Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide in Literature

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm doing research for an article and I'm basically looking for examples of suicide in great works of literature/classic novels/ books by famous authors.

I'm looking for books where the suicide is committed by one of the main charecters and the whole motivation etc. of it is explored by the author.

So if anyone knows of any famous books like this, I would be grateful.

Also the more different kinds of suicide the better. Please however, do no post spoilers of the story in this thread.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Do Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet count?

Dorian Gray has two suicides, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Do Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet count?

Dorian Gray has two suicides, iirc.

Yes ofc. Thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anna766

The Awakening by Kate Chopin has an ambiguous ending, often interpreted as suicide. Might be a bit vague for your purposes, but it's a great book nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath features a suicide but more significantly was published a month prior to Plath's own suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Best put this in spoiler, as it would kinda ruin the book for people who havne't read it.
    Burmese Days-George Orwell
    . Basically the whole book gives reasons for the suicide, and says that suicide is common in such cases.

Edit: Not sure if this can be considered 'great', but it certainly has a famous author so maybe it will be of some use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

There is alot of suicide in Crime and Punishment also. Raskolnikov has the intention of suicide at one stage. And I'm pretty sure that another or maybe two minor characters commit suicide also (or at least attempt to). But It's been nearly 2 years since I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The Virgin Suicides
    by Jeffrey Eugenides

Not that I have read it (but after reading Middlesex I intend to) there are 5 Suicides in it from the one famaily:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Try Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. It's a really good book. Suicide is a big theme for Murakami

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The Bell Jar
    by Sylvia Plath

She’s a famous poet that killed herself in 60 something this novel is largly auto biographical (I haven’t read but I would assume she dies at the end , the manuscript was found after her death)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

Try 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt

'The Hours' by Michael Cunningham

'The Fall' by Albert Camus

'The Gathering' by Anne Enright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

Joseph Conrad is an author that deals extensively with suicide.

Lord Jim, Victory, The Secret Agent, Nostromo etc all deal with suicide of main characters.

In his fiction, 25 novels or so (excluding short stories) 15 characters commit suicide or willingly allow themselves to be killed

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

The Virgin Suicides is a brilliant book, it is interesting as it is told from the point of view of a group of boys who knew the girls. Really beautiful prose. It is quite a haunting book in some ways. I must have read it ten times at least.

Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coehlo is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Omg people, L2use the spoiler flags! Jeez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Anna Karenina starts and ends with similar suicides.
    . And it's a bloody brilliant book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. And I refuse to believe that there's anyone in the world who doesn't know how that one ends...

ETA, I'm just after spotting IvyTheTerrible's post...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Bell Jar
    by Sylvia Plath

She’s a famous poet that killed herself in 60 something this novel is largly auto biographical (I haven’t read but I would assume she dies at the end , the manuscript was found after her death)

Not true, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it was published before her suicide. She published it under a pseudonym as she based most of the characters on real people and didn't want them to know. It was only after her death that it was published under her own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

The Drowning Tree; and The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

John wrote: »
    Not true, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it was published before her suicide. She published it under a pseudonym as she based most of the characters on real people and didn't want them to know. It was only after her death that it was published under her own name.

Yes and what a brilliant book. The film "Sylvia" is also very good and gynweth palthrow plays the part well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Children of Húrin
    by J. R. R. Tolkien. Or shorter versions of the story in The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Good story if you're into the Middle-earth world.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. And I refuse to believe that there's anyone in the world who doesn't know how that one ends...

I didn't actually know. But spoilers don't really work in a thread like this as you have uncover spoilers to know which book is being mentioned anyway or else there's no point in opening the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

Waiting Period - Hubert Selby Jr.

Starts off with a guy contemplating suicide and develops from there into a pretty good read.

You can search Amazon by tag (suicide)
    but that kind of takes the fun out of the thread doesn't it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Snow by Orhan Pamuk.
    Set in Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Veronika decides to die - Paulo Coehlo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Les Mis, when the fellow jumps off the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

There's a suicide at the start of 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower', but it's nothing major to the plot, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

BossArky wrote: »
    Les Mis, when the fellow jumps off the bridge.

Javert.

I read Les Miserables when I was going through an uber-nerdy phase with the musical. Goood Lord, but it's boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I read Les Miserables when I was going through an uber-nerdy phase with the musical. Goood Lord, but it's boring!
    It really helps if you skip over the 200 odd pages devoted to what life in convents is like and the entire section on argot. I like going off on tangents as much as the next guy but Hugo made a career out of it. Which is ironic as he and his publisher are famed for the briefest correspondence exchange in history - when either Les Mis was published, Hugo wondered how his book was selling. He sent a message to his publisher that just read "?" The reply he got back just read "!". See, short tangents can be semi-amusing, take note Mr Hugo.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. Basically about a group of people who all have the same idea to jump off the same building at the same time. They all meet, decided not to go through with it at that point, and the book is a 'what happened next' kind of thing. It's OK, not great - typical Hornby really.

I'd echo the poster who suggested Haruki Murakami - most of his books have some kind of suicide theme, even if only implied. I supposed it's an understandable preoccupation for a Japanese post-War author. Norwegian Wood is probably the most accessible and most pertinent place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy has one of its three main characters committing suicide.
    Danny Upshaw kills himself because he's been found out as an undercover cop and he thinks he's been framed for the murder of another cop. He kills himself by slitting his throat open with a kitch blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

The Sorrows of Young Werther was said to have inspired several suicides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I know she's a very minor character, but
    Retty Priddle tries to commit suicide after she realises she'll never have Angel Clare
    in Tess of the D'Urbervilles.
    Martin Vanger commits suicide when he drives into a truck after escaping Lisbeth and Mikael in his sex dungeon where he had trapped Mikael,
    in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Sorry, very complicated sentence.

Advertisement