Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on Nokia 6120 from 3

• 05-08-2008 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Right, Meteor have screwed me over one time too many, and I'm jumping ship to 3 (ideally I'd love to go back to O2 but they're way too expensive on a student budget). I'm trying to decide between a 3 Skypephone and the Nokia 6120.

My personal preference is for the Nokia, however I remember reading somewhere that not all 3 phones that come with Skype can send Skype messages, only make calls. As I text a lot, I'd really need Skype texts. I could install Fring if needs be of course, but I'd rather use the free Skype app rather than pay for data.

Can anyone confirm please if what I read was total rubbish, or if it applies to the Nokia 6120? Can it send Skype messages as well as make calls via the included app?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

don't get the 6120, get the n73 instead there both the same price now, the n73 will do all the things you want, skype and fring both work the finest....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Thanks for the reply, the N73 doesn't seem to be available on 3 though. I'm going Pay Monthly and only interested in a free handset with a €19 price plan. 6120 looks perfect for me, I just need to know if Skype messages will work on 3's version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

It will. They just recently updated the skype symbian client for version 2 which supports text chat. Probably you have to upgrade the skype version in the phone via planet 3 first though.

Thanks flodis79, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

flodis79 wrote: »
    It will. They just recently updated the skype symbian client for version 2 which supports text chat. Probably you have to upgrade the skype version in the phone via planet 3 first though.

I'v tried this version of skype seems to work ok for chat with a bit of a delay. But there is some bug in it when you try to make a call a message saying "we couldn't connect your call, hang up and try again" pops up over and over I could only make a call maybe 1 in every 10/20 tries. Old one worked fine. Also the Audio alert for a new message does not work.....

• Advertisement

Need to set the record straight here for my conscience's sake: Meteor pulled through for me in the end. I'm sticking with what I had. Thanks for all the help though! :)

Breezer wrote: »
    Need to set the record straight here for my conscience's sake: Meteor pulled through for me in the end. I'm sticking with what I had. Thanks for all the help though! :)

So tell us what happend:)
    tradition.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 korvin

Hi.

Got Nokia 6120 from Three Ireland. When I tried to download the Skype 2.0 from Planet3, it has failed to install with 'Update Error' message, I've uninstalled my existing Skype and tried again - with same result :( Now I've no Skype on my mobile and these bastards want me to send my mobile foor re-flashing (which takes circa 4 days and they do not give a replacement handset)...

Can anyone help me to find the version of Skype which will work for me?

Thanks in advance.

are the time and date correct on your phone, when tring to install skype..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

korvin: I can send you version of the symbian native skype client, pm me if you are interested. It might work, however there is no text chat in that version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 korvin

flodis79 wrote: »
    korvin: I can send you version of the symbian native skype client, pm me if you are interested. It might work, however there is no text chat in that version.

Thanks man! Already found the previous version here - thanks to GerryMoth.

By the way, my problem was solved only by the hard resetting the phone (copy contacts to memory card, dial *#7370#, Hold answer, 3 and * while powering on to reset all data).

All the data stored not on the memory card was lost, but I can install even the new Skype 2.0 here!

BTW, this Skype is pretty buggy... Why they don't hire professional test engineers?.. If something I'm testing was so buggy, I'd have strong objections against releasing it to millions of users..

Same with technical support - those fellows told that the only way to fix my issue is to re-flash the phone, which has to be done in the repair centre using special hardware...

Advertisement