Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Tailgating road bullies are scourge of motoring" - Irish Independent

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Speaking of weird Irish driving behaviour...
    why do Irish people assume the climbing lanes, which believe it or not are available in a few places, are only there for trucks ?
    The amount of people that sit on the overtaking or faster traffic lane and refuse to use the totally empty climbing lane beside them is unreal.
    From experience there is even a section of flat N5 road in Roscommon with overtaking lane, which nobody bar tractor drivers and trucks ever bother using correctly.

Also can one answer what is going through the minds of the drivers that you come across late at night sitting or rather driving in the overtaking lane, who move into the left lane and then once you are past move back into the overtaking lane?
    And I am talking about motorway e.g M4 so there are no right turns and I have come across this on multiple occassions in a few parts of the country and Dublin city.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    He was responding to someone who said he was driving at the speed limit.

Sorry, think he might have overlooked that too with his response.

I still don't know why people wont just pull in though if needs be to stop a tailgater. Driving is a lot more pleasurable and safer without some gobsh1te stuck up yer arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Oh yes, The Tailgater. Otherwise known as the lowest of the lowest. For someone like me who is very new to driving (still learning by the way) I find them to be annoying, inconsiderate parasites. They are very dangerous and can put people off driving in general. Have they no respect for other drivers, that they have to right to get up behind someone? It has been happening a lot more recently. Are they in a hurry or do they feel the need to intimidate other drivers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

jmayo wrote: »
    Speaking of weird Irish driving behaviour...
    why do Irish people assume the climbing lanes, which believe it or not are available in a few places, are only there for trucks ?
    The amount of people that sit on the overtaking or faster traffic lane and refuse to use the totally empty climbing lane beside them is unreal.
    Poor road design IMO. The overtaking lane is normally a continuation of the traffic lane, the opposite should be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

BrianD3 wrote: »
    PS I'd have my doubts as to whether Marcus.Aurelius is an actual Garda. In several recent posts he claimed to be a PhD biologist.

I know a PhD who is now a soldier, I know two PhD's who are now nurses (all Biologists). I have a PhD and am a medical writer...okay so I work in a field related to my job but last year I was headhunted by a software company to write for their marketing communications department. My bosses matched the offer :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

kbannon wrote: »
    maybe then provide a source where it says that you can choose to not allow them to pass.
    All that I can find is the previously quoted piece where is says that you can choose to allow them to pass - quite a different thing altogether! What you are saying is effectively blocking them!

No not really. You can choose to let them pass. So you have a choice to do it or not. If I'm preventing them from speeding they can overtake me I'm not going to block them, I'm just not going to pull over into the hard shoulder for them if I deem it dangerous to do so. Are you people for real or are you just picking an argument? What is the offence here? If I'm driving legally on the road and someone speeding drives up my hole and hits me I'm going to get a "talking to" over it for not pulling into a pot hole, debris, cyclist, parked car, tractor, perpendicular junction, drive way invested death trap of a sorry excuse of a lane to facilitate a speeding motorist?? Get real people. How about the speeding motorist slows down and keeps his distance mmm? Does that not make any sense to any of you petrol heads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

BrianD3 wrote: »
    PS I'd have my doubts as to whether Marcus.Aurelius is an actual Garda. In several recent posts he claimed to be a PhD biologist.

Impersonating an officer on a public forum....<personal insult removed> D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well JK,

I hope you're never in a situation where you have to get to a hospital quick and you meet someone who hogs the road just because they are the self appointed traffic police.*

Personally I find it easier to pull in and slow down for the 3 - 5 seconds it generally takes for anyone speeding to go on their way and become someone elses problem. I think your description of typical hard shoulder as
    pot hole, debris, cyclist, parked car, tractor, perpendicular junction, drive way invested death trap
    is just a tad overblown to try and support whatever argument you have.

I think when driving and finding people behind you like this, it's better to leave the ego behind and have consideration for all road users*.

*That's not a pop at you, I'm speaking generally here; and to be fair it'd also be good if those tailgating also had more consideration.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im thinking that this thread has been going nowhere for long enough. Anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yeppp :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement