Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Tailgating road bullies are scourge of motoring" - Irish Independent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Now you make yourself seem foolish by making the assumption that it wasn't a dual carriageway. He doesn't clarify at all, therefore NO assumptions can be made about the road he was driving on. ;)

Why the fcuk would he and his editor publish an article about him being undertaken while hogging the outside lane in a national newspaper. If he was doing something wrong why didn't the guards pull him over instead of the boy racer? For christs sakes people how about a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Why the fcuk would he and his editor publish an article about him being undertaken while hogging the outside lane in a national newspaper. If he was doing something wrong why didn't the guards pull him over instead of the boy racer? For christs sakes people how about a bit of cop on.

Now now, no need for the aggressive attitude! ;)

Considering how many people in this country don't actually know that you are not supposed to drive in the overtaking lane it's entirely possible that such an article would be printed. Also, it's easier for a garda to prosecute an aggressive tailgating undertaker than someone who was driving at the correct speed just because they were in the wrong lane. Show a bit of cop (and some respect) yourself. ;)

I'm totally correct in calling you out on your silly assumption in as much as you were correct to call people out on theirs. What's your problem? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

well thats 5 mins of my life wasted by reading this thread :rolleyes:

siralfalot wrote: »
    well thats 5 mins of my life wasted by reading this thread :rolleyes:

Well I hope posting that made you feel a little better about all that wasted time :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I was travelling on the N4 nay but 20 minutes ago. The speed limit was posted as 80 kph. In the overtaking lane was an old lad, well past his prime, driving at 50 kph, sitting on the centre white line between the lanes.

I was a nice 2 car distance behind him, patience rapidly evaporating. I flashed my lights twice, no response. I turned on my right indicator, flashed twice.

Nothing.

Perplexed, I sat back and waited to see if he just genuinely didn't see me. I noticed his eyes in his rear-view mirror. He could see me, and he was fuming that I had the gall to tell him to f**k off into the completely empty driving lane, as all the traffic were behind me and equally perplexed.

After 2 km of this nonsense, cars started undertaking him and blasting him with their horns. I was the last to go, I hate undertaking, but he just couldn't stand to let someone go by him legally.

I mean, what can you do? If I was on duty, I would have stopped him and had a serious chat. I sometimes get close to cars hogging overtaking lanes, to bully them into driving properly, which I regret, but irish people are so thick, they just don't learn from their mistakes. It's that, or they are just utterly selfish and pig ignorant, I don't like to believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

enda1 wrote: »
    I've driven from Brussels to Lyon twice this year and many times to Paris, Lille, cologne and other places and believe me, the Belgian's in particular! but also the Dutch are the scourge of Europe's roads (and Spanish tuck drivers!!). At least on the continent people deal none too kindly to cars sitting in the outside lane!

The Irish are bad too though, that's true.

I'm Irish and I live in the Netherlands and drive to Germany and Belgium on a regular basis, its never an issue for me. If there is anyone in the Far left lane their usually doing around 140 - 160 kp/h. You'd want to be horsing it big time to be stuck behind someone in the outside lane.

The Belgians in General are all over the place, but haven't seen any lane hogging even mildly to the extent of Ireland.

Well I hope posting that made you feel a little better about all that wasted time :D:p

oh yes thanks, much better! :D

this thread reminds me of this little beauty

http://www.galwayindependent.com/letters/letters/astonished-at-%27rude-and-boorish%27-galway-drivers/

and the same letter from "Mags" to the Independant

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/bullies-on-the-road-are-driving-me-mad-1371885.html

and the reply from a retired garda who IMO should have uncle gaybos job

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/sometimes-there-is-a-need-for-speed-1372860.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I mean, what can you do? If I was on duty, I would have stopped him and had a serious chat. I sometimes get close to cars hogging overtaking lanes, to bully them into driving properly, which I regret, but irish people are so thick, they just don't learn from their mistakes. It's that, or they are just utterly selfish and pig ignorant, I don't like to believe that.
    Did you get his reg and call it in to the local station?

With all due respect for our elders, it sounds like it's time for him to hang up his keys - for good.

Now now, no need for the aggressive attitude! ;)

Considering how many people in this country don't actually know that you are not supposed to drive in the overtaking lane it's entirely possible that such an article would be printed. Also, it's easier for a garda to prosecute an aggressive tailgating undertaker than someone who was driving at the correct speed just because they were in the wrong lane. Show a bit of cop (and some respect) yourself. ;)

I'm totally correct in calling you out on your silly assumption in as much as you were correct to call people out on theirs. What's your problem? :confused:

My problem is I drove from Dublin to down the country this weekend and back again and I know exactly what the point of the article is....as anyone with a bit of cop on can figure out by just reading the title of the article. Go write one about idiots hogging the outside lane if you want but this whole thread has done notihng to debate the issue of bully drivers on our roads who think they are holier than thou and you need to get out of the way because they're late for a very important date and to hell with the speed limit sure isn't it a bullsh!t speed limit anyway I know better than anyone else now move before I ram up your ar$e.

what gives you the right to dish out justice on the roads? Are you the caped crusader? what kind of a mindless moron drives up the ar$e of someone risking the life of anyone in the vacinity? Drive up my ar$e and you'll be going nowhere fast I'll tell you that much.

• Advertisement

http://www.galwayindependent.com/letters/letters/astonished-at-%27rude-and-boorish%27-galway-drivers/

Ah that's classic :)

SteveC wrote: »
    Did you get his reg and call it in to the local station?

With all due respect for our elders, it sounds like it's time for him to hang up his keys - for good.

Hey Steve, the problem is that he wasn't doing anything really illegal, and a judge would go very easy on him.

The only way to fix this issue is to create two new offences, ideally as below (IMO)

1. Driving at a speed considered too low for the prevailing conditions (e.g. 20 kph below the posted limit) - €80 and 2 pts, €250 on conviction and 4 pts.
    2. On a motorway or dual-carriageway - Keep left unless overtaking, €500 fine and 6 pts ticket. Sounds harsh, but will not be needed for long once people cop on.
    Other than that, I'd like to see the lorry drivers properly banned from overtaking except where the speed limit is below 80 kph, they spend hours overtaking each other. It's different when they're overtaking a tractor or other heavy site machinery.

These three steps could lead to a serious reduction in tailgating and road rage. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

and the same letter from "Mags" to the Independant

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/bullies-on-the-road-are-driving-me-mad-1371885.html

and the reply from a retired garda who IMO should have uncle gaybos job

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/sometimes-there-is-a-need-for-speed-1372860.html

Good find - that Mags woman personifies the level of ignorance on Irish roads.:mad:

That letter is pasted to the wall in the local Traffic Unit office :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

I'm sure there are many incidents such as this every day but I think that was me that he was refering to. I was behind someone on the N11 Dual Carriageway, southbound last week (he was marginally overtaking left hand traffic at about 90 km/h) and I wasn't exactly tailgating the car in front but I would have been close enough to let him know I was keen to drive at the speed limit (100 km/h) maybe about 10-15 yards. Too close I know so crucify me all you like. Anyway - as we reached a clear run of the road where both lanes were free, I gave him about 10 seconds to pull into the left. He didn't budge. I was pissed off with that and wanted to make a point. I pulled in left and undertook him, I broke the speed limit and the Gardai pulled me in and 2 points, €80 fine. Good enough for me - I accept I broke the law and got what I deserved. But if the driver was deliberately and knowingly hanging out in the overtaking lane then he was no better and how dare he be so hypocritical as to judge me? Basically what the author did was just as bad in my book. :mad:

I'm sure there are many incidents such as this every day but I think that was me that he was refering to. I was behind someone on the N11 Dual Carriageway, southbound last week (he was marginally overtaking left hand traffic at about 90 km/h) and I wasn't exactly tailgating the car in front but I would have been close enough to let him know I was keen to drive at the speed limit (100 km/h) maybe about 10-15 yards. Too close I know so crucify me all you like. Anyway - as we reached a clear run of the road where both lanes were free, I gave him about 10 seconds to pull into the left. He didn't budge. I was pissed off with that and wanted to make a point. I pulled in left and undertook him, I broke the speed limit and the Gardai pulled me in and 2 points, €80 fine. Good enough for me - I accept I broke the law and got what I deserved. But if the driver was deliberately and knowingly hanging out in the overtaking lane then he was no better and how dare he be so hypocritical as to judge me? Basically what the author did was just as bad in my book. :mad:

Keep left unless overtaking or approaching a right turn. Most people know the N11 and most people know that on the Dublin stretch there is a junction every few hundred metres or so, so keeping in the right hand lane (it cannot be classified as an overtaking lane on that road) so as not to get stuck in the left lane and miss your turn or be forced to dive across dangerously to make your turn is called good driving in my books.

:confused: All of the exits off this stretch of the N11 are sliproads on the left. There was no right turn for 10 miles at this point, nor had there been for the previous 10. :confused:

Keep left unless overtaking or approaching a right turn. Most people know the N11 and most people know that on the Dublin stretch there is a junction every few hundred metres or so, so keeping in the right hand lane (it cannot be classified as an overtaking lane on that road) so as not to get stuck in the left lane and miss your turn or be forced to dive across dangerously to make your turn is called good driving in my books.

You don't drive in the overtaking lane until approx 1 -1.5 km before the right turn, that's just ignorant. :eek:

:confused: All of the exits off this stretch of the N11 are sliproads on the left. There was no right turn for 10 miles at this point, nor had there been for the previous 10. :confused:

I should point out this was between Ashford and Wicklow Town.

OK well in that case I'd agree, he should have been done for dangerous driving as well if indeed it was the author.

• Advertisement

You don't drive in the overtaking lane until approx 1 -1.5 km before the right turn, that's just ignorant. :eek:

Yes I agree. I associated the N11 with the Stillorgan road....forgot it goes all the way to Wexford :o

Hey Steve, the problem is that he wasn't doing anything really illegal, and a judge would go very easy on him.

The only way to fix this issue is to create two new offences, ideally as below (IMO)
    Yeah, I've heard RTA convictions aren't the easiest to prosecute.

If I was in charge, I would simply make it legal to overtake on the left on a multi-carriage road - yes it could cause some problems, it would also solve a hell of a lot too.
    The current law was thought up when the nearest thing we had to a dual carriageway was a boreen with grass up the middle.:pac:

If I was in charge, I would simply make it legal to overtake on the left on a multi-carriage road - yes it could cause some problems, it would also solve a hell of a lot too.
    The current law was thought up when the nearest thing we had to a dual carriageway was a boreen with grass up the middle.:pac:

HAIL EMPEROR STEVEC!! :pac:

I'd second that. rules were also made when cars only hand one wing mirror on the drivers side making it a dangerous manuvoure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Hard Luck Jabborwocky, that sucks.

By the way to "mags" back in box there love!

I agree with mr cunningham, (if a single lane road) im not talking about driving one wheel on the white line but keeping left enough not to be in the hard shoulder, but still the amount of bullying going on is horrific, and i aint a slow driver, i will always hang around 105/110 on my speedo, its approx 108 on the speedo to be doing 100KMH according to sat nav, but why should i drive in the hard shoulder just so you can overtake, im giving you room to do your manover if you want....
    But then again is this another form of road bullying:rolleyes:!

But motorway the overtaking lane thing gets my goat, i "beeped" at somebody once who was sitting at 80kmh in the overtaking lane and the abuse i got jaysus!

Iam finding that us males are on the decrease with regards to road bullying, it is usually a BMW or Audi with a women with sunglasses bono would be jealous of attempting to run you off the road, even though infront of you is a line of traffic, miles long:D

That is my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paulos

guys read the article before getting on your high horse. Where does it say he is hogging the middle or outside lane? He doesn't mention what kind of road it is, its safe to assume he means a single lane road at which he is doing the legal speed limit. he doesn't need to pull over for anyone and in fact Should not pull over under any circumstances other than to let an emergency vehicle pass.

here is a copy of some text from the rules of the road for you,
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/pdf-downloads/english/rules-of-the-road%20eng.pdf page 60
    This road contains a hard shoulder,
    which is normally only for
    pedestrians and cyclists.
    If a driver wants to allow a vehicle
    behind them to overtake, they may
    pull in to the hard shoulder briefly as
    long as no pedestrians or cyclists are
    already using it and no junctions or
    entrances are nearby.
    Different rules exist for hard
    shoulders on motorways. See
    Section 11 for details.

HAIL EMPEROR STEVEC!! :pac:

/likes the sound of that...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

My problem is I drove from Dublin to down the country this weekend and back again and I know exactly what the point of the article is....as anyone with a bit of cop on can figure out by just reading the title of the article. Go write one about idiots hogging the outside lane if you want but this whole thread has done notihng to debate the issue of bully drivers on our roads who think they are holier than thou and you need to get out of the way because they're late for a very important date and to hell with the speed limit sure isn't it a bullsh!t speed limit anyway I know better than anyone else now move before I ram up your ar$e.

what gives you the right to dish out justice on the roads? Are you the caped crusader? what kind of a mindless moron drives up the ar$e of someone risking the life of anyone in the vacinity? Drive up my ar$e and you'll be going nowhere fast I'll tell you that much.

Are you saying that you would stay in front of a driver who tries to bully you out of the way when you are driving at the speed limit?

paulos wrote: »
    here is a copy of some text from the rules of the road for you,
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/pdf-downloads/english/rules-of-the-road%20eng.pdf page 60
    This road contains a hard shoulder,
    which is normally only for
    pedestrians and cyclists.
    If a driver wants to allow a vehicle
    behind them to overtake, they may
    pull in to the hard shoulder briefly as
    long as no pedestrians or cyclists are
    already using it and no junctions or
    entrances are nearby.
    Different rules exist for hard
    shoulders on motorways. See
    Section 11 for details.

If a driver wants to allow a vehicle to overtake. If I'm doing the legal speed limit and some smart arse tail gates me I will choose not to allow them to over take....my right as per the rules you have pointed out. If the hard shoulder is in rag order as most of them are there is no way I will pull into one at high speed. Thanks for backing up my point.

• Advertisement

Then you might find one of my colleagues pulling you over for a wee chat to allow other traffic to progress.

Driving is a privilege, not a right, sir.

EDIT: It's people like that that cause so much road rage these days anyway. We should mirror other countries and create a law where if you have x amount of cars behind you, you must pull over to let them pass.

Not to mention it's just good manners and good defensive driving practice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement