Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone read 'The Black House' by Stephen King?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this book (co-written by Peter Straub). I have read the first couple of chapters and while the story seems interesting enough, the narrative style is very irritating. What I mean is, the narration goes something like this, " now let us fly through this window and get a better look inside" or " we have seen enough of this place, let is meet someone else". It seems to go on like this throughout the whole book and i'm finding it grating after 2 chapters!

Has anyone persevered with this book, I'm a big SK fan and would hate to miss out on a good book of his.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really enjoyed it but before you go further, have you read The Talisman by Straub and King because The Black House continues the story in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i got that book ages ago
    only read the first chapter or two because I found the narrative irritating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It's really frustrating, because the story itself is very interesting. I have read The Talisman which I loved, but that was 10+ years ago so maybe i'll read it again and then give The Black House another chance. Sometimes books just aren't worth the hassle though. Just started reading Firestarter instead and I love it! Good story, well written, vintage King at it's best!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The style of The Black House is a little bit annoying at first but not all the book is like that (if I remember correctly) and you get used to it. I say persevere because it is a good tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

Def. don't give up, the book improves massively after the first few chapters. I would recommend reading The Talisman first though, and if you're a fan of the gunslinger books, King drops a few gems in these two books!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's just "Black House" and I have to say, I never even noticed the narrative style that's irritating you. Anyway, I would definitely say persevere - it's a very rewarding book, particularly if you've read the Dark Tower series.

Advertisement