Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you sand and varnish semi-solid floors?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

we've got semi-solid oak flooring throughout the downstairs of the house that was already installed when we bought the house. I'm not sure what finish is on it, but its looking pretty shabby, particularly the bit in the kitchen which has picked up quite a few stains.

My question is, how can I make this type of flooring look better? Is it feasible to sand and varnish semi-solid wood floors since they are not oak all the way through?

I don't want to ruin the floor, but I have to do something with it - otherwise the other half will want me to take the whole thing up and replace it with something else, which will cost a small fortune :(

Thanks for your help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Difficuly one to be honest. If the oak is of a decent depth then it can take a gentle sanding and re-varnish. The best advice i can give without seeing the floor is to say try gently sanding a piece and see what happens. The worst outcome of this is as you have already said a new floor. Depending on the flooring used it may not be that easy to sand either but if it will take a sanding then conside a stain before a varnish as it may camoflage some of the deeper damage with a severe sanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

thanks for the reply - I'll have to see if I can measure the depth of the oak layer tonight. I might try what you suggest in an inconspicuous corner of the room.

When varnishing floors, what brand do people recommend? I'd need something hardwearing for the kitchen floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I would guess that you prob have 4mm to 6mm to play with. If you have any more well then that be great. But your best as u said to take a look and see for your self how much oak you have. I think my self you will be ok to sand and varnish if you have 4mm or more.

Sanding is not hard to do but loads of people do crap jobs at it.
    2 pointers.
    1. Do no sand cross grain
    2. If using a belt sander do not have it stationary for more then 1 seconds. It should be always moving forwards and backwards.

Just a note: semi-solid is normally good for 1 or 2 sandings, maybe more depending on depth of oak and how much you need to take off. Badly worn floors needs more intensive sanding.

Advertisement