Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Rage the Greek Way

Options
  • 05-08-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I thought I had seen the worst in road rage here in Ireland, but then I came across this Mercedes Benz driver in Greek last weekend and I must say: thank God we don't have drivers like him here in Ireland (or I haven't seen them yet).

I was driving on a 3 lane motorway on the left lane (overtaking lane) at the speed limit with the right and middle lane being full and a car in front of me overtaking as well. Up behind comes a Mercedes driver, flashing his lights, to get out of his way.
    I couldn't go out of his way, even if I wanted to, as to my right was the car I was overtaking and in front of me another car. So I just sit there and he tailgates me.
    After I passed the car on the right, I thought he would just overtake me and go on, but now he opens his windows and shouts some abuse at me (at least that what it looks like, as I couldn't understand anything). I just laughed at him and here he seemed to has lost it. He cuts me off and breaks me down to around 80, all the way shouting and waving his arms like mad (I think he wanted me to stop at the hard shoulder). I finally see and opening on the right lane and go in there, but he keeps in front of me again. So I speed up and overtake him and then pulling in behind a truck. He then tailgates me again and suddenly undertakes me on the hard shoulder, while sticking his head out of the window, shouting at me (at around 90 km/h).
    So it goes on for around 10-20 kilometers until he suddenly speeds up an seems to get away, just to wait for me after the toll station. It seems he was afraid that the police could stand there and see him. After I'm past the toll station, he continues again until we come to the next exit, which I take. But instead on continuing on his way, he follows me down the exit and continues his tailgating. At some stage I'm able to get away a little bit from him, but unfortunately he catches up with me on the next traffic lights. He gets out of the car comes over and shouts some more at me (no idea what, as I don't speak Greek). That at least seems to have calmed him down, as he then just turned around and left.

</Rant over>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

mdebets wrote: »
    I thought I had seen the worst in road rage here in Ireland, but then I came across this Mercedes Benz driver in Greek last weekend and I must say: thank God we don't have drivers like him here in Ireland (or I haven't seen them yet).

I was driving on a 3 lane motorway on the left lane (overtaking lane) at the speed limit with the right and middle lane being full and a car in front of me overtaking as well. Up behind comes a Mercedes driver, flashing his lights, to get out of his way.
    I couldn't go out of his way, even if I wanted to, as to my right was the car I was overtaking and in front of me another car. So I just sit there and he tailgates me.
    After I passed the car on the right, I thought he would just overtake me and go on, but now he opens his windows and shouts some abuse at me (at least that what it looks like, as I couldn't understand anything). I just laughed at him and here he seemed to has lost it. He cuts me off and breaks me down to around 80, all the way shouting and waving his arms like mad (I think he wanted me to stop at the hard shoulder). I finally see and opening on the right lane and go in there, but he keeps in front of me again. So I speed up and overtake him and then pulling in behind a truck. He then tailgates me again and suddenly undertakes me on the hard shoulder, while sticking his head out of the window, shouting at me (at around 90 km/h).
    So it goes on for around 10-20 kilometers until he suddenly speeds up an seems to get away, just to wait for me after the toll station. It seems he was afraid that the police could stand there and see him. After I'm past the toll station, he continues again until we come to the next exit, which I take. But instead on continuing on his way, he follows me down the exit and continues his tailgating. At some stage I'm able to get away a little bit from him, but unfortunately he catches up with me on the next traffic lights. He gets out of the car comes over and shouts some more at me (no idea what, as I don't speak Greek). That at least seems to have calmed him down, as he then just turned around and left.

</Rant over>

LOL.Sounds bizarre really.If he was in such a hurry to be bombing down the motorway in his merc, he wouldnt have wasted all that time, and petrol presumably, chasing you down and shouting abuse.Did you get a pcture??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Irish drivers are angels in comparison to the Greeks. I was in Athens in 2004 for the Olympics. I was waiting at lights to cross the road at the main square (can't remember the name, it's opposite the houses of parliament). Anyway there were a line of cars stopped at the red light. As they do the motorbikes were trying to weave their way in between the cars to get to the front of the queue when one motorcyclist was a little too enthusiastic with the throttle and scraped ithe side of an old E300.

The Merc driver immediatley jumped out of the car and started hurling abuse at the guy on the motorbike. The guy on the motorbike then returned the abuse without hesitation. This went on for a few minutes when the Merc driver showed the palm of his hand to the motorcyclist. This is apparantly the greatest insult you can give a Greek person and it caused the guy to hop off his bike and onto the bonnet of the Merc from where he tried to kick the windscreen in. The Merc driver wasn't having any of this so he rugby tackles the guy off the bonnet and onto the road, at which stage the traffic is now flowing around them, and they proceed to have a proper fist fight UFC style whislt rolling around in traffic! Luckly for both parties the police stationed outside the Parliament building saw the comotion and arrived on scene to break up the fight. Crazy people!

Advertisement