Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saxophone lessons

Options
  • 05-08-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

i'm new to this so i hope i'm not breaking any rules
    i'm looking for saxophone lessons in mayo/galway area
    i've never even held a saxaphone but have always wanted to play it
    is it a hard instrument to learn to play? and are they expensive
    i never played any instrument
    any advice on lessons... where they are and would they suit someone like me with no muuisical experience
    cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

moved to the galway city forum may get more traffic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Urgh... saxophone... yuck! If you want to torture people just join the CIA!

I know a guy from tuam who played in a brass band though... I'll send him a link to this, see if he knows anyone... just promise not to play near me!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We had a guy in our band play the Sax...said his cost €6000 and he is only 18!

It's a lovely instrument, hope to take it up in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm pretty sure that they do one to one sax lessons for adults in GTI on Father Griffin Road in Galway( www.gti.ie ). They start music lessons in September/October as part of their usual night classes etc. I know someone who started as a beginner on the sax there a few years ago and he thought highly of the teacher and the lessons. I think that he found them reasonably priced too.Ring them and enquire.

You should check the prices of saxophones themselves online and see if you can afford one. I think they were selling one in Lidl a few months ago. Pity you missed that .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

chilly wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that they do one to one sax lessons for adults in GTI on Father Griffin Road in Galway( www.gti.ie ). They start music lessons in September/October as part of their usual night classes etc. I know someone who started as a beginner on the sax there a few years ago and he thought highly of the teacher and the lessons. I think that he found them reasonably priced too.Ring them and enquire.

If you're considering the classes in GTI for September you'd be as well to enquire about them immediately as they book out incredibly quickly. If it's the same teacher as when I took classes, he's a French lad that plays (assuming they're still going) with the Black Magic Big Band. Lovely fella and infinitely patient.

And if you're looking for an inexpensive learners sax I'd recommend going into Powell's in the middle of town. There's one for around 900 euro in the window, but a much less expensive one in the actual shop in a glass case to the left just before the stairs. Alternatively, there's a music shop opposite Murphy's Bar. If you stand with your back to the bar and look up you'll see a row of saxophones. Might be worth a nose around.

Best of luck with it anyway. Hope you stick at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'll be moving back to Galway in september and I can teach ya a bit of sax (or trumpet) if ya like :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MI Security

Hi
    I play with bands in Galway and this is something I used to do and am going to start up again.
    If you are still interested in lessons in Galway please email me on
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Lessons to be held in galway at my work place after 6pm monday tues or thurs
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The first poster has hopefully found a place by now, 2 years later.
    Should anyone be interested they can contact above poster by PM.
    Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement