Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like an extra friend?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Ok, I cant believe im writing this but anyway, i thought i would give it a go. How sad am i? Im looking to make some friends around galway. Im 25 and i have lost contact with school/college friends. They've all moved away and i have no one to go out and have fun with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

You won't have too much trouble making friends around Galway. There's boards beers organised every few weeks which I'm sure are a laugh. I think there's a reading club. Some of the regulars here are in it. I'm sure newbies are always more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yup, come for beers (altho Im yet to make it!)..are you in college? there could be societies youre interested in. If not, there are loads of social activities around galway once you know what your hobbies are..or volunteer. Always a good way to make friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

lisajane wrote: »
    Ok, I cant believe im writing this but anyway, i thought i would give it a go. How sad am i? Im looking to make some friends around galway. Im 25 and i have lost contact with school/college friends. They've all moved away and i have no one to go out and have fun with.

Been there, Done that.

My mates all fecked off starting families and moving to obscure places like Melbourne and Tuam when I was 28 and I was left holding the fort. I eventually got my sh!t together and got on with my life. I forced myself to meet new people and a chance introduction to a person in Busker Brownes led me to a whole new circle of friends. I still keep in contact with my old mates (some of whom are divorced now).

Good on ya for posting this message. I'm an old married man now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

ya well done on posting the message lisajane. took guts. i'm young (in theory) and 22 but I've often thought about doing something similiar...maybe. hope it works for ya. and if you're looking for drinking buddies then i'll go out with anyone who's buying :)

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Been there, Done that.

My mates all fecked off starting families and moving to obscure places like Melbourne and Tuam when I was 28 and I was left holding the fort. I eventually got my sh!t together and got on with my life. I forced myself to meet new people and a chance introduction to a person in Busker Brownes led me to a whole new circle of friends. I still keep in contact with my old mates (some of whom are divorced now).

Good on ya for posting this message. I'm an old married man now :D
    I am a combination of this + the OP but throw in a few years of living abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

fatgav wrote: »
    i'll go out with anyone who's buying :)
    Very nice :D. But seriously I'm sure everyone will have a great time at the beers and it's a good chance for the town's new comers and locals alike to all get to know each other better (and down a few pints in the process). I'll probably go myself even though I haven't gone before. So, there you go...you've probably made 2 or 3 friends here already :) All the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭coillcam

Hey Lisajayne, I'll tell you what I'm moving up to Galway again as we speak, job interview tomorrow so fingers crossed, I'm male, 22 and I'll be pullin my a mate of mine and his GF and poss 1 or 2 others very soon for a night out when I move up and your more than welcome to join us....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

useless without pics innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I'm moving back to Galway after pretty long break. Most of people I knew just left, no contact with those who still stay in the town. So I'm gonna be in pretty similar situation as you lisajane. But I also know how easy is making friends in Galway so I'm not afraid about it that much.

There's no better people here in Ireland than people of Galway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pics??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

DRakE wrote: »
    useless without pics innit

pretty much. or dimensions even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

turf wrote: »
    pretty much. or dimensions even.

Pics or dimensions? Why pics, does it matter what i look like? Im not fat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aidanco

Lisajane you will have no problem hooking up with people in Galway having been born and raised there, it's not like Dublin where it's an effort to meet people even if you are not college but i assume you might be, NUIG and GMIT will be both in full swing by mid september which means a massive influx of 10,000 students plus where by there is always something going on. No harm also to check out the night courses in GMIT if you are not in college they are cheap and it's a really good way to meet people :) Trust me Dublin is alot harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hey check out the book club, we meet every second tuesday in Bar No. 8, there's a diverse set of people there and everyone is quite nice. I think there's a meeting tonight, but I won't make it cause my lazy ass didn't read the book. The one for two weeks time is 'Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town' by Stephen Lealock.

Also check out the link in my sig to keep up to date with what's happening.

Oh yeah... and drake is my own personal jesus christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hey check out the book club, we meet every second tuesday in Bar No. 8, there's a diverse set of people there and everyone is quite nice. I think there's a meeting tonight, but I won't make it cause my lazy ass didn't read the book. The one for two weeks time is 'Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town' by Stephen Lealock.

Also check out the link in my sig to keep up to date with what's happening.

Oh yeah... and drake is my own personal jesus christ.

Even if you haven't read the book LisaJane (which is The Poor Mouth by Flann O'Brien) come along anyway. See what you think. It's very relaxed and easy-going and the other members, some of whom are very new are chatty and very friendly. You are more than welcome :)

oh yeah everyone, bookClub meeting this evening at 8 in Bar No. 8.

See ye then

oh yeah everyone, bookClub meeting this evening at 8 in Bar No. 8.

See ye then

Is that the place on the Docks? Do ye get hookers afterwards? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Hiya Lisajane,

You'll have no bother meeting people in Galway, its the place for it.

BUT PM me if you fancy a drink or coffee sometime, I know it can be tough to be on your own in a strange place!!

Cheers!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

love who it's us guys who are all desperate for a new female friend! lol

Pics or dimensions? Why pics, does it matter what i look like? Im not fat anyway.
    no ones gonna befriend a munter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't mind Drake, I believe he represents the shallow end of the gene pool...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Don't mind Drake, I believe he represents the shallow end of the gene pool...
    With the excessive chlorine and child piss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I know the feeling, all of my circle of friends have either got coupled up and started families, or moved too far away for me to see them regularly...
    Pretty much only got 1 mate left now, apart from people from work:o

I'm moving to London soon though, so will have to force myself to make new friends... Scary thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Don't worry it's just a running boards joke :p
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pics%20or%20gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm moving to Galway in a month's time and I'm terrified. I moved to Sligo last year from Canada and uh..... well a combination of situations caused me to make almost no friends. But I'm 22, female, married (I know, young, but I'm not a religious nutter and it wasn't a shotgun affair) nice, and funny, and animals love me (imo they're better judges of character than most humans)

...anyone want to be my friend?

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm moving to Galway in a month's time and I'm terrified. I moved to Sligo last year from Canada and uh..... well a combination of situations caused me to make almost no friends. But I'm 22, female, married (I know, young, but I'm not a religious nutter and it wasn't a shotgun affair) nice, and funny, and animals love me (imo they're better judges of character than most humans)

You're used goods AND you lived in Sligo .... GTFO!

Well, pics and then gtfo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

:(

ah was only jokin :P i think clubs and new hobbies are ur best bet.. i kno that'll be my buzz after my college friends all seperate out. what about work mates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

turf wrote: »
    ah was only jokin :P i think clubs and new hobbies are ur best bet.. i kno that'll be my buzz after my college friends all seperate out. what about work mates?

I work with people in their 40s and 50s. I wouldn't ever consider goin out with boggery hags.

I wouldn't mind the book club idea but, i work on tuesday evenings. My working hours might change in september so il consider that idea then.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You're used goods AND you lived in Sligo .... GTFO!

Well, pics and then gtfo :p
    I like the cut of this particular jib.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »

wud ur husband mind a lil 20 year old callin round talkin bout music and shoes? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement