Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling your photos

• 04-08-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, i was just wondering whats the story with selling photos? Ive seen a lot of comments form people saying that they sell a lot of their stuff and this helps to fund the never ending lust to buy new lenses etc. But, being new to the scene, i wanted to know how you sell the shots, to whom, and are they sold as physical or digital formats? Also how much do they sell for?

Cheers

Kieran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I have had mine on a stock website for nearly a year.
    Still waiting to sell one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've sold some prints , and I've also sold digital images - website usage, press usage and such.

No major money, but bits and pieces.

All depends on what the customer will want. I wouldn't sell a digital image to an end customer (person), but only to a company/paper/sports team. It depends on the deal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

There are sites out there that let you sell prints while handling all the logistics but I don't know if they are any good (or if there are any Irish ones) but you could check out sites like redbubble.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

vipireland.com will sell pics of celebs/events etc but they take 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Sold a grand total of 7 prints off my website so far. They were through people enquiring about certain shots rather than through a web check out thing though.

It's not something that overly bothers me to be honest and considering the amount of work I put into the site (all of a couple of days) if I never sold a print I couldn't complain.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    if I never sold a print I couldn't complain.

I'm in the same boat. I don't do it for the money, nor the "fame". :D I just take photos because I enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I do it for the chicks. That's why I'm so desperate now :pac:

Oh, and I never sold a thing through Red Bubble either.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Guys, i was wondering is it easy to sell sport pics to irish papers of irish sporting events ? to do this do you need to go through an agency ?

Some papers will only accept images if they assign you to cover the event. Some papers will accept freelance submissions, and some papers will only use agency images.

There is no set rule, and differs from paper to paper.

It may also depend on the event, and the coverage that event has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Hi,

I was thinking of getting some photos printed onto Canvas and then potentially selling them on Ebay. I had a look today and some people are charging a shocking amount of money for canvas prints that are not even their photos!

Have anyone considered using Ebay to sell their prints?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

cheerspal wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking of getting some photos printed onto Canvas and then potentially selling them on Ebay. I had a look today and some people are charging a shocking amount of money for canvas prints that are not even their photos!

Have anyone considered using Ebay to sell their prints?

Cheers.

Dont get them done on canvas. Just show the pic and state it's on canvas. If it sells then get it done. No point getting it printed on canvas if it doesnt sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

NeVeR wrote: »
    Dont get them done on canvas. Just show the pic and state it's on canvas. If it sells then get it done. No point getting it printed on canvas if it doesnt sell.

Interesting must look into this! Wheres the cheapest place to get canvas done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I manage by getting the work first, i.e. I get the job of taking the photographs first so that takes care of the sales.

Personal work is a little more difficult, mainly word of mouth. Have never had a query from my website (not that is geared for selling or advertising prints in the first place).

So for me it is self promotion and word of mouth.

As for canvas... A cheap canvas is usually that. I've not got any done myself mainly because any examples I've seen would not encourage me to get one as there is mainly something a little dull and lacking vibrance about the examples I've seen. But that's probably me being over critical I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i agree

cheap canvas is generally not white, so you get a colour to your image

and also the work involved in the stretching does take time so someone who does if very cheap, you will generally find their finish isnt great

more importanly though if cheap canvas doesnt have longevity, if you sell a print to someone its hard work expaining why after a couple of years its faded!!!!

its not worth the grief using cheap setups for this kind of stuff, it will cost you in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Might give this a go.

I have used Updone.com a few times and have been pretty happy with the results. I think I will try and sell a current canvas print I have in the house for X amount and take it from there.

If people want it they buy it, if they don't I will stick it back up onto the wall.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SiDay

Hi

At the risk of offending the moderators who do not like business being carried out here. I am just about to launch a website (within the next couple of weeks) which will allow users to upload their own photos and set the price that they want. I will simply add my printing and admin costs - but you will get the price that you want.

For more details message me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

SiDay wrote: »
    Hi

At the risk of offending the moderators who do not like business being carried out here. I am just about to launch a website (within the next couple of weeks) which will allow users to upload their own photos and set the price that they want. I will simply add my printing and admin costs - but you will get the price that you want.

For more details message me.

Nothing wrong with a posting like that on topic & helpful to the thrust of the thread. If it were blatant advertising then we have a problem, as it's against Boards policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I actually sold my 1st print just a few days ago and i used Ebay, a friend of mine is using etsy.com to sell his pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This site is well run and friendly:

http://fotopic.net/

I only have a hobbyists account so do not know how reliable it is for professional work and marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Sorry I am pulling this thread out of the past, but I think its much better than starting a new one.

So moving on from the Original Post I was just wondering what the drill would be if you came across an incident/news story on your daily travels and you took some shots. How would you go about seling them to newspapers??? News Channels??? Now I understand that newspapers will have their own photographers out as soon as they hear about it, but what if you just cought that really important "developing moment" shot which would be sought after??? Do you need to go through an agency for this sort of stuff??? Or do you need to be a freelance photographer thats registered with a news company??? Or is it just email the pics in???

Has anyone done this on previous occasions??? What are the chances of making money from the shot??? And what would the average return be???

This is just something I thought about today, nothing really behind it.

Thanks,
    mcgowaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Someone recently took shots of the fallen gantry on the M50 I think... the thread is around here someplace. and I think he just phoned the some of the national papers and said 'Hey I have some interseting shots, of ... would you be interesting' Now I'm sure the conversation was a little more more professional but if it should ever happen and it's news worthy I don't think you'll need to be registered with the NUJ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I was sent an email recently with this link, I don't know how good it is but it might be worth a look. One reservation that I would have is that if the site is too big individuals might get a bit lost in the vastness of it and their work might not get found. I suppose, though, that if you had stuff on it then you could promote links to your portfolio on it and direct traffic to it as often as you get the opportunity.

http://fineartamerica.com/sell-photos-online.html?utm_source=photojojo&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=logo&utm_campaign=photojojoadvertisement

Advertisement