Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corluka to Spurs?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭

So it looks like a lot of the rags are carrying this story both late yesterday and today -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4461044.ece

Basically I'm just wondering if any Spurs fan has any info on whether it's bollox or not. I've just only yesterday ordered the new City home shirt from the club with 'Corluka 5' on the back and I'd be devastated if he left before my shirt even got to me in Australia. Don't even think I can get a refund/change my order as it's classed as a personalised item :(

If we sell him I'll be disgusted. At 22 he was in our top 3 outstanding players last year and the fee being quoted doesn't represent much, if any profit. The guy is just class as well.

Is it merely a case of Modric = Croatia = Corluka or is there some truth in it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Not sure mate, but he'd be a great signing for us. I was very impressed with him last season, particularly when he played centre half, and thats an area where we need to strengthen. Did'nt realise he was so young, another big plus. Although Id be suprised if sparky decided to sell !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Probably the most reliable ITK on the Spurs site I post on says it is very much on Xavi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah I've read the same everywhere. I can't say I know too much about him but the reports are good. It would be a bit surprising as people on the City forum's really rate him and would hate to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well apparently Hughes has told the Manchester Evening News that he knows nothing about it.

I had to make a long distance phone call to Manchester this morning to cancel my shirt. gonna wait a few days til the dust settles then I'll order again.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well apparently Hughes has told the Manchester Evening News that he knows nothing about it.

Not quite Xavi...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1061151_spurs_in_for_corluka
    CITY are in advanced discussions with Tottenham over the sale of defender Vedran Corluka.

Boss Mark Hughes would use the money to chase to £14m-rated Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz, who remains top of his wish-list.

The Blues would accept an offer of £7m for Croatian Corluka – the fee that Sven-Goran Eriksson paid for the 22-year-old last summer - and a deal between the clubs could be reached by the end of the day.

The arrival last week of Tal Ben Haim from Chelsea has given Hughes an additional option at right-back and the manager also has England Under-21s star Nedum Onuoha in his squad, which would soften any blow of losing Corluka, who was an automatic first-choice last season.

Hughes said: “There will always be speculation about good players and Vedran is a very good player.

“He had an exceptional European Championships. I can’t elaborate any more because I don’t know a great deal about it. The news surprised me this morning.”

There is also the possibility that Hughes will use negotiations with Juande Ramos to check out the availability of England right winger Aaron Lennon who has slipped down the pecking order at the Lane with the arrival of David Bentley.

We're hearing the deal could be completed by end of day also, possibly tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah I meant he was unaware of it happening at first.

Apparently it's not been Hughes' decision at all and someone higher up has said Corluka can go. Corluka apparently spoke to Modric and expressed his interest and it's taken off from there.

I honestly don't mind a player leaving if he doesn't want to stay at the club, it's the ridiculous fee being touted that's annoying me.

Quick morning update - Corluka has left for Scotland with the rest of the squad ahead of the friendly with Celtic. If he was leaving surely he would be staying behind?

We're being told the opposite! Two very reputable ITK's reporting that he's due at Spurs Lodge for a medical today. Where did you get your info Xavi?

A lad that works at Carrington (City's training ground). He said that Corluka was definitely on the coach but Elano has stayed behind.

Check this out.

TOTTENHAM are on the verge of completing a £9million deal for the Manchester City and Croatia defender Vedran Corluka.

Acting on his head coach Juande Ramos' advice, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has lodged a bid with Mark Hughes' side, which is believed to have been accepted.

Talks are now at an advanced stage, with Corluka visiting Spurs Lodge yesterday (Wednesday) and will formally complete his move by the end of the week.

When the move does go through, the 22-year-old will be expected to provide high quality cover for Spurs' captain Ledley King, whose troublesome knee will require rest at certain points in the season.

Corluka joined City from Dinamo Zagreb last summer - for a fee of around £8m - and immediately shone at right back.

He has since shown his versatility, however, slotting in at centre-back - arguably his natural position - and at right wing-back.

Tall, physically imposing but with an excellent touch and positional skills, Corluka has also been stationed as a defensive midfielder, which appeals to a Spurs hierarchy short of viable options in that position.

Hughes is willing to sell at the right price, with Micah Richards, Richard Dunne, Nedum Onuoha and new-signing Tal Ben Haim all vying for defensive positions. Another factor that may help Spurs is that Corluka shares an agent with Luka Modric, who was successfully lured to White Hart Lane earlier this summer.

Indeed, the Croatian pair are close friends, having emerged as exact contemporaries from the Dinamo youth system, before progressing into the national side together.

And last week Modric confirmed that Corluka offered a guiding hand when it came to him deciding to move to England.

"I spoke to Corluka nearly every day," Modric told the Journal. "He played a big part in my coming here."

Corluka's imminent arrival will almost certainly speed the departure of Younes Kaboul, who is the subject of interest from Aston Villa and Portsmouth.

The former Auxerre defender endured a torrid first season in England, and while he is still viewed by Spurs coaches as a player of potential, the arrival of a marginally younger, proven replacement would soften any potential disappointment.

With less than a month of the current transfer window remaining, Spurs are still open to bids for Kevin-Prince Boateng, Paul Stalteri, Young-pyo Lee and Ricardo Rocha, although none have been forthcoming.

• Advertisement

Yet apparently he's on his way to Scotland.....

That article is really a non-story tbh. The only quotes are from Modric about his own transfer!

Yeah the latest update is that his medical is today and tomorrow and that he will be announced on Friday, which is usually the day Spurs announce new signings.

What's your source?

A couple of Spurs ITK's on one of the main boards I use, COYS. Also apparently a poster on Blue Moon (is that one of your fan sites?) has reported that Radio Manchester has mentioned that he is in London at the moment.

It seems as if nobody can confirm exactly where he is. I'd seriously doubt he'd play for City tonight if he were as close to signing for Spurs as is being reported by the various ITK's.

Lol don't ever, EVER trust anything you read on Bluemoon! It is the worst fan site ever.

Our reliable source, who has proven good in the past, just said -
    I dont have any reason to make this up or to twist the thruth but here are some facts from a reliable source that works in Dinamo Zagreb and is great firend of Modric and Corluka. Thats the same guy that told me about Benjani coming to City from Charlie. Anyway i was trying to get him on a phone to find out is there any thruth in all this madness and heres, in short,what Charlie said today...

That he enjoys Manchester so much, that he loves fans and he became friend with players and that he wont go in Tottenham if coach has him in his plans, EVEN if his friend Modric is there.
    Club accepted Tottenham offer, Charlie was waiting for Hughes to come out and say is he in his plans this season...Hughes said that he is really counting on him but that City also needs money, but if he reject they will find another way to finance signings.

Anway CHARLIE fooking REJECTED the SPURS!!!

Like I said heard it from a reliable source but dont take it for 100%, but this information is old for about two hours !!!

Who knows!

Heh we have a few sites like Bluemoon too. I try to never get too carried away by what the ITK's reveal so I guess we'll see what happens.

Sure why would he want to stay at City, only decent players they have are Richards, Dunne and the lad Corluka.....if he has any sense or ambition he'll be arriving at the lane anyday now :)

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Sure why would he want to stay at City, only decent players they have are Richards, Dunne and the lad Corluka.....if he has any sense or ambition he'll be arriving at the lane anyday now :)

Hmmm to report for blatant trolling or not to report.....

So you don't think Elano, Johnson, Petrov and Hart are good players? they'd stroll into the Spurs side.

Blatant trolling, are you having a laugh, is this not a Tottenham board :rolleyes:

Yep your dead right, they'd all stroll in to the Spurs team :p

Hmmm to report for blatant trolling or not to report.....

So you don't think Elano, Johnson, Petrov and Hart are good players? they'd stroll into the Spurs side.

He was joking, not trolling. I'm not too familiar with Elano, though Hart and Johnson are both very good. I don't feel they'd walk into the current Spurs squad - Johnson or Modric, Hart or Gomes? In fairness both Spurs players are unproven in the PL, but both have huge reputations and if they settle well will be huge players.

Petrov on the other hand is special, and I really wish he'd chosen to sign for Spurs rather than City last season. I was gutted when I saw what had happened as it looked nailed on for us, and I would still quite happily take him. He would walk into the Spurs team and I believe into quite a few of the top four too.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Blatant trolling, are you having a laugh, is this not a Tottenham board :rolleyes:

Nice to see you receive other fans well then by baiting
    Yep your dead right, they'd all stroll in to the Spurs team :p

Hart > Gomes (I don't rate or trust Brazilian keepers)
    Johnson > Zokora
    Petrov > Anyone Spurs have out left
    Elano > Modric (At this moment as Elano has had a season in the EPL)

Don't think that's unreasonable.

Anyone, nice to see Corluka's medical went well! He came through 45 minutes against Celtic alright anyway. :pac:

Xavi, imo there is no trolling or baiting going on in this thread. As usual, if u have a problem with posts or posters, use the report functon.

As for the player assessments, only petrov would walk into our side (though i'd take richards as an able replacement for king)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Nice to see you receive other fans well then by baiting

Hart > Gomes (I don't rate or trust Brazilian keepers)
    Johnson > Zokora
    Petrov > Anyone Spurs have out left
    Elano > Modric (At this moment as Elano has had a season in the EPL)

Don't think that's unreasonable.

Anyone, nice to see Corluka's medical went well! He came through 45 minutes against Celtic alright anyway. :pac:

Are the above city players the same players who played away last season against boro and were unlucky to lose 8-1 ,Gimme a break , only petrov would have a half a chance of getting in to our team , as for the rest!!!

you wont see us going down 8-1 to boro sat week , bring it on.

BERBA wrote: »
    Are the above city players the same players who played away last season against boro and were unlucky to lose 8-1 ,Gimme a break , only petrov would have a half a chance of getting in to our team , as for the rest!!!

you wont see us going down 8-1 to boro sat week , bring it on.

B-b-b-but we finished above you, or does that not matter? The Boro thing was a once off due to a manager knowing he was on his way and the team not giving a shite. And of course that is unacceptable. One game doesn't make a season (which is why we beat United twice! :D).

Seriously, Spurs could definitely do with a centre half pairing of Dunne and Richards (who are both better than Deadly King and Woodgate). Hart is/will be a better keeper than Gomes and Elano is just pure class really. Corluka would also be better than Hutton imo.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take some of your players, but those white tinted glasses really need to come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

B-B-But we finished above you two years before that and we won a trophy last year. now dont get me wrong i admire Man City as they have tried and somewhat succeed in coming out from under united's Shadow abd i welcome posters from other clubs always.

Now a team that finished 9th above our 11th and considering you finished 15th and 14th the two years previous to our 5th i wouldn't consider much braging rights.

I Really do hope yee do well next year by the by

To be fair, I never came in here looking for bragging rights. I don't want to get into debates on players but I'm gonna defend the club when this short of post is aimed in my direction -
    Sure why would he want to stay at City, only decent players they have are Richards, Dunne and the lad Corluka.....if he has any sense or ambition he'll be arriving at the lane anyday now

Pretty unnecessary imo and nothing to do with the discussion.

Seriously, Spurs could definitely do with a centre half pairing of Dunne and Richards (who are both better than Deadly King and Woodgate). Hart is/will be a better keeper than Gomes and Elano is just pure class really. Corluka would also be better than Hutton imo.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take some of your players, but those white tinted glasses really need to come off.

Controversial!! :D I'd take a fit King & Woodgate over any pairing in the PL rather than Ferdinand/Vidic or Carvalho/Terry. Fit being the operative word here though as King is not, no matter what the club would have us believe. I would love Dunne and/or Richards at the club and when SGE left I hoped we'd sign Dunne - alas it wasn't to be. Richards will be a superb player. He's excellent at the moment, but with his attributes and the right coaching will turn into one of the best defenders in the country.

I'd hold off on the Gomes/Hart thing until a while into the season. Personally I'm just happy to be rid of Robinson and to have someone that so far (and I know it's only pre-season) has looked commanding and very capable.

I can't really comment on Corluka or Elano as I'm not familiar with them. Are you happy with Hughes as a coach Xavi? I liked SGE's style, and I don't know if Hughes has the same flair for attractive football. Do you think your current players will work well with him?

I agree you're best shot of Robinson. I wasn't happy when our name was thrown into the pot as a possible destination for him!

As for Hughes, I'm delighted with the appointment. After last year's media circus surrounding Sven and the new owner we were the centre of attention. That won't be the case this year as, let's face it, British manager's aren't exactly exciting!

I'd say 80% or so of the players need a good kick up the arse considering how we played after Christmas and there's no better man to that really. He has already taken steps to sort that by banning mobile phones etc from the training ground and having strong words with the likes of Johnson who was in danger of going off the rails with his boozy antics.

We're certainly not top 4 material by any means but we don't expect to be. All City fans want is some stability and European qualification. If Hughes gets that then job done for this year.

• Advertisement

Xavi, imo there is no trolling or baiting going on in this thread. As usual, if u have a problem with posts or posters, use the report functon.

Thank You Ronan. And as for this guy thinking my post was unecessary, does my little smiley face that I included not add a touch of jest, ie, I was having a laugh. My god, these city fans are touchy. Im not writing in this thread again just in case he decides to tell my folks and I get grounded !! :pac:

Advertisement