Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend someone for damp-proof treatment?

• 05-08-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone here can personally recommend a good outfit to damp-proof a few walls. I have damp on two party walls, and got it treated by a cowboy over a year ago- there was a slight improvement in some areas, but still damp there. He has since left the country, so I'm looking for someone reputable now :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sent you a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gman2k wrote: »
    sent you a pm
    Good man. Thats the way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Cheers, got that, will check it out. Thanks. Just wondering, why is PM the way to pass on such info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

lukester wrote: »
    Cheers, got that, will check it out. Thanks. Just wondering, why is PM the way to pass on such info?
    Naming of companies and/or individuals is against the rules as it can lead to spamming or shilling. It's well covered in the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

Can i getthis information also please as i have damp on two walls maybe a third ..PLEASE PM ME ..
    thanks alot ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Schooby

I spent several years working at this craic in UK and Ireland.

I'll come back with justifications if needed but for a short comment the following are facts.

Chemical injected remedial DPC's do not work.

check out the small print you have to get the wall dry in order for the DPC to become effective, if you can get the wall dry why do you want a remedial DPC?

electomagnetic Remedial DPC's are a scam you will be told if you query this that no body has proved that they don't work, this is true but you would be poorly served if this was the logic you based your decision on.

99.9% of the time where either of the systems appears to work is through the use of remedial plasters with salt inhibitors and waterproof additives and/or fixing the leaking gutter/high ground level/poorly detailed solid floor etc.

If you are seeking professional advice, do not seek it off someone selling a product, seek it off someone selling independent advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Schooby wrote: »
    If you are seeking professional advice, do not seek it off someone selling a product, seek it off someone selling independent advice.
    Good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

Abso-bloody-lutely. And make sure the "consultant" confirms to you in writing that s/he has no product to sell and no connection to any company that does have a product to sell. Anyone can call themselves a consultant, even though some of them are no more than salemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Chemical injected remedial DPC's do not work.

check out the small print you have to get the wall dry in order for the DPC to become effective, if you can get the wall dry why do you want a remedial DPC?

99.9% of the time where either of the systems appears to work is through the use of remedial plasters with salt inhibitors and waterproof additives and/or fixing the leaking gutter/high ground level/poorly detailed solid floor etc.

Cheers for the advice.

I already had the DPC injected into the walls, 2 years ago, by my disappearing act builder, and the damp has not gone away. It's funny, I spoke to a friend yesterday who's an engineer, didn't realise he'd worked on stuff like this too, and he said pretty much what you did, that injected DPCs don't work, and the best solution is some kind of waterproof plaster, he mentioned something called Thoroseal (think that's it, had to Google it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Schooby

waterproof plasters can have their own problems, weak points, try fixing anything through them sockets etc, and watch what happens

if possible in the location of the problem consider the solution used for a few hundred years, wainscotting, effectively a ventilated dry lineing to dado level, can be done to ceiling or even a vented skirting detail depending on extent/severity of the problem, ensure you isolate any timber from the wet masonry with brickies DPC not polythene across the whole area

good ventilation of any sub floor void adjacent will allow evaporation of water from the base of the walls and take the pressure off higher up

• Advertisement
Advertisement