Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with bad breath.

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

My 2 year old dog has recently developed quite bad breath. She is otherwise very healthy and is fed soley on dog kibbles. It started a few weeks ago, so I wormed her and was about to take her to the vet when the smell went away. It has recently come back, without being too gross, it smells a big like spoiled meat or as my husband puts it, 'a bit maggoty'.

Do you think this is a symptom of an underlying health problem that a vet needs to treat, or is there anything else I could try? I have tried giving her dentastix, but she doesn't really like them. I have checked her teeth and gums and they seem fine. One thing is, she doesn't seem to drink much water, so that might be contributing. Would really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Yes I would take her to a vet, bad breath not caused by the teeth or gums can sometimes be the kidneys, try to give her at least one soft meal a day (left over veg or raw fruits will do as well mine love carrots and apples) as this helps stop kidney stones as such and cititus (sorry can't spell). She should be drinking lots of water in this heat and only eating dry food. Try and check were she pees to see if there's any discoloration in it before you take her to the vet, this will be helpful to the vet. Even keep kitchen roll with you and either put it under her or put it on top of were she's gone that should help you find out.

But always check with the vet if your unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Deffo take a trip to the vet, could be a stomach problem or something else. What brand of food is she on?
    My two are on dry food only and drink a good bit well about a dog bowl full between them a day but in this weather they would drink twice that.
    Good point other poster made about kidneys.

Vet will be able to tell you more.

Advertisement