Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hit and Miss is putting it politely.

Its not a hit (more like sh1t if you ask me) with the public and its just a mess as opposed to a Miss.
    Don't trust them............chase the feckers, and kick their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

However the nice girl (and to be fair she was very pleasant) registered me there and then for a video account. I've since used the M50 on 5 occasions and have not received any bill on my credit card.
    You can login under your account and see any transactions (as they call them) that have been logged for your registration number. They do seem to take quite a long time to actually get around to billing you, but if your car was logged going through the toll they should show up there at least. They're logged with the date and time so you can check them to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi lads sorry this has prob already been answered but at 1000 posts i'd be searching all day...

Curiousity more than anything, but what's the story with foreign reg cars driving through the toll?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi lads sorry this has prob already been answered but at 1000 posts i'd be searching all day...

Curiousity more than anything, but what's the story with foreign reg cars driving through the toll?

They go free as they can't pin the charge on them.....great system ehhhhh, and ohhh, and uk and NI reg cars go free too.:P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They go free as they can't pin the charge on them.....great system ehhhhh, and ohhh, and uk and NI reg cars go free too.:P
    Are UK/NI registered cars not foreign cars anymore? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They sure are foreign cars.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They sure are foreign cars.
    I know (I was trying to be sarcastic)!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

I passed M50 one night and my fault I completely forgot to pay it within 48 hours. As soon as I remembered I paid through online on last Monday night with €3 and I remembered there was a problem on the 1st time I made the payment then I logged back in to pay again and went through OK. Thursday I received a penalty letter with €3 and total made up €6, when I logged in to the account and tried to cleared the balance however wouldn't let me just pay the €3. so Last Friday afternoon, before I rang eflow I logged on to my credit card account and found out 2*€3 was taken by eflow and also made up €6, so I rang eflow straight away and the girl told me they have only received €3 and ask me to fax the credit card statement, so I did. The problem is the letter said I have to pay within 14 days, otherwise I will have to pay more penalty. I don't know how long will take them to clear my account and the car is registered under my husband's name and I know it's only €3 but I just don't want to pay extra and I will keep ringing them to get it clear, I should just wait for the letter and paid in once!

kbannon wrote: »
    I know (I was trying to be sarcastic)!
    :cool:

trying badly too may i add:p:p
    lowest form of wit tho' ain't it. :D

I added the NI and Uk cars as some may assume there may be a possibility that some sort of database sharing would be in place between the 2 states, but then for eflow - that would be too much to ask.

I passed M50 one night and my fault I completely forgot to pay it within 48 hours. As soon as I remembered I paid through online on last Monday night with €3 and I remembered there was a problem on the 1st time I made the payment then I logged back in to pay again and went through OK. Thursday I received a penalty letter with €3 and total made up €6, when I logged in to the account and tried to cleared the balance however wouldn't let me just pay the €3. so Last Friday afternoon, before I rang eflow I logged on to my credit card account and found out 2*€3 was taken by eflow and also made up €6, so I rang eflow straight away and the girl told me they have only received €3 and ask me to fax the credit card statement, so I did. The problem is the letter said I have to pay within 14 days, otherwise I will have to pay more penalty. I don't know how long will take them to clear my account and the car is registered under my husband's name and I know it's only €3 but I just don't want to pay extra and I will keep ringing them to get it clear, I should just wait for the letter and paid in once!

I think ringing them is no good and you have no record of contact. Write, email or fax them - and keep copies etc.

• Advertisement

I added the NI and Uk cars as some may assume there may be a possibility that some sort of database sharing would be in place between the 2 states, but then for eflow - that would be too much to ask.
    There is no official sharing of databases between the two police forces just yet - give it a year or two

There is no official sharing of databases between the two police forces just yet - give it a year or two

ermmm ....yeah..........the pedanticness of this forum rolls on......

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

I think ringing them is no good and you have no record of contact. Write, email or fax them - and keep copies etc.

Yeah! you're right! I have kept my copy of the fax receipts and Rang them again today they told me they didn't get my fax but they said they left a 2nd notes on my account. I have asked the rep's name too.

ermmm ....yeah..........the pedanticness of this forum rolls on......
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So seriously? Ni and Uk regged cars go free at the moment???

There was a post a while back which claimed that you couldn't pay for a NI registered car in the payzone outlets - can anyone confirm?

Correct. My UK based folks were unable to pay when they visited me recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was talking to someone the other day who had a german registered vehicle on demo in Ireland for a short while. An eFlow notice (in German) turned up at their corporate headquaters so was forwarded on to the Irish office for payment.

Whether any further action would be taken is questionable, but it looks like foreign registered cars are being picked up by the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

R.O.R wrote: »
    I was talking to someone the other day who had a german registered vehicle on demo in Ireland for a short while. An eFlow notice (in German) turned up at their corporate headquaters so was forwarded on to the Irish office for payment.

Whether any further action would be taken is questionable, but it looks like foreign registered cars are being picked up by the system.
    File straight into the recycle bin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Sizzler wrote: »
    File straight into the recycle bin :)

That was my suggestion too ;)

We are just filing all the ones we get in work, must be 1000+ at this stage :eek:

Anyone any suggestions what to do with many, unopened, white A5 size envelopes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭strongback

I received the Pierse & Fitzgibbon solicitors letter relating to non payment of a toll/penalties which was dated 13 February 2009.

I am wondering has anyone who received the letter from the solicitor been contacted or received a summons.

No reported cases so far.

I'd be keen to known if ANY summons have been issued. Wonder would an FOI tell more?

An FOI would tell all.

A word of warning don't ring them and ask them about FOI as they will say they won't release any information. Just go ahead and FOI them in writing enclosing the 15 euro fee. It will be the NRA that you are asking btw.

They must release the information unless there is some compelling reason not to. They must answer to the information commissioner if they don't comply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

strongback wrote: »
    I received the Pierse & Fitzgibbon solicitors letter relating to non payment of a toll/penalties which was dated 13 February 2009.

I am wondering has anyone who received the letter from the solicitor been contacted or received a summons.

I got 2 today. I have an account with eflow. I was refused to talk with a supervisor when I called eflow. Can I sue them for stress @ this stage ( lol) & can I sue for my solicitors costs. I certainly am not paying €292 when I have a tag on my car, when the staff havent a clue what they are talking about & when I am fit to lose the plot if I have to ring them again. 27 minutes talking to a big brick wall again. Anyone any advice ?

Ignore them. They won't go to court. Why waste your time on them when they can't win?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

Hi Everyone, can anyone offer me advice on what to do. My OH used my car on 13/12/08 and went through the M50. Between the jiggs and reels he forget to tell me. Yesterday when I got home from work, I had a Solicitors letter waiting for me giving me 7 days to pay €146.00. Broken down as follows: €3 toll, €3 STR, €40.00 Unpaid Toll Notice, €100 Toll Violation Notice. The thing is, up until yesterday evening, I didn't even know my car had gone through the M50. I don't dispute paying the toll fees but I refuse to pay notice fees for notices that I never received. I email the Solrs stating this, I also faxed them and rang them this morning. To say a monkey on the other end of the phone would have made more sense in an understatement. She insisteted Eflow wrote to me serveal times billing me and sending me notices, I honestly never recieved any letters from Eflow, yesterday's letter from the Solrs for the first. When I was talking (very loudly so she could hear me), I noticed the Solrs had my address wrong, they had left out the "Avenue" part. I pointed this out and she said this is the address the NRA have for me. I said this would explain why I hadn't received the other letters, they obviously went to another house in our estate as it didn't specify the correct address. She said this was not her problem and I'm liable to pay. My view is there is no way I'm going to pay. I've asked them to invoice me for the journey made as that is all I'm paying. I don't think their case would stand up in Court as they served the wrong person with the Notices, does anyone have any opinions?

Well Mary, I feel your pain. They are muppets of the highest order.
    You could write the solicitors a cheque for €3 and a letter reiterating that your happy to pay the toll but not for charges etc if they had your address wrong. And you could Call their bluff and then tell them to issue proceedings if they are soooooooooooooo sure of winning a case against you when clearly you have good grounds to argue in a court situation, which will never really happen anyways. Tell them also that as far as you're concerned the matter is closed and demand correspondance from them in return confirming the matter is closed.
    If it were me (and this ain't any advice) but I'd write to them stating the above, enclose a cheque and see if it is debited from your a/c.
    Thats my thoughts.

• Advertisement

I would agree 100%.

Send them the cheque for €3 and see if they cash it. Do not engage with them any further.

They don't use registered post and that will be their downfall.

That's for the reply, Think I might send them off a letter tonight with a cheque of €6 to cover the charges and also to state in writing that because they have my wrong address I was never served with the notices. In case anyone else comes across this situation, a solicitor friend of mine has told me they wouldn't legally be able to proscute in Court, they have to prove service first and also have to prove they have the correct address. He said Eflow won't instruct their Solicitors to proceed any further on this basis cos it will only run up costs for them.

Even legal people agree with us. Eflow won't sue anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Mary, even in the worst case scenario, the fact they got your address wrong throws all their other evidence into doubt, making it unlikely for them to try anything further.

I'd advise anyone not to contact the nra's solicitors. If you beieve you owe them anything post a cheque to the nra at st martin's House, Waterloo road Dublin4. But only for 3 euros as that is the price advertised on the signs.

do not waste your time with the people across the border in Newry. They are so incompetent they don't even work for the civil service.

Don't send them a cent more than €3.00.

Mary D wrote: »
    I noticed the Solrs had my address wrong, they had left out the "Avenue" part. I pointed this out and she said this is the address the NRA have for me. I said this would explain why I hadn't received the other letters, they obviously went to another house in our estate as it didn't specify the correct address. She said this was not her problem and I'm liable to pay.
    They got your address wrong when (allegedly) you were sent letters. Somehow they imply its your problem?

Stop wasting your time with eflow and their solicitors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

I think I might just cancel my tolltag account wander freely across the M50, seems everyone is getting away with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

fletch wrote: »
    I think I might just cancel my tolltag account wander freely across the M50, seems everyone is getting away with it :)

I was thinking about it yesterday, but I was just going to take the tag off all together and when I get the letters ignore them.

Thanks everyone, I've sent them a letter today (by registered post) with a cheque for €6 (an extra fee of €3 because the toll wasn't paid on the day). I told them I am happy to pay for usage of the M-50 but said that since they had my address wrong, I was never served with late notices so I can't be held liable to pay them. I have asked them to confirm that this is the end of the matter. If I get any more non-sense letters from them my friend I mentioned earlier said he would take over the case and send them back a Solicitors letter. He said again they don't have a leg to stand on.

Mary D wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I've sent them a letter today (by registered post) with a cheque for €6 (an extra fee of €3 because the toll wasn't paid on the day). I told them I am happy to pay for usage of the M-50 but said that since they had my address wrong, I was never served with late notices so I can't be held liable to pay them. I have asked them to confirm that this is the end of the matter. If I get any more non-sense letters from them my friend I mentioned earlier said he would take over the case and send them back a Solicitors letter. He said again they don't have a leg to stand on.

Sweet. Rest assured Mary, that'll be the end of it. They are a bunch of POX BOTTLES!

fletch wrote: »
    everyone is getting away with it except those who haven't used the bridge :D

(mind you they still haven't sent me a fine- its not good enough - how long do I have to refuse to use the bridge for before I get fined?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

everyone is getting away with it except those who haven't used the bridge :D

(mind you they still haven't sent me a fine- its not good enough - how long do I have to refuse to use the bridge for before I get fined?)

You have just made an excellent point here. Since they are clearly unable to collect tolls from those who have used the bridge, maybe they should abandon that and simply charge everyone who hasn't. The income would be much greater and it wouldn't need tags or cameras. Since the number of people who don't use it must be vastly greater than those who do, the times when any of them actually use it would be insignificant by comparison:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

Hi everyone,

I have just read the full 1,000 and whatever posts in this thread and its interesting that the first many hundered are all about teething problems etc and the last few are more 'serious' solicitor type querys. So can I add one and look for some advice:

I took two trips on M50 (first and last) in December and didnt pay my toll within the 48hours. When I remembered I went to website and imputted my reg in (what I thought was) the main/only casual use payment section. 2 trips. It quoted me €6. Pefect and I paid. Thought no more.

About a week later got 2 letters for the trips saying I owe €6 for each for unpaid tolls. I had heard about the teething problems so (stupidly) assumed the payment hadnt been processed by the time the letter was issued so I ignored them. (I would say I stupidly ignored them but a lot of poepl seem to be doing that!).

Two weeks or so later I got another two relating to my trips saying I owed €46 each. That spurred me into action and I ranf e-flow, told them my stroy and girl in the call centre and when I said I have the transaction on my Lasercard statement she said sorry there was/must have been a problem. She then said she would 'put a note with these UTNs' to say that I had rang up to sort it out and it was cleared. I made her promise to do this as I didnt want more letters..

So low and behold, a week ago I got the 2 dreaded solicitors letters from our Kerry friends saying the usual: you owe €146 (times2), non payment will be taken to court, found guilty, stubbs gazette, never be able to get some credit again! So I didnt freak out because I have my trusty payment done and on my Lasercard.

Got onto the people working for/with the solicitors/e-flow (dunno what the combination is at this stage) and lady said she would look into it. Perfect. Then she rang back 2 days later (takes 48 hours for e-flow to release the details even though the people at e-flow said that once its handed to the solicitors they dont 'own' that info anymore) to say that by the time I had paid this €6 I actually owed €12 as it was beyond the 48 hour deadline and that I had paid the toll in the wrong section (should have been under pay a penalty tab). Frick. So I calmly said I had rang the e-flow centre to query the letters alright and that the girl didnt bring any problem to my attention at that time. Off to investigate that. No record of that on my 'profile' or whatever. I told her the exact time/date and call duration of this call from my online call history but said I couldnt remember the girls name and I (stupidly) didnt ask for written confirmation that I was in the clear. Rings back to day there is no evidence of this call happening and when I tell ehr I have it in my call history she says that I could have been on hold that entire time, that proves nothing. Each tim, at the end of the voicemail that the leave me (im always the one ringing them back) they end the call with 'so your notices still stand'. Never missing an opportnity to mention that I will be brought to court, stubbs gazette, credit rating kaput. This last call happned on Friday when I was out foreign on hols and I was getting angry. I said I had paid that €6 in good faith and assuming if the system tells me €6 when I put in my reg number. Said I had tried and in my opinion suceeded in rectifying the situation and just because e-flow cant find a record of my call, does not mean it didnt happen. She said I have to prove myself innocent, thats not e-flows problem. I asked her by the way what happened to that €6 I did pay-it seems to have just gone into thin air and be related to no trups at all. he cheeky mare said they would refund me that €6 but the fines still stand. I told her I am not letting it lie, no way. And she said ring back today which I didnt do yet.

Since then I have been freaking the bean that I will be taken to court! I can see now what I did wrong when paying originally but is it my fault the system doesnt connect the reg imputted in one section to the pay a penalty section (probably)? But only the letters alerted me to the problem but the subsequent phonecall to the centre didnt and she said I was ok. It has really upset me. Im young and while I can scrounge up the €146*2 Im now feeling so bullied and threatened Im considering legal advice and going to court (if they take me).

I have read a few previous posts who have argued with the solicitors but what has happened? ANy outcomes? ANd I know people have said 'ignore the letters' but that hsant helped me. The FoI idea is interesting and I would do that, how is this possible.

Its bullyboy tactics and im sure many people have succumed regardless of their innosence when the words 'court' and 'credit rating' are mentioned.

All advice and reality checks are welcome and needed!

Ok please relax.

They cannot damage your credit rating or put you into stubbs unless they take you to court and they win and you then do not pay. You won't see anyone in stubbs for less than €1000. It is all mind games.

They will not take anyone to court as they will have a huge burden of proof to overcome. That is their problem and not yours.

You paid the money to eflow, matter closed. Leave them to make the next move.

Good advice there from Bond!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

More eFlow crap...

Made Northbound trip on 12th of a month, forgot to pay the €3. Hands up; I got letter(STR), that I don't dispute, for €6.

Proceeded to forget about STR [dated 14th] until 28th of same month. Now letter clearly states 'you must pay this within 14 days', so I thought, log onto site and pay €6, case closed.

The site was already looking for €46! :confused:

I screenshotted the page and highlighted the date so I can prove I logged onto the site within the timeframe specified on the STR and since the site would not accept a part payment I left it.

I rang eFlow, advised them that I have disputed the €40 fine, and paid the €6 (got payment number reference).

I have yet to hear anything further from them, but I am wondering if my reading of the STR is accurate, that when I logged onto the site on the 28th I was within the timeframe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

After forgetting to pay my toll on Saturday, I went on to pay the bigger toll, only to find out that you have to wait until you receive a letter before paying this. OK, so I'll wait and then pay the 6 euro, if and when the letter arrives.

Anyway, I've decided I'm not going through this crap again, so going to register a post-pay video account. What could be simpler, right? Wrong. That website sucks like a Dyson, i.e. loads. After putting in the details, I go to the payment section and it won't let me change the payment type from Laser to Credit card. I'm not paying by Laser, as there's no charge back facility, and I simply don't trust this shower of idiots with it.

Has anyone managed to set this up for post-pay with a credit card? If so, can I borrow your gun, or whatever it was you used to coerce them into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jor el wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to set this up for post-pay with a credit card? If so, can I borrow your gun, or whatever it was you used to coerce them into it?
    Yes, no problem at all.

jor el wrote: »
    I simply don't trust this shower of idiots with it

good call;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I figured it out. You click the radial button for "register a video account" then wait half an hour before the card type selector gets un-grayed out.

Still not inspiring confidence.

edit:
    And even less confidence
    We were unable to process your request for the following reason:
    Error occured. Please try again later.
    "Error occurred", how very helpful. Idiots.

They are a shower of Dingbats!

• Advertisement
Advertisement