Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

just passed! do i have to wait for my license now?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Just passed the test! horray! now i have a certificate proving i passed. If i was stopped by a guard could i still be fined for driving without a full license? il be sending away for the license asap but just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fguihen wrote: »
    Just passed the test! horray! now i have a certificate proving i passed. If i was stopped by a guard could i still be fined for driving without a full license? il be sending away for the license asap but just wondering.
    Congrats on passing, but in the eyes of the law, until you send your pass slip, money, and 5 Kellog Cornflake tokens, you're still a learner driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

lol I waited about 7 months before sending off the certificate because the tester (and insurance company) told me that day I could now legally drive on motorways/on my own/etc. Are you all saying they were both wrong?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Send your cert off now - you hear the odd story every now and then of someone who let it sit around for two years and had to do the test again. :eek: Take a celebratory half day and go down to the motor tax office in person. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

took a half day to take the test! cant take the full day! il get it sent off this week though. thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Red Alert wrote: »
    Send your cert off now - you hear the odd story every now and then of someone who let it sit around for two years and had to do the test again. :eek: Take a celebratory half day and go down to the motor tax office in person. :)

Take this advice, and when you hand it in at the window have them check that everything is in order. They aren't very helpful if you're not standing in front of them. They'll just post all the forms and everything else back with no licence if you forget to inital the right bit, date the correct line, sign the right places hand in the right bits of paper etc. etc. etc.

So far this year I've had to deal with the Motor Tax three times, once for licence and once each for tax on two vehicles and have had everything sent back to me each time with some tiny error or omission highlighted. In two of the three cases the error was totally beyond my control and I was given no prior instruction on how to avoid it. They're a royal pain in the neck... unless you're standing there politely insisting you'd like to do everything possible to solve the problem now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

+1.

Same thing happened to me, on one occasion after I'd corrected things and sent it back they found another mistake and bounced it back to me again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

AFAIK You haven't got your license until you have the receipt/license in your hand. So therefore aren't legally entitled to drive as a fully licensed driver... Do you think an insructor would let you drive his car with a theory test cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

i see your point, but be fair, a full license cert proves the tester has tested your theory and practical driving knowledge. its not really compariable with a theory cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

fguihen wrote: »
    i see your point, but be fair, a full license cert proves the tester has tested your theory and practical driving knowledge. its not really compariable with a theory cert.

To my mind it's exactly the same.... Passing the test only allows you to apply for your license. You haven't got it yet, simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This info is in the accompanying driver etc thread.
    Q.
    Does the Certificate of competancy entitle you to drive unaccompanied?
    A.
    Dear Alan,

I refer to your query regarding the a certificate of competency.

A person driving while they hold a certificate of competency must be accompanied by a qualified driver. When they have this certificate exchanged for a full driving licence they do not need to be accompanied.

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Red Alert wrote: »
    you hear the odd story every now and then of someone who let it sit around for two years and had to do the test again.
    A work colleague allowed that to happen TWICE!

One would really want to be a total and utter idiot to do so! (I wouldn't mind but he's 'into' cars :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

So often seems to be the ones who are "into" cars who are least "into" driving properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Do you have to sendin the score sheet as well?
    my tester stapled the two together.

i should have titled it *stupid question*

Washout wrote: »
    Do you have to sendin the score sheet as well?
    my tester stapled the two together.
    No! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Sparxx

Do you have to get it done by post or can you go to the tax office and get it done there and then?..I was gonna go to Nutgrove today to get that done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I went in in person and they posted it out to me. You can probably insist though (need it for work etc).

Sparxx wrote: »
    Do you have to get it done by post or can you go to the tax office and get it done there and then?..I was gonna go to Nutgrove today to get that done
    You can apply by post or in person. If you apply in person, you will still have to wait until it's sent out by post.

(Getting the licence 'over the counter' seems to be limited to Cork and Limerick from what I hear on this forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sarn wrote: »
    I went in in person and they posted it out to me. You can probably insist though (need it for work etc).
    You can apply by post or in person. If you apply in person, you will still have to wait until it's sent out by post.

To drag this out of the not-so-distant-past for a second, sorry -

How long does it take to receive the full licence, on average?

Well i received mine within a couple of days, but i hear that's pretty quick. WishboneAsh with his numerous licenses says about two weeks would be the norm. So i suppose anywhere between the two really. It depends on the motortax office etc

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Mine took exactly 1 week (5 working days) from the day i posted it, to the day it come back. that was at the Dublin City Office on chancery street, i think

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    How long does it take to receive the full licence, on average?
    From what I hear in this Forum, most people seem to have it within a week.

Thanks folks. I'd become quite accustomed to driving before June so I really want to get out on the road without someone in the pasenger seat!

They should really have it in law that you can drive unaccompanied but with L-plates once you've passed. Only red tape in the way, nothing makes you more qualified when you receive the license than when you passed the test. If anything strictly speaking even driving accompanied (as was stated in the reply to Alan's letter in the sticky:
    Dear Alan,

I refer to your query regarding the a certificate of competency.

A person driving while they hold a certificate of competency must be accompanied by a qualified driver. When they have this certificate exchanged for a full driving licence they do not need to be accompanied.
    is illegal as you can't produce the licence - it's been sent ito motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

is illegal as you can't produce the licence - it's been sent ito motor tax.

My understanding is that once you have the receipt showing that you have applied for the full license, then you're OK. This is why so many of us recommend going to the Motor Tax office in person. This way you physically get the receipt.

While my application was in the post, I kept the receipt and a copy of the competency certificate with me.

dudara wrote: »
    My understanding is that once you have the receipt showing that you have applied for the full license, then you're OK. This is why so many of us recommend going to the Motor Tax office in person. This way you physically get the receipt.

While my application was in the post, I kept the receipt and a copy of the competency certificate with me.

Indeed, upon placing your application to the motor tax office directly and receiving a receipt you are, as far as i am aware, allowed to drive. As you Dudara i would keep a copy of my learner permit while waiting to receive the actual license.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I applied in person at the motor tax office in clondalkin on friday and got it today (wednesday).

Devia wrote: »
    I applied in person at the motor tax office in clondalkin on friday and got it today (wednesday).

I applied Monday. The nice surprise was waiting for me in the post this morning, very quick! Not as surprised as my new Learner permit was equally fast, but I'd expected the Full Licence to still take longer.

Cheers for the help the last few days folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

(Getting the licence 'over the counter' seems to be limited to Cork and Limerick from what I hear on this forum).

and kerry :D

They should really have it in law that you can drive unaccompanied but with L-plates once you've passed
    I think they want to avoid the problem of people utilising the 2 years validity of the Cert of Competency. IMO they should restrict it's validity to 2 weeks or bring in a system whereby the test centre, after passing, takes your details, pics, fee etc. and your application is automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

It used to be that a Certificate of Competency permitted the holder to drive alone with L-Plates, off the motorways, if you held a Provisional + CoC combo. In effect, having any provisional + CoC was the same as having the magic 2nd Provisional.

Part of the Oct 2007 - June 30 2008 regulation clampdown was to remove this legality. Now, a CoC does not allow you to drive unaccompanied, you must bring it to your motor tax office and file an application for a driving license.

But I can certainly understand how the changes can cause confusion, as there is a large amount of old material (2004 Rules of the Road books, some driving instructor and road safety websites that have not been updated) out there explaining the rules as they were, but some new materials omit all references to the former legality and don't mention the fact that the rules were changed.

Advertisement