Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending existing concrete patio to pave over

Options
  • 05-08-2008 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure which forum to put this in really so please move if needs be.
    I have a plain concrete patio area and path out the back which I want to put paving stones over. I read on the roadstone web site that as long as I use the large enough paving it is ok to lay this on the concrete. My problem is I want the patio area and the path to be 1 slab wider than they are at the moment. The question is do I need to extend the concrete patio to do this properly and will there be a lot of problems if I just build up the area under these extra slabs with stone and sand?

If I do have to extend the concrete patio how do I join the two?

New to working with paving and concrete but have a few "handy" mates and am willing to give it a try. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

it's no problem to lay slabs over concrete, what you must watch out
    for it the measurement from the top of the new slabs (when you place on concrete) to your house Damp Proof Course (DPC) - according to the regs this must be a minimum of 150mm

subject to you having the required distance from the top of the slab to the DPC mix mortar and put on concrete, lay slabs ensuring slope/fall away from the house.

regarding the extra width of the patio/path thats not a problem,
    dig out the earth where the slabs will going, put stone in situ, compact/roll
    (if possible) put some mortar on stone, slabs on top. job done

what measurement of slabs are you going for? say your path is 3ft
    you could use 2 (24 X 18) give you a width of 4feet

or what i reckon is better use the slabs,

18x18 12x18 18x18 or a combination of the two but stagger them

for light reading

www.pavingexpert.com

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Thanks for the reply. I had come across that web site before from trawling threads but I could not find the answer to widening the existing concrete area. Thats great news as I was worried about having to dig up the existing patio in order to get it all the same level.

Thats for the advice, it was very beneficial.

Advertisement