Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

NADA wrote: »
    To be fair. Pants is the accepted word for trousers all over Britain, America and Ireland with the exception of Dublin.

Its the acceptable word for trousers used by culchies who still eat bread with sugar you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

couldn't be bothered reading through 27 pages to see if this has already been said, but I now find myself saying "movie" instead of film more and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

I hate when people on this board use the term 'douche bag'....this phrase has never been used in Ireland and now there are a few retards trying to bring it in. Leave it to the Yanks please you idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've heard the term 'thru' used a number of times. "Monday thru Friday"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Overheal wrote: »
    BurgerKingFailSign_02.jpg

That is one of the saddest displays of illiteracy I have seen in quite a while

No, the fact that Burger King is out of 'meet' is the saddest thing ever! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I've heard the term 'thru' used a number of times. "Monday thru Friday"
    I'm not much bothered thru this thing.. :p

However Monday thru Friday sounds a little weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MelanieD

Every time my sister in laws calls my daughter 'Sweetie' I cringe:eek:

It's all thanks to Friends.

MelanieD wrote: »
    Every time my sister in laws calls my daughter 'Sweetie' I cringe:eek:

No, a Friends like scenario would be them constantly "on a break" and your sister would have to be ridiculously hot and your brother's head would have to resemble The Fonz on a bad day.

Tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

MelanieD wrote: »
    Every time my sister in laws calls my daughter 'Sweedie' I cringe:eek:

FYP

Alicat wrote: »
    FYP

Sweet Jebus would you ever do some work. Fecking over-paid Chemists.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

The 'mom' business is a bit irritating especially when its drawn out in an american twang. Its very prevalent in Cork especially among the college girls. Not so noticeable where i'm from as you'd be made a holy show of if you started to say it. Anyway my mother is a mammy not a mom!!! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

thermo66 wrote: »
    The 'mom' business is a bit irritating especially when its drawn out in an american twang. Its very prevalent in Cork especially among the college girls. Not so noticeable where i'm from as you'd be made a holy show of if you started to say it. Anyway my mother is a mammy not a mom!!! :P

I met a girl from Cork on holiday back in July or so, and holy-sh*t she sounded like Paris Hilton or something. Every sentence ending in a question? I knew that craic went on in Dublin but didn't realise it had spread to the nouveau-riche of Cork too.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I met a girl from Cork on holiday back in July or so, and holy-sh*t she sounded like Paris Hilton or something. Every sentence ending in a question? I knew that craic went on in Dublin but didn't realise it had spread to the nouveau-riche of Cork too.
    Oh yeah its a bit sickening really. Was sitting in a lecture before it started last week and the conversation behind us was straight out of 90210. My friend and I just looked at each other and laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

thermo66 wrote: »

Meh the 'mom' thing is very much an Irish thing, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I know people from all over Ireland who use it.

janeybabe wrote: »
    Meh the 'mom' thing is very much an Irish thing, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I know people from all over Ireland who use it.
    Haven't read all the posts. It definitely isn't a traditional irish phrase. I'm presuming your quite young? You think it is because its entered into the present irish conversation. I'm sure its used all over Ireland. Americanisms aren't relegated to one area unfortunately.

Advertisement