Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide in Literature

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Javert.

I read Les Miserables when I was going through an uber-nerdy phase with the musical. Goood Lord, but it's boring!

Couldn't disagree more! Well, there was a very dull 200 pages or so around the half way mark, but by and large I loved that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert
    Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes (actually deals with Slyvia Plath's suicide unlike the Bell Jar.)
    MacBeth, Julius Caesar and Hamlet all have suicides in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Denerick wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more! Well, there was a very dull 200 pages or so around the half way mark, but by and large I loved that book.
    If you buy a penguin version they usually shove those two sections to the back and pretend that Hugo didn't go off on one half-way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Beach Music by Pat Conroy, amazing book, starts with the line, " The dark subconscious of her mind, sounded the death knell for her time on earth"....Deals with the main character coming to grips with the death/suicide of his childhood sweetheart, which intriguingly connects with her parents time spent in World War 2 Germany.
    This book evoked such emotions for me, ive yet to come across another book like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Jude the Obscure
    Sophie's Choice
    Patriotism (Mishima)
    Mrs. Dalloway
    The House of Mirth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

Anna Karenina - by Leo Tolstoy
    Eustacia in The Return of the Native - by Thomas Hardy

Advertisement