Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30% hike in crèche fees :(

Options
  • 05-08-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Our crèche informed us this morning that they were increasing fees by 30% from next week due to increasing overhead, this will mean (for us) our crèche overhead raising by nearly €1600 per year... Our monthly child minding overhead will now go from €800 per month to €960

Ours is only in there five mornings per week but there's many more kids (& families with more than one) going to be paying a whole lot more...

Unfortunately if we complain or threaten to take her out, they'll probably fill her spot tomorrow...

Recession or not, crèche seems to be the industry to be in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

im sorry your creche has increased its fees, but like they seem to have old you its caused by overheads. trust me when i say this but there are very few privately owned creches turning big profits (if any) the cost of wages is one of the most highest overheads a creche will have to bear. if you were to break down what you pay monthly into an hourly rate and compare this to the minium hourly rate, it really isnt any comparision.

people regulary complain about creches but the fault of the system lies more with the government, in most other eu countries pre school childcare is free or at least subsidised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Hi Imax - thats really awful - its hard enough being a working parent without increases like that, i would love to say try shopping around but i know what its like when you get your child settled somwhere

best of luck with future overtime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just to add the note that most créche workers are horribly poorly paid. My sister worked in one after graduating with a degree in early childcare and a diploma in créche management and still ditched it to go back to working in a local newsagents when she needed to save some cash for travelling because the unskilled shop work was better paid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I really feel for you iMax.
    Facing the same decision about moving our daughter to another creche because of increase in fees and reduction in services.
    How they can justify 30% though, I don't know. That's scandalous.

Advertisement