Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP v Vista

• 04-08-2008 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'd appreciate if you could give me some advice here - I've used a Latitude D600 for several years now with Windows XP. I've always found it solid and reliable - never a spot of bother with it. It's time to buy a new laptop and I'm going for another Latitude. I've used Windows since 1998 and would prefer not to use Vista. I've had a look at it a few times and I just do not like it. Man of the house here, Mr I.T. himself, thinks I should drag myself into the 00's and go for 1) a more modern laptop and 2) go with Vista. He says that in a very short time, I will not be able to get any software compatable with XP. I don't use much, Microsoft Excel is about as exciting as it gets, Microsoft Word (to his horror) and very little else. Any ideas? Which is best? Why does everything have to keep changing??

Oh, also, if any one knows where I can get a toe (however it's spelled) bar for a 97 Isuzu Wizard, Import, sloped back, without having to have one specially made, I would really really appreciate that too :rolleyes:

Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If all you use is Office I am bewildered why you think Vista is going to give you compatibility issues: get Vista 64-bit and be done with it. Theres nothing I've found I can't do in Vista that I could in XP - I've been using it for just over a year now, and still used XP at college.
    Oh, also, if any one knows where I can get a toe (however it's spelled) bar for a 97 Isuzu Wizard, Import, sloped back, without having to have one specially made, I would really really appreciate that too

Im a nerd not a grease monkey.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Mr. IT may very well be right, it depends a little on how long you want your laptop to last for.
    If you're talking 4 years or so, getting Vista would be sensible as they will stop making software work natively for XP in the next few years (how soon I don't know) though there might be work arounds by then. You could always install XP for now and change to Vista when you start finding that software isn't compatible.

On the other hand a laptop capable of properly running Vista(by properly i mean run Vista at more than a crawl) will cost a bit more than one capable of properly running XP. You could always buy a cheap laptop with XP(afterall your needs shouldn't require that powerful a system) and when in a couple of years you need a new one again you can then re-evaluate what you want/need OS and laptop power wise.

Things keep changing in all walks of life and there are as many answers to why as there are changes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

O K all of the above taken into account. Overheal, I don’t think Vista will give me compatibility issues, it’s using XP for the next three / four years, however long the new laptop lasts, I’m worried about.:( I hate Vista, HATE it. B-K-DzR, I so know what you mean by a laptop that runs Vista at more than a crawl – I’d have my old battered Latitude booted up, shut down and booted up again by the time Mr I.T. here has his booted up. I don’t have the patience for that. I’ll think I’ll go with XP as you say and if I come up against a wall at some stage (it would want to be one huuuuuge wall though) I can always change. Thanks a mil guys.

Advertisement