Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great day for a cycle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

My top tip for footwear to handle the wet weather... either Shimano MT90s or Shimano MT70s. They are essentially goretex hillwalking boots and shoes respectively, that can be fitted with MTB cleats, and I've found them great for keeping out the cold and wet, even mountainbiking in the middle of winter. They are also quite comfortable to walk in, as they have vibram soles. Overshoes wear out in no time mountainbiking... those boots last forever. I also find I can wear the MT90s as casual boots, even in work, as long as I'm not in a suit!

From the look of the rainfall radar on met.ie there's trouble-a-brewin' again today (for Dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Myth wrote: »
    From the look of the rainfall radar on met.ie there's trouble-a-brewin' again today (for Dublin).
    Balls:mad:

I just cycled in in the lashing rain and I'd really rather it be dry on the way home. My dry socks even got wet in my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wasn't too bad this morning. Got my ass/back soaked from the spray, but other than that it didn't actually rain while I was going in, as far as I could tell.

Yeah yesterday was worse. I did find it annoying to be stuck behind someone without a rear mudguard on the canal though (so much spray!).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Enduro wrote: »
    Shimano MT90s ... those boots last forever
    When "forever" is about 5 years (the neoprene cuff on mine has detached), but they are great boots (as are the NorthWave equivalent), just don't expect too much of them: water will get past the cuff in deluges like the last couple of days, especially if your sock protrudes out of the boot - the rain wicks down it.
    Short socks help. In winter, wearing tights that overlap the boot is very effective. But this week is sandal weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

Well after reading this post yesterday. I got inspired to ride even though is was lashing down.

Managed to get a flat 5 mins in of my commute. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Lilphich wrote: »
    Well after reading this post yesterday. I got inspired to ride even though is was lashing down.

Managed to get a flat 5 mins in of my commute. :rolleyes:

haha oh dear, that's pretty unfortunate. One of my fears is getting a flat in the freezing cold with numb fingers. At least in this weather you know you are going to get soaked one way or the other, so pausing to change a tube isn't too bad. Not fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's worth noting that risk of punctures increases in the wet, so do your best to avoid broken glass and so forth when it's pissing rain.

Something to do with the rubber or something. I remember reading a good article about car tyres, which showed a car tyre grinding broken glass into dust when bone dry, but getting viciously penetrated when soaking wet.

Advertisement