Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porcelain crown breaking immediately

• 05-08-2008 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I got two crowns fitted yesterday (eventually started this course of treatment back in November 07). When the dentist fitted them he said bite down and I did and heard a crack. He said oh some of the porcelain broke off but that doesn't matter. He said you are finished and come back in six months for a check up to see who the crowns are doing. He never showed me a mirror. When I got home I looked at my teeth and the one that cracked shows the filling underneath (I had a root canal filling a few years ago but then the tooth fractured at a later stage). I was just wondering if I had a right to complain and get another crown or if it is common for them to crack at the top. It is at the back so it is just cosmetic to have the top covered as well, as long as I don't lose my tooth I am pretty happy but am disappointed that he acted like there was nothing wrong. Just wondering what my rights were and what the common practice is?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

it can happen but it'd be reasonable to replace the broken crown, straight away and without any charge.
    sometimes when they crack like that, nothing is visible and it can take hours or weeks before you can see where the problem is
    Bryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Oiny wrote: »
    Hi,

I got two crowns fitted yesterday (eventually started this course of treatment back in November 07). When the dentist fitted them he said bite down and I did and heard a crack. He said oh some of the porcelain broke off but that doesn't matter. He said you are finished and come back in six months for a check up to see who the crowns are doing. He never showed me a mirror. When I got home I looked at my teeth and the one that cracked shows the filling underneath (I had a root canal filling a few years ago but then the tooth fractured at a later stage). I was just wondering if I had a right to complain and get another crown or if it is common for them to crack at the top. It is at the back so it is just cosmetic to have the top covered as well, as long as I don't lose my tooth I am pretty happy but am disappointed that he acted like there was nothing wrong. Just wondering what my rights were and what the common practice is?

Thanks
    they are dear enough, you would be well within your rights to demand a new one since he either didnt do it right or are bad quality.
    crowns should last up to 10 yrs more with proper care not one day!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Oiny

Thanks BryanL and minxie1

I have decided to wait a few days and see if any pain and if not to leave it, to be honest am sick of seeing him, have been the last three weeks - my temporary crown broke, my moulds had to be taken again as the crown people said they weren't done the first time and then to get the crowns fitted. I feel like if I go back I'll be visiting him the next few months, instead if no pain will leave it and find a different dentist for all future work.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Oiny wrote: »
    Thanks BryanL and minxie1

I have decided to wait a few days and see if any pain and if not to leave it, to be honest am sick of seeing him, have been the last three weeks - my temporary crown broke, my moulds had to be taken again as the crown people said they weren't done the first time and then to get the crowns fitted. I feel like if I go back I'll be visiting him the next few months, instead if no pain will leave it and find a different dentist for all future work.

Cheers
    where are you based??
    i could recommend a great one

Hey Minxie1,

I would really appreciate that. I live in Santry but work in town (Harcourt Street) so would be grateful if you could recommend somewhere neither either of those.

Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Oiny they can make a new crown from the impressions and models they already have. so you should only need to go in for him to see it and then return in 2 weeks to have it fitted.
    Dental work can be hard for everyone involved sometimes,patient,dentist and labs. But not completing things leaves everyone in a mess.
    Pain is not a great measure of success or otherwise in dentistry, it normally only show's there is damage to the nerve or infection present.
    Do everyone espically yourself a favour and get it re-done by them ASAP
    all the best,Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I will make an appointment to see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I agree with Brian - not solving the probelm now, when the crown has just been done and you're well within your rights to go back and have it fixed for free, could lead to all sorts of complications in the near future that you'll probably end up paying more cash for. And dentists are enough of a rip off as it is!!!

Advertisement