Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Electives FAQ

• 05-08-2008 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

I thought this might be nice idea seeing as registration is soon and electives always cause problems for people. There were quite a few new Boards members in the leaving cert forum and I assume some will be migrating over to here.

There were sporadic threads with specific questions concerning electives. It seemed like a good idea to combine answers in one place. I tried to think (and find) as many Q & A’s as possible.

What are electives?
    UCD site wrote:
    With Horizons, each degree is made up of a number of modules, normally 12 per year. 10 out of 12 modules will be in your core areas of study - some compulsory, others as options. Stage 1 and 2 of most modular programmes allow you to choose 2 elective modules (representing 10 credits). Elective modules can be taken from within your main subject area to deepen your learning or outside it if you want to broaden your horizons. The choice is yours.

I’m a first year Arts/Science student. Do I HAVE to take electives?
    In the technical sense of selecting modules from the elective page? No. You may select 60 credits from core and option modules.

I am in year (X). Can I take an elective from year (Y)?
    Yes. There are no level limits for electives. Except for masters level & level 0 (see below).

OH MY GOD!!!! I’m loike in my final year, are you totalllllllllllllly sure I can do a first year elective??????
    YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Do electives affect my GPA (Grade Point Average)?
    Yes. All modules, of equal credit value, have equal weighting when calculating Stage GPAs. (Basically: core, option, and electives count equally as long as they have the same credit value)

I’m in year 2 and I want to take a Level 0 module as one of my electives...
    Yes, provided you have not already taken 10 credits of Level 0 modules (10 is the maximum number of Level 0 modules).

What are the barriers in choosing an elective?
    1. Pre/co – requisites. You’ll find them in the module descriptor. I.E: You can’t take Calculus II without taking Calculus I first. [Further info on this below]
    2. Timetable! If you can’t fit it in your timetable, you can’t do it.
    3. A free space in the elective. If an elective is overbooked then places will be allocated by lottery.
    What if I fail an elective?
    As long as you have at least 50 credits by the end of the academic year you can proceed to the next stage. You will have to repeat the module you failed or you may select another module in its place.

How can I search the different modules offered in UCD? I’d like to look for possible electives.
    By following this link.

I’m going into my final year and I need to improve my GPA - What are some easy electives?
    Well, that depends on the student really. I, personally, would recommend ECON10030 Intro to Quantitative Economics. If you can differentiate (calculus) then you’re in line for an A+. For the second elective I’d recommend STAT10010 or an introductory languages class.

What is technically meant by those requisite thingys?

Pre-Requisites – students must have passed the modules listed as prerequisites in order to enrol for the module, or have achieved the required learning outcomes in approved equivalent modules or in some other way acceptable to the School

Required Modules – students have taken the modules listed as required modules in order to enrol for the module, or have attempted the required learning outcomes in approved equivalent modules or in some other way acceptable to the School

Co-Requisites – students must also take or have taken the modules listed as co-requisites in order to enrol for the module, or attempt the required learning outcomes in approved equivalent modules or in some other way acceptable to the School

Incompatible Modules – students cannot be awarded credit for the module and also be awarded credit for any of the modules listed as incompatible modules because of the similarity of their learning outcomes

Exclusions – students cannot be awarded credit for this module if they have already achieved similar educational outcomes in higher, further or secondary education as specified by the exclusion

Module requirements – students must have satisfied these requirements, which could include a minimum overall performance at earlier stages of the programme expressed as a required GPA, or a minimum performance at second level in a specified subject or subjects

Recommendations – students are recommended, but not required, to have the prior learning specified in the recommendation; this may include a recommendation to take or have taken certain modules or to have achieved the associated learning outcomes in some other way, or a recommendation expressed in more general terms of the prior learning.

Can I take an extra elective? (Extra credit module)
    Yes, you can in fact take two (two 5 credit modules). Academic regulations state that students may take 70 credits in one academic year. However, you may only take 40 credits in a single semester.

From 5.30 of the academic regulations:
    An undergraduate student may register for additional modules beyond the normal requirements of their programme, provided they do not exceed the acceptable course loads of 40 ECTS credits in a single semester and 70 ECTS credits in a two-semester academic session. The additional modules may take two forms:

1) Programme modules, where the student takes additional modules from within the approved programme of study for the degree for which the student is registered.

2) Extra credit, where the additional modules do not form part of the approved programme of study for the degree for which the student is registered.

What are the costs involved in taking extra electives?
    1. 2007/2008 monetary cost was €335 per module.
    2. More importantly there is a time cost. You’ll have less of it.
    3. Receiving funny looks from people whom you tell that you’re taking extra credit. Omit that from conversation when exams roll around ;)

Do extra electives count towards my GPA?
    Yes and No. In the large scale of things they do not affect the GPA of your degree (Whether you get a I.I, II.I, etc). They will appear on your transcript, however, with the % achieved.

I’m a final year student. Can I take a Masters module?
    There is no specific guideline on this. It’s down to the department and your situation. You’ll need to talk to the head of your department. There is also a cost in choosing a Masters module.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

I thank you for this thread, sticky it someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good post, agree it should be stickied now.

Just one question I have. When choosing an elective, I dont have to choose a core module from the area I'm looking at, do I? I'm fairly certain I can pick anything(core or options), but had some trouble with core/options last year, and dont want same again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

When choosing an elective, I dont have to choose a core module from the area I'm looking at, do I? I'm fairly certain I can pick anything(core or options), but had some trouble with core/options last year, and dont want same again.
    I think you're asking if there are restrictions as to modules that don't allow people to choose it as an elective? I.E: It's restricted to people only as a core/option.

Some modules don't have elective slots allocated (e.g. First year accounting). You'll know how many elective slots there are when you do a time search on the module, you'll see that tab when you're registering.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    I think you're asking if there are restrictions as to modules that don't allow people to choose it as an elective? I.E: It's restricted to people only as a core/option.

Some modules don't have elective slots allocated (e.g. First year accounting). You'll know how many elective slots there are when you do a time search on the module, you'll see that tab when you're registering.

I'll try give an example, but I'll use 2nd History(08/09 modules) as an example. Disregard the fact I'm doin history, pretend I do Law or whatever. There are 4 core modules in 2nd History, none of which I wanna take, but in the option list, there is one, say Sport in Modern Society module. But to do a history module as ane elective, I dont have to do one of the core modules, do I?

Also, that sucks bout the accounting...I was gonna do it!

You can take that elective without taking those four core. Core modules are just for people taking the subject in the 'degree parameters', I.E: they must take those modules defined by the school, and pass them, to be conferred with a B.A. in History.

That module Sport & Modern Society (HIS20570) has no prerequisites (at least none on the site yet) so anyone can take it, as long as there's a free space. When you're looking for an elective just look for the prerequisites in the 'Am I eligable to take this module' section.

Also, there is an accounting module called 'Accounting for non-business students' or something that has elective places. I was talking about the one commerce take.

• Advertisement

You can take that elective without taking those four core. Core modules are just for people taking the subject in the 'degree parameters', I.E: they must take those modules defined by the school, and pass them, to be conferred with a B.A. in History.

That module Sport & Modern Society (HIS20570) has no prerequisites (at least none on the site yet) so anyone can take it, as long as there's a free space. When you're looking for an elective just look for the prerequisites in the 'Am I eligable to take this module' section.

Also, there is an accounting module called 'Accounting for non-business students' or something that has elective places. I was talking about the one commerce take.

Ah alright, thats cool! Just what I thought, but thanks for confirming it. Roll on registration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Excellent post, UCD_econ. Well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Which elective is the sexuality one? I've seen books in the library; Disabled sex Do's and Don'ts mmmmmm. . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

A couple of things I ought to mention, regarding Programme vs. Extra Credit electives is:
    - when searching for suitable electives during registration, there is a "programme only" check box that does what it says: a search returns only electives that are in your programme;
    - In-Programme students get priority over Extra Credit students for any given course - that is, you should never be turned away from a Programme elective. Places not used by In-Programme students are released for Extra Credit students, later.
    - if you choose Programme electives only, then I'm fairly sure that you're safe from scheduling conflicts, with lectures or exams.

BrightEyes wrote: »
    Which elective is the sexuality one? I've seen books in the library; Disabled sex Do's and Don'ts mmmmmm. . . . .
    There's a few with that type of title: SPOL20060 - Sexual & Reproductive Health, HIS30190 - Sexuality and Society,ENG30480 - Reading Gender and Sexuality, and maybe ENG20480 - Sex, Politics&Irish Stage :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Do masters students take electives? If they do what level can they choose from?
    Thanks

As far as I am aware there are no taught masters courses that include the ‘electives’ type option of the horizons programme. I’ve heard of people auditing courses in areas like mathematics and statistics, but not for credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

thanks

Just posting to bring this to the front page - people asking questions already answered here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Can you take modules above your level? A first year taking a level 2 module for example.

Zounds wrote: »
    Can you take modules above your level? A first year taking a level 2 module for example.

Already answered in the first post - hence why I posted to move it to the front page.
    I am in year (X). Can I take an elective from year (Y)?
    Yes. There are no level limits for electives. Except for masters level & level 0 (see below).
    So yes you can as long as you fulfil any prerequisites.

Read the thing first, people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Oh, thanks. Sorry about that, I scanned it looking for numbers and missed it because of the generalising.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

Damn , I thought today was the elective reg day :p oops, 26th it is for Arts. I'm interested in what people said about doing electives from your programme, looks better for future employers etc.

I was looking just to pick an easy Geography 1st year one but might look into doing one from my history programme now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

My query is about when a module is oversubscribed - I belive it goes in to a lottery type thing. But is this not unfair on the people who really want that module & need it for their progression & not because they want to do an 'easy' elective (as seen on easy elective thread)

For example I'm doing sceince omnibus with a hope of doing geology - I have to & want to do all those electives, but will be very disappointed if I don't get it because someone from another programme (out of science) gets a place on it above me or others in my situation.

By choosing geology as an elective you're going down the "go deeper" option which is different than, say, someone from Arts wanting to take a geology elective. Go deeper means that electives are given on a first come, first served, basis for people in that programme. So you should get what you want. The person from Arts would be on the "go broader" field - subject to the lottery approach.

If you really want that elective (presuming you're not going into first year) wait up until around half 2 tonight and register for it - I believe Science electives are chosen tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

By choosing geology as an elective you're going down the "go deeper" option which is different than, say, someone from Arts wanting to take a geology elective. Go deeper means that electives are given on a first come, first served, basis for people in that programme. So you should get what you want. The person from Arts would be on the "go broader" field - subject to the lottery approach.

If you really want that elective (presuming you're not going into first year) wait up until around half 2 tonight and register for it - I believe Science electives are chosen tomorrow?

Thanks for that. The 'go deeper' thing sounds like that will be my saviour! Im going into first year, the way it is looking im hoping to pick the 3 geology modules with 2 chem, 4 maths & 3 physics so they are my 12 so I hope I get them all!

Also on a side note, in a bit of a pickle over my fees (another story) if I dont get them paid in time (module reg is from 29th) can I still pick my modules or is it only after you have paid your fees? thanks.

Geo08 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The 'go deeper' thing sounds like that will be my saviour! Im going into first year, the way it is looking im hoping to pick the 3 geology modules with 2 chem, 4 maths & 3 physics so they are my 12 so I hope I get them all!

Also on a side note, in a bit of a pickle over my fees (another story) if I dont get them paid in time (module reg is from 29th) can I still pick my modules or is it only after you have paid your fees? thanks.
    Just register for them as Core and options. You might not need to use the electives page.

I'm fairly certain you can still pick your modules without paying before then. I think the only consequence is that you can't pick up your student card. I'm not 100% sure on that, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jc07 4lyf

Hey,,

Looking for some advice on any electives that would be anyway intertwined with emergency medicine and trauma/prehospital medicine, im looking for ones that arent confined to ambulance service members!

Many Thanks!

Advertisement