Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bt throttling

Options
  • 04-08-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

ok, now for the 2nd month in a row ive been throttled by bt on the exact same day. now i know for a fact due to the way my systems are connected i havent downloaded more than 20 gig in the past 30 days (3mg connection and 30gig cap) and the bt "counter" says ive dl 15.91 gig since 2350 on the 3rd,.
    i know there dl limit is 100g a month befor throttling, are they just being fookwiths or have they started to clamp down on all downloaders.?

*fake edit, spellings crap sorry, cant be arsed fixin iteither

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Must be a mistake somewhere. Coincidently, I just had a look on their site tonight and noticed the 3/7.6/24Mb (depending on where you are) package now says it has unlimited upload/download, subject to FUP. So even that 30GB limit shouldn't apply any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭kaahooters

i actually rang them yesterday, aperantly, somone else was using my broadband login name and password (wtf) and leeching all my interwebs, so after about 5 min on the phone i found out that my download wasnt 16gig as the counter showed but 79 down and 8 up. :O

so im still throttled for the 48 hour "youve been bad and were spanking you" period.

so, i should be unthrottled by tomorrow, if not, yelling will ensue. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

someone was using your login details?

is that even possible?

just wondering a few things about this.

how would they get your details, who would be dumb enough to do it when they would also have to be a BT broadband customer with an easily traceable fixed phoneline.

and what time are you going round to their house to kick their a$$es?

edit: and did you change your password yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Kahless wrote: »
    Must be a mistake somewhere. Coincidently, I just had a look on their site tonight and noticed the 3/7.6/24Mb (depending on where you are) package now says it has unlimited upload/download, subject to FUP. So even that 30GB limit shouldn't apply any more.

That is not the case as I read it. Those people lucky enough to be able to avail of the up to 24mb package are free to download as much as they like, provided they don't go over an unspecified cap. The fair usage policy. Those less blessed still on the 3mb package are still open game for them to throttle at their pleasure. I bet whoever thought this system up will get a big bonus at the end of the year. Either that or he'll get the sack if enough people wise up and switch their accounts to another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

vibe666 wrote: »
    someone was using your login details?

is that even possible?

just wondering a few things about this.

how would they get your details, who would be dumb enough to do it when they would also have to be a BT broadband customer with an easily traceable fixed phoneline.

and what time are you going round to their house to kick their a$$es?

edit: and did you change your password yet?

I doubt they were using his DSL username and password (and yes it is possible if you login with those details on another bt enabled DSL line) but rather they hacked his weak WEP key on his router and were using his connection. It's his own fault for not securing the network properly to be honest and BT are within their rights to throttle the connection as whoever connects to his internal network is his own responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Blindpew wrote: »
    That is not the case as I read it. Those people lucky enough to be able to avail of the up to 24mb package are free to download as much as they like, provided they don't go over an unspecified cap. The fair usage policy. Those less blessed still on the 3mb package are still open game for them to throttle at their pleasure. I bet whoever thought this system up will get a big bonus at the end of the year. Either that or he'll get the sack if enough people wise up and switch their accounts to another provider.

The up to 24Mb package is the old 3Mb package, which is up to 7.6Mb for many now and up to 24 for the lucky ones. Their page clearly shows that whole package as being "Unlimited" with FUP. The 30GB limit has moved down to what used to be the 2Mb package, which is now 3Mb or 6Mb for some lucky people.

Advertisement