Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is she entitled to full refund

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi,
    I work in a shop that sells laptops, and last week a lady bought laptop from me in the shop, this morning she comes back into the shop the laptop is fine no fault and is happy with it except she saw the exact same laptop spec and model cheaper in another shop and wants a full refund as she wants to buy the cheaper one or she wants to get refunded the difference she is calling back tomorrow once I have spoke to the manager, any replies would be gratefully accepted I don't think she is entitled to get a refund as the product is not faulty would like to hear what other people think before she comes back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

No way is she entitled to a refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

She's certainly not entitled to any refund to a full amount of a percentage, its upto her to shop around before buying something and thats something the consumer agency has advertised alot

Of course its upto the shop if they wanted to give anything as a goodwill gesture but yoyu certainly don't have to do a thing under law just because she's unhappy she paid more.

She's chancing her arm and if she says anything about it being a law or under consumer rights then she's talking out her back side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Unless the shop offers a price match policy and the customer has met the terms of that policy the customer is entitled to nothing, although the shop may offer an informal partial refund out of goodwill, as Cabaal says, perhaps if the customer makes an additional purchase.

You may want to watch for the development of any "mysterious faults" in the goods once the customer is advised of this decision.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

She isn't due anything. You may at your discretion, offer a discount but she has no rights whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

At most, give her a free laptop bag or something but by law she is not entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

Thanks for the replies,
    I have worked in shops for 10 years and have never had anyone chance that one, we dont have a price match policy and it is clearly stated on the wall in the shop that we do not give cash refunds we give replacements, repair of credit note she said she will come back tomorrow with her husband looking forward to that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Excluding the credit part you're home free but do expect them to try to claim their "rights". I'd recommend that you print out the relevant parts from citizeninformation.ie or similar location in advance of them coming in, it will save you a lot of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Is there not a "cooling off period" for this kinda big purchase of 7 days? Or does it need to be a car or house or something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think this may apply when an item is bought online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Red Alert wrote: »
    I think this may apply when an item is bought online.

Only applies to online purchases or where the seller has solicited the sale... ie a door to door double glazing salesman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

enda1 wrote: »
    Is there not a "cooling off period" for this kinda big purchase of 7 days? Or does it need to be a car or house or something?

That's for mail order and internet purchases, not stuff bought in a shop.

Mazdagirl - stand your ground, don't give this woman anything. She's a chancer and not entitled to a refund if there's nothing wrong with the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If there is no fault the customer can not just return it because she changed her mind...

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

If she insist's you have to take it back charge a restocking fee of 15% or above....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The customer in that instance is not entitled to any refund or anything basically since there is nothing wrong with the product sold.

Your sign saying that you do not give any cash refunds and only credit notes or exhanges is illegal however and conflicts with consumer statutory rights since consumers have the right to reject goods under certain circumstances thus being entitled to a refund (in cash or whatever way they paid) when those circumstances arise.
    S.11 (3) For the purposes of this section a statement to the effect that goods will not be exchanged, or that money will not be refunded, or that only credit notes will be given for goods returned, shall be treated as a statement to which subsection (1) refers unless it is so clearly qualified that it cannot be construed as applicable in circumstances in which the buyer may be seeking to exercise a right conferred by any provision of a section mentioned in subsection (1).

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

mazdagirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,
    I have worked in shops for 10 years and have never had anyone chance that one, we dont have a price match policy and it is clearly stated on the wall in the shop that we do not give cash refunds we give replacements, repair of credit note she said she will come back tomorrow with her husband looking forward to that one.

I love these people who bring "back-up" in other words, the mouthy one is coming in!

Please let us know how you get on! Don't let them bully you and give them nothing!

35notout wrote: »
    Please let us know how you get on! Don't let them bully you and give them nothing!
    Yes, there is nothing worse. OP stand your ground. If they start quoting any law tell them they can lodge a claim with the small claims court if they feel their rights have been infrindged upon (the claim won't even reach your shop).

If they stay giving out then politely ask them to leave the store (threaten to ring the gardai if necessary). Basically don't put up with their shi't but stay calm and courteous at all times (which will probably piss them off even more :D ).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

An update would be nice tomorrow :)
    Stay calm and just clearly and calmly state the stores policy and what the store has to do by law,

Your credit note sign is however illegal as already noted.

One thing though. Perhaps make up a form stating the reason they wish to return the item and have the customer sign it...Then refuse on the grounds its not a valid reason. If she is stubborn she may contact the small claims court claiming the laptop was DOA and cause you some hassle.

Saruman wrote: »
    One thing though. Perhaps make up a form stating the reason they wish to return the item and have the customer sign it...Then refuse on the grounds its not a valid reason. If she is stubborn she may contact the small claims court claiming the laptop was DOA and cause you some hassle.
    Yeah, maybe don't mention the small claims court at all. Just tell her that she has no entitlement to a refund under law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its the same as someone going into Brown Thomas and buying something which is available across the street for cheaper (not saying your shop is expensive or anything!) but its buyer beware, its her tough sh*t that she didn't shop around. Also I am sure you gave her a decent sales pitch and walk through whereas the cheaper place could be more of a larger store with no experienced personnel. Its her tough luck and stand your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nody wrote: »
    Excluding the credit part you're home free but do expect them to try to claim their "rights". I'd recommend that you print out the relevant parts from citizeninformation.ie or similar location in advance of them coming in, it will save you a lot of grief.

i second this advice. print out this page:

http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    You have no grounds for redress if

* You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    * You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    * You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    * You broke or damaged the product
    * You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    * You change your mind

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe don't mention the small claims court at all. Just tell her that she has no entitlement to a refund under law.

I was not suggesting he tell her to go to the small claims court :D The signed document was for the shop in case she does decide to go that route and lie saying the goods were faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

TBH I'd say it could make the situation worse getting the customer to sign the document, if I was asked to sign something I'd assume that the refund was being processed and then to be told that I wasn't getting one, I'd be well pi$ed off.

Remember the joke we all used to do as kids, "Do you want some sweets?" / "Well there's nothing wrong with wanting". I could well aggravate the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

I dont know much about these issues but i thought if you bought something and then simply changed your mind for no reason, that you were allowed to return it for money back up to 14 days after purchase?

Puteq wrote: »
    I dont know much about these issues but i thought if you bought something and then simply changed your mind for no reason, that you were allowed to return it for money back up to 14 days after purchase?

what on earth ever gave you that idea?

Some stores have a policy like that but its up to them. Argos or Heatons are an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

No, she has no legal entitlement here. Some stores do offer a goodwill policy, but that is at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

Saruman wrote: »
    what on earth ever gave you that idea?

sorry i dunno, i always had that impression (lucky I never had cause to test it out!), i just read the links above and see that its totally nonsense, from

http://snipurl.com/3bsp5

'You have no grounds for redress if ... You change your mind'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

give her fook all, i hate people like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

mazdagirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies,

Firstly take down that sign. If I bought a laptop off you and a day later it went on fire (like those Dell laptops) I wouldn't accept anything less then a refund. Why do you force your customers to take replacements or credit notes? Sure if you're a small busines you might shut down overnight and what good is a €1000 credit note then?
    So get rid of that sign!

In this case, tell that customer to fook off, she is only chancing it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

micmclo wrote: »

excaltly. She is 100% not entitled to a refund for changing her mind, so no matter how much she huffs and puffs when she comes back in with her husband stand your perfectly 100% legally correct ground.

It's gas the people who do their shopping around AFTER they buy something. It's quite frankly bewildering :confused::confused::confused: and no wonder such a profiteering attitude has existed here over the course of the boom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

micmclo wrote: »
    Firstly take down that sign. If I bought a laptop off you and a day later it went on fire (like those Dell laptops) I wouldn't accept anything less then a refund. Why do you force your customers to take replacements or credit notes? Sure if you're a small busines you might shut down overnight and what good is a 1000 credit note then?
    So get rid of that sign!

it doesn't really matter what you'd accept or not. Consumer law says that he's within his rights to offer a replacement or repair and if you're not happy with either you can have a judge decide

Advertisement