Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is she entitled to full refund

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it doesn't really matter what you'd accept or not. Consumer law says that he's within his rights to offer a replacement or repair and if you're not happy with either you can have a judge decide
    I think what that poster meant is that the sign would attempt to limit his rights if he had a reason to demand a full refund for a laptop purchased there which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Saruman wrote: »
    what on earth ever gave you that idea?

Some stores have a policy like that but its up to them. Argos or Heatons are an example.

AFAIK, in the UK you are legally entitled to seven days remorse, the problem is Irish people watching UK consumer TV program's and forgetting that these shows quote British law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

There is a difference between statutory rights and store policy. Statutory rights do not cover refunds for customers just changing their minds. That comes down to store policy. In this case the store policy is no refund, replacement or credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

mazdagirl wrote: »
    Hi,
    I work in a shop that sells laptops, and last week a lady bought laptop from me in the shop, this morning she comes back into the shop the laptop is fine no fault and is happy with it except she saw the exact same laptop spec and model cheaper in another shop and wants a full refund as she wants to buy the cheaper one or she wants to get refunded the difference she is calling back tomorrow once I have spoke to the manager, any replies would be gratefully accepted I don't think she is entitled to get a refund as the product is not faulty would like to hear what other people think before she comes back.

No refund.

axer wrote: »
    The customer in that instance is not entitled to any refund or anything basically since there is nothing wrong with the product sold.

Your sign saying that you do not give any cash refunds and only credit notes or exhanges is illegal however and conflicts with consumer statutory rights since consumers have the right to reject goods under certain circumstances thus being entitled to a refund (in cash or whatever way they paid) when those circumstances arise.

It is not illegal once it is qualified with: this does not affect your statutory rights

• Advertisement

It is not illegal once it is qualified with: this does not affect your statutory rights
    It is not illegal once
    it is so clearly qualified that it cannot be construed as applicable in circumstances in which the buyer may be seeking to exercise a right conferred by any provision of a section mentioned in subsection (1)
    as is in my quote of the law above.

There is no indication that the OP has "this does not affect your statutory rights" in their sign.

Thats what I said, only neater.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think what that poster meant is that the sign would attempt to limit his rights if he had a reason to demand a full refund for a laptop purchased there which is illegal.
    There is no indication that the OP has "this does not affect your statutory rights" in their sign.

Yeah, that's what I meant, you explained it better then I did :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This discussion is getting off topic is it not? The OP is just an employee and the sign has nothing to do with the original post.

The question has been answered many times over. What could we possibly be discussing in relation to that matter without repeating ourselves?

Wannabe mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You may want to watch for the development of any "mysterious faults" in the goods once the customer is advised of this decision.
    +1. I'd say the DVD drive will stop working. That, or the Windows directory will delete itself...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

any update op?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

the_syco wrote: »
    +1. I'd say the DVD drive will stop working. That, or the Windows directory will delete itself...:rolleyes:
    Which is why i suggested a form for the customer to sign :D

anyway surely by now the matter is resolved? mazdagirl is there an update?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the_syco wrote: »

repair, replace or refund at the shops discretion :)
    still gets her nothing...except being without her laptop while its being fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Puteq wrote: »
    I dont know much about these issues but i thought if you bought something and then simply changed your mind for no reason, that you were allowed to return it for money back up to 14 days after purchase?
    Gillo wrote: »
    AFAIK, in the UK you are legally entitled to seven days remorse, the problem is Irish people watching UK consumer TV program's and forgetting that these shows quote British law.

Sorry guys, you are both wrong. This 'cooling period' only applied to distance selling. EG if you buy something over the phone or of someone calls you, you sign up online and so on so forth. Going into a shop to purchase something means tough luck if you change your mind. you parted with your cash and entered into a binding agreement

On another note, this is just typical of the nonsense that I have to put up with on a daily basis. I speak with a customer, and they don't like what they're being told and before you know it someone else comes in with their 'I'll talk to this guy and give him what for' attitude. Bunch of knobs with idle threats, it doesn't get you anywhere. In fact if anything, this behavior would make me less likely to do something for them

Stick to your guns OP, and let us know the outcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Sorry guys, you are both wrong. This 'cooling period' only applied to distance selling. EG if you buy something over the phone or of someone calls you, you sign up online and so on so forth. Going into a shop to purchase something means tough luck if you change your mind. you parted with your cash and entered into a binding agreement

On another note, this is just typical of the nonsense that I have to put up with on a daily basis. I speak with a customer, and they don't like what they're being told and before you know it someone else comes in with their 'I'll talk to this guy and give him what for' attitude. Bunch of knobs with idle threats, it doesn't get you anywhere. In fact if anything, this behavior would make me less likely to do something for them

Stick to your guns OP, and let us know the outcome

I don't believe so, i signed up for a Loan inshop with Bank of Ireland, there was a cooling off period and there was a waiver to negate this also.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

craichoe wrote: »
    I don't believe so, i signed up for a Loan inshop with Bank of Ireland, there was a cooling off period and there was a waiver to negate this also.

Thats a different thing again, to do with contracts.

craichoe wrote: »
    That is something that was forced to be on the contract via the Consumer Credit Act - not applied to regular consumer contracts for sale of goods or services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

Hi Guys, cheers for all the replys,
    I had everything printed out I could find about returning goods and had all other staff informed about it, she didnt come back I think she saw a laptop cheaper somewhere else or had changed her mind about getting one and was chancing her arm at getting her money back.
    anyway thanks again for all the replies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I had everything printed out I could find about returning goods and had all other staff informed about it, she didnt come back I think she saw a laptop cheaper somewhere else or had changed her mind about getting one and was chancing her arm at getting her money back.

Sure let us know if she comes back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

This case is a bit like a man who came in with a scratched laptop(highly doubt it was as it came from manufacturer and was taken out in shop to check contents for customer) and he came back saying their was a scratch that he saw when he got home and he hadnt turned on the laptop or anything, the bloody cheek, it was restocked, discounted due to the 1mm scratch, the new customer rang in and said their was a username and password on the machine and they couldn't use it! Another case of a cstomer chancing their arm!!:mad:

Advertisement