Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Wateford Drive

• 05-08-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Have to be down in Waterford for 9 next monday morning and live in Drumcondra so straight onto the M50 what time would you leave at or how long would it take to get there(you know giving it enough socks)

Plus on the way back whats the best route and time you think it should take.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you've to be down for 9, I'd be leaving at 7 - If not a few minutes earlier - You'll be hitting some traffic on the way down I'm sure.

Generally, it's a 2 1/2 to 3 hour run, depending on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

Generally it takes me about three hours to get from Waterford to the very end of the m50 (exit 3) when traffic is light. I'd leave no later than 6am if I were you. Take exit 9 off the m50 and follow the N7->M7->M9->N9 route. The Carlow bypass is open, so at least you won't hit a bottleneck there. You may hit some traffic in South Kilkenny coming over the bridge to Waterford at that hour of the morning, as many people from Kilkenny work in Waterford.

The best route back is the way you came. The time it'll take will depend on the time of day and how many tractors/lorries/old biddies you get stuck behind going through Kilkenny. Aim for around 2.5-3 hours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

someone told me to head for wexford like to Eniscorthy onto New Ross then Waterford as the quickest route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

genegenie wrote: »
    Generally it takes me about three hours to get from Waterford to the very end of the m50 (exit 3) when traffic is light. I'd leave no later than 6am if I were you. Take exit 9 off the m50 and follow the N7->M7->M9->N9 route. The Carlow bypass is open, so at least you won't hit a bottleneck there. You may hit some traffic in South Kilkenny coming over the bridge to Waterford at that hour of the morning, as many people from Kilkenny work in Waterford.

The best route back is the way you came. The time it'll take will depend on the time of day and how many tractors/lorries/old biddies you get stuck behind going through Kilkenny. Aim for around 2.5-3 hours :)

Whooops! Meant to say 6, not 7!!!! Sorry!

If you're coming from Drumcondra at that hour of the morning, I'd be heading straight down to the quays, and heading out to the N7 - Traffic'll only be kicking off at that stage, you should fly through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

someone told me to head for wexford like to Eniscorthy onto New Ross then Waterford as the quickest route

Thats a good route, it is slightly longer, than the dublin, carlow, waterford road, but a much easier road to drive,
    virtually motorway and dual carraige way all the way down to not far outside Enniscorthy, then a not too great road,
    but overall much easier and more relaxing drive,
    I was driving this road on most sunday nights at 9pm and I was managing to get to waterford from the m50 toll in 2hrs 5mins.. so I would say on a normal evening 2.5 to 3 hours is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There's no avoiding jams at the bridge into the city at the time you'll be arriving I'm afraid. That could be the rock you perish on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A good way to get to Waterford, But if you are leaving Waterford anytime after 4 ish for the trip back to Dublin don't take this route The bridge in New Ross can and is a nightmare (very long tail backs )
    Take the Carlow route home thats my 2 cents

Advertisement