Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT query - please help

Options
  • 05-08-2008 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,
    I lived in the UK for a few years, and am now in Ireland working. I have recently bought a northern car, and have not as yet registered it. I understand that to be exempt from paying VRT, you need to have lived for at least 6 months abroad with it. I have a UK license and could get it taxed for 6 months at my old address. If I do this, and in 6 months time decide to register it, will the customs use my PPS number to verify that I have not been living here? Do they actually go this far when a person is registering a car, or is it just a matter of having the PPS number down on the form?
    Has anyone had any experience of this? Any advice out there??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sin1981 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I lived in the UK for a few years, and am now in Ireland working. I have recently bought a northern car, and have not as yet registered it. I understand that to be exempt from paying VRT, you need to have lived for at least 6 months abroad with it. I have a UK license and could get it taxed for 6 months at my old address. If I do this, and in 6 months time decide to register it, will the customs use my PPS number to verify that I have not been living here? Do they actually go this far when a person is registering a car, or is it just a matter of having the PPS number down on the form?
    Has anyone had any experience of this? Any advice out there??
    You need to prove where you live and worked by providing bills, bank statements, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Agree with kbannon - I re-registered my UK car last year after moving home and had all receipts/statements required to prove owning it in the UK for 1.5yrs. They still wanted more....I think I had to show some fuel receipts also at one point.

If you don't have the proof, then you gotta cough up the VRT. No questions.
    They want the money more than ever with the state of the tax take this year!
    The missus re-registered her car also, but had bought it around the time we moved, so had to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Transfer of Residence (TOR) regulations are strict and enforced. You won't pull the wool easily.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement