort of enemy. You could go around smeared in your own s**t for all I care, doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean that I think less of the person, I have friends who dress in the full Black Metal uniform and I have no qualms with saying that they look - frankly - ridiculous. As long as I don't hit one of them with a brick then I'm entitled to think what ever I like. If I had my way everybody'd be walking around in matching jump suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

I like going to fibbers every now and then :D
    thursday is a great night for fibbers :cool:

Cathy666 wrote: »
    Not at all. Dorans doesn't seem to attract any metal heads any more. Sure they play dance and R&B now :eek:
    I prefer Bruxelles to Fibbers.....but have ended up in Fibbers a lot recently as a lot of my friends don't like Bruxelles.
    Hi cathy.
    im the guy that drags cathy to fibbers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

ianflynn wrote: »
    Hi cathy.
    im the guy that drags cathy to fibbers :p

Hahaha howdy Ian :D

• Advertisement

Hahaha howdy Ian :D
    fancy seeing you here hahaha

I can't really say that I watch MTV or know anything about it, but I do know that even the counter cultural fashion trends adherto the same framework as those on MTV (or it's ilk). Essentially it's all an extension of the capitalist. Effectively meaning that there is no real divide between the "mainstream" and the "non mainstream" and those who consciously strive to be "different" are doing no such thing, they are only investing in a different part of the same structure, which is probably the saddest thing of all.

So I wouldn't say that I'm "deluded". Nor would I say that I'm a hypocrite. I, personally, don't buy name brand clothes because I can't afford to and I don't see the point of spending extra money on something that is really insignificant to me. I dress in a way that would probably be called "socially acceptable" but I don't think that makes me any kind of cultural drone. There is nothing wrong with fitting in.

And it's not a case of taking abuse or any of that sort of thing, nor does dressing in a purposefully outlandish way demonstrate any kind of self confidence that the general population lack. If I think that it looks ridiculous then that's to me, it doesn't make me any sort of enemy. You could go around smeared in your own s**t for all I care, doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean that I think less of the person, I have friends who dress in the full Black Metal uniform and I have no qualms with saying that they look - frankly - ridiculous. As long as I don't hit one of them with a brick then I'm entitled to think what ever I like. If I had my way everybody'd be walking around in matching jump suits.

fair enough as you say your entitled to your opinion. Thats fine. I think scangers look stoopid so, each to their own.

But you have to say your first post doesnt come across well.:(

Calling sombody a sewer person most definatley isnt ok and smacks of some scaldy patronising insecure arsehole TBH. please tell your mates GF to cop the **** on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 declanx

I remember a goth girl called Dandelion used to do a DJ session in the mod bar in Bruxelles at the weekend. She was very good. Also the mod bar had quiet a bid of Ska on the dukebox. Nearist thing to a skinhead hang out after the china man on ship street closed. The Mods in mod bar where all cool people. Can't remember any names, but I remember the mod in the Ford Capri.

I am heading home to Dublin for 2 weeks holidays at the start of June. The grandparents are getting the kids, so if you see an old fart of a skinhead at the bar leering a pretty young girl: buy me a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Gaff metal sessions are the way of the future! :p

Zerroth wrote: »

You'd know you're a student :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

A bit off topic here, but can anyone confirm that fibbers is doing €2 drinks on a monday night? Or is someone talking out their a$$

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    A bit off topic here, but can anyone confirm that fibbers is doing €2 drinks on a monday night? Or is someone talking out their a$$

Yes they are. It's €10 in and €2 per drink :D

What time do they start charging in at, 7 or 8? 'Don't fancy paying in if it can be avoided.:)

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    What time do they start charging in at, 7 or 8? 'Don't fancy paying in if it can be avoided.:)

Lol, cheap ass! I don't know, but I'll try find out for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I know this is going off-topic but what's "gaff metal"? Is it just playing music in someone's house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

malice_ wrote: »
    I know this is going off-topic but what's "gaff metal"? Is it just playing music in someone's house?

Gaff-core for the win! :D

I think that's what he means, yeah. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

That DJ in Fibbers is definitely a piece of work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Ah Fibber's is the place to go, such a great buzz, great music, and oh yes, €3 drinks!! ;):D

For what its worth, they start charing in at 8 and I didn't have to pay in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

malice_ wrote: »

As well as a group of people and boozing it up.

As well as a group of people and boozing it up.

Speaking of which, roll on Saturday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

They're both cavernous holes. It all depends on what kind of hole you're entertained by. Bruxelles is far too loud and tense. At least in Fibber's, one can move to and from different areas. Whatever it is, about my mindset, I enjoy not seeing everything a place has to offer initially. Just make sure you're going in with a good group.

They're both cavernous holes. It all depends on what kind of hole you're entertained by. Bruxelles is far too loud and tense. At least in Fibber's, one can move to and from different areas. Whatever it is, about my mindset, I enjoy not seeing everything a place has to offer initially. Just make sure you're going in with a good group.

How old are you, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

How old are you, as a matter of interest?

I was just thinking thinking this myself, this dude sounds old.
    And nobody knows old, like I knows old. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I went to Fibbers for the first time last night with a mate. Have to say the people were as sound as **** and I couldn't see an emo anywhere. :pac:

Next thursday fer sure!

Advertisement