Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need to have studied Irish before to join the guards???

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi My Question is Do you need to have learned Irish in Primary/secondary school to join the guards???? I moved to ireland when i was 10 years old and i was exempt from Irish ( i have a form to say i am) BUt at the same time do you think i need irish to help me get picked if i get as far as the selection process??? Or will i be able to learn the basis when i get picked and go to the garda college in templemore???

AND ALSO

Im 21 Do you think this would be the right age to join the guards???
    I have always wanted to join the guards but just wanted to go to college to study business, i just felt i was to young and inmature to join right then!!!

What do you think???? Please Help

Thanks,
    Audi2008:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Candidate must have obtained, in the Leaving Certificate Examination:

(a) A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and

(b) A qualifying grade in two languages, one of which must be English or Irish, as follows:

English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level,
    Irish : a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level,
    Other language : a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and

(c) A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than two other subjects
    Or
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate,
    Or
    Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality& Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.

You need a grade (as above) in English or Irish + another language, or the outlined grades in English and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

I have those grades in English and also French so i don't need to do any irish then?? Is that right:D???

To apply you don't need Gaelic, as stated. If you get down to the College then you'll still have to study it as well as european languages.

Have a look at the year book here for info on the syllabus.

I'd suggest it'd still be an idea to study the basics if/when you get through selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

I didn't have Irish, i had english and french.

Its tough but they accomodate you. There is beginners irish classes down the college and the staff are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Or you can have also just have English and Irish if you don't have French,German etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

What about if even after studying irish from the age of 4 your still brutal will they let you in the beginners class? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Hi Metman

Thanks for that copy of the year book.... Very Handy....
    But i was just wondering if you could help me out???
    I was wondering are you in the training stages or what???:)

Audi, if you've a specific question post away, if I can't help one of the other posters on here will assist I'm sure.

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    What about if even after studying irish from the age of 4 your still brutal will they let you in the beginners class? :p

Ohhh sounds like some one else is in the same boat as me :P :D

Oh yes d3 in pass is as well as im going to do (just under a week till results uh oh)

Have french so im grand for education requirements

• Advertisement

:D..Even without French you're still grand ;) you've passed English and Irish.

Very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

What about Japanese? I hope to have gotten a B2 in Japanese for the LC. Can you study that instead of a european language?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

What about Japanese? I hope to have gotten a B2 in Japanese for the LC. Can you study that instead of a european language?

The requirements for languages are:

qualifying grade in two languages, one of which must be English or Irish, as follows:

English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level,

Irish : a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level,

Other language : a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level,

It doesn't say your other language must be a European language, so I'd say that Japanese is fine once you have Either Irish or English aswel.
    However you will have to study either French or German aswel as Irish in Templemore if you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sarah C

If you dont have a leaving cert when applying for the guards,are there any other ways around that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sarah C

If you dont have a leaving cert when applying for the guards,what can ya do??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Unfortunately there is no way around it. There are minimum requirements and leaving cert is a must as you need 2 languages. Check out the Garda Recruitment forum there is alot of information in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

sarah C wrote: »
    If you dont have a leaving cert when applying for the guards,are there any other ways around that??
    sarah C wrote: »
    If you dont have a leaving cert when applying for the guards,what can ya do??;)
    You could repeat!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

metman wrote: »
    To apply you don't need Gaelic, as stated. If you get down to the College then you'll still have to study it as well as european languages.

Have a look at the year book here for info on the syllabus.

I'd suggest it'd still be an idea to study the basics if/when you get through selection.

Although you posted four months ago, cheers Metman, never knew there was a marked Collision Investigation Unit [Ford Galaxy]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

donvito99 wrote: »
    Although you posted four months ago, cheers Metman, never knew there was a marked Collision Investigation Unit [Ford Galaxy]
    Ironically the collision investigation Unit was on rte news attending the crash in tipp, they did a close up of it and a traffic corps car on blues and twos

• Advertisement
Advertisement